• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying with fishing gear

skibass

I'm flying down to Dallas to fish Lake Fork in April. I've never flown with fishing gear before and am wondering what the best way to go is? I'm assuming I should put my tackle box inside my suitcase and I'm planning on bringing my GPS unit in my carry on. The main concern is hauling rods with. We have 5 guys taking the same flight and plan on consolidating our rods into 2 separate rod tubes. Does anyone know the restrictions for doing this or have any tips? The other option is to mail the rods down there in advance, as we know the resort owner. Our airline will charge us around $30-40 for the additional luggage so that cost could be used to ship them UPS if that's a better choice.

Any advice from people who have done trips like this in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I bite the bullet and ship my rods in a good rod holder and take it as checked luggage.  Almost every time TSA goes thru the rods since my fillet knife is in with my rods also.  My tackle goes in checked suitcase.  I get my first bag free with Delta so the second bag (my fishing rods) is $35 or so.  I have a 4pc fly rod that I bring as carry on also.

I have done it both ways, to places in the US and outside.  If you can ship the stuff through a dependable shipper to a responsible party.

Trust me,  there is nothing WORSE than arriving at your honey hole and finding the airline has sent your tackle to Zimbabwe.  They think??

Ship it and relax.

Checked a rod case to Mexico a few years ago . It arrived but had a hard time locating it . It was long so it was sent with oversize stuff and ended up not on the belt with the suitcases . I would ship with a tracking #

I have brought my rods to and from Colorado, as well as Florida. To make the process easier, I have purchased a few St. Croix Travel rods which are 4 piece rods. I put the rods, consolidate to a small tackle tray or two and reels into my checked luggage and have not had any problems. I always wondered about a fillet knife but I've never tried bringing those in my luggage. 

I fly with my fishing gear about 6 times each year. My rod tube is my carry-on and the rest gets checked. I've never had a problem. I even bring fillets home in my checked bag. Just have to plan properly and wrap them carefully.

Be ready for your checked bag to get opened by tsa if you bring a fillet knife. You can just pick up a $12 knife at walmart once you get there to avoid the hassle.

I used to get worried about my checked bag getting lost, so I'd bring reels and lures in my handbag, and they were fine with that as well. 

7 hours ago, SledNeck said:

Ive always checked my rods in a rod case. Never had any issues. I do it every year. Delta.

If the rod case is collapsable, be sure to put a dowel or other stick that is longer than the rods in the case, just to be safe.

Edited by delcecchi

UPS your rods and tackle to the lodge before you leave.  Ship them back to you before you come home.  Tell the lodge to save the boxes/tubes your stuff came in so you can repack.  I suppose you could cart your reels in a backpack with carry-on (I would rather lose a rod or tackle than a reel. Reels are tuned into you more than a rod or crankbait is.)  I would NEVER send my fishing stuff through checked baggage.  FAR greater chance of you never seeing it again vs. UPS/Fed-Ex'ing it. 

48 minutes ago, fivebucks said:

I have flown with my fishing gear in checked baggage at least a couple dozen times over 20+ years with no issues.  I think the biggest thing is to take direct flights.

I fly on fishing trips all the time rods in a locked telescoping case. Reels in my checked bag. And hunting trips with guns. Minimum of 3 connections each way. never an issue. For the price of shipping, might as well buy new stuff when you get there.

16 hours ago, SledNeck said:

I fly on fishing trips all the time rods in a locked telescoping case. Reels in my checked bag. And hunting trips with guns. Minimum of 3 connections each way. never an issue. For the price of shipping, might as well buy new stuff when you get there.

Don't forget the cost of checking a second bag/rodtube , $50 or more for round trip if your rods are to long to be carried on board

Knock on wood that I haven't had any issues.  I get my first checked bag free and second is $35 and even though my rod case is oversized it is still $35.  Now if I ever have an issue I would probably look at shipping ahead although I don't trust UPS any more than airline handlers as there has been enough misplaced UPS packages through work.

When my son and i flew to leech lake, I made a rod tube out of 2 inch pvc pipe with a screw in sewer type lid.  i drilled a hole in the center put a 1/4 inch carriage bolt through a piece of chain and took a hook from a hasp set and mounted it to 2 sides.  i put the chain with a padlock on both sides to secure it.  shipped both this and a box with my tackler to the lodge a week before i left and then tracked it and called to make sure both arrived ok.  they put them in our cabin for us.  pretty easy and did not have to mess with tsa or the airport.