• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring Questions

Rip_Some_Lip

I need to wire and outside GFCI outlet  for my deck and want to wire from this existing bank of switches and outlet. I have done some limited wiring in the past but I am a little confused on this existing wiring and could use a little help on which one to wire from. I plan on drilling through the wall from this location and install the outlet outside. I would appreciate any help on this project. I have attached a couple pictures and a schematic that is a little clearer. Thanks.

020.JPG

024.JPG

Your missing the neutral wire to the receptacle and onto the neutrals going to 2 lights(wire nut M). 

Hot (black) and neutral(white) going to the receptacle.  The other set coming off with the wires nuts on the hot and neutral are feeding the switches.  Since you don't have a ground wire you might have to label gfci

I didn't wire it but I plan on getting rid of the black tape and use wire nuts. There are some other different things I have found in this old house...lol. The previous owner had some funny ideas on how to do things. I also missed a neutral wire in my second diagram on the outlet. I also plan on labeling the gfci "not grounded". Thanks for the replies but I got confirmation on what I thought was the correct solution. I am wiring an outlet on my deck for my new GMG pellet grill!

Can I edit posts any more? I see I can edit it for a short time after posting but not later.

Here is the answer.

56b02792be7a0_wiringcopy_jpg_e0a2891968de97db706ad1062a4649ce.jpg

Edited by Rip_Some_Lip

Can an outdoor receptacle, especially a GFCI, be legally wired from this box? Is there some way to pull a ground in there to make it legal without replacing all the circuits? I'm fuzzy on my code these days.