• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon through the Ice!

DTro

59 minutes ago, fishinnut_3446 said:

Very nice DTro ! Last winter we were on lake Winnebago in the channel of the river walleye fishing and the Son caught a 54"er about a hr.later our buddy got a 57".

To me that would be fun but a little nerve racking fishing in spots like that being setup with Walleye gear never knowing when your going to get spooled, broken off or turn around not to see your rod anymore at all! :(

But, it would be fun if you get them in! :)

6 hours ago, leech~~ said:

To me that would be fun but a little nerve racking fishing in spots like that being setup with Walleye gear never knowing when your going to get spooled, broken off or turn around not to see your rod anymore at all! :(

But, it would be fun if you get them in! :)

Oh believe me leech we had no idea they were in with the eyes !                              Here's a couple pics. Son got his on a DH walleye stinger with 6lb.fireline. 

20150227_104325.jpeg

20150227_182201.jpg

14 minutes ago, fishinnut_3446 said:

Oh believe me leech we had no idea they were in with the eyes !                              Here's a couple pics. Son got his on a DH walleye stinger with 6lb.fireline.

20150227_104325.jpeg

20150227_182201.jpg

I think I would just craap myself if I was not ready for it and pulled one of those babies up! :P

Like I said….we are fishing for these on the St Croix.  :)      Honestly, it doesn’t matter where; they are spread out all over in the river.    It’s definitely a type of fishing that takes a lot of patience though and you have to sort through quite a few smalls to get a couple big ones, but the chance of hooking up with a 100+ pounder is always there, which makes every hook set pretty special.  Not only that, but the smalls are going to be bigger than anything else you can catch through the ice.     

7 hours ago, DTro said:

Like I said….we are fishing for these on the St Croix.  :)      Honestly, it doesn’t matter where; they are spread out all over in the river.    It’s definitely a type of fishing that takes a lot of patience though and you have to sort through quite a few smalls to get a couple big ones, but the chance of hooking up with a 100+ pounder is always there, which makes every hook set pretty special.  Not only that, but the smalls are going to be bigger than anything else you can catch through the ice.     

Ok, lets play getting warmer. River above or below Taylors falls? :)

We all know what lives under a bridge right?   :)     

As far as location goes, the river is full of Sturgeon from the High Bridge North of Stillwater all the way down to Prescott.  I mostly fish the stretch from Stillwater to Hudson, but there are some areas down towards the Kinni narrows that I’ve had fantastic nights too.   The fish move around a lot in schools, you can either move around a lot to try and hone in on them, or set up and wait them out.   We have a dozen or so spots in which we know we can just wait them out, it makes it much easier to ice fish that way.  There is a lot of down time and skunks involved, but when they come through and hang around a bit, its pretty chaotic especially when a big girl finds you bait an eats it.

We did all right last night with 8 fish in 4 hours.  1 of which was an very nice one and probably bigger than all the rest combined.