• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Side By Side capabilities

Gus

Question for all you guys running side by sides, Rangers, Mule's etc.

What is a practical weight limit for towing and tongue weight?

Background story, We have a 700 sportsman, and I know I've towed way more that the book says. Consider it a tool, not a toy. It does all kinds of chores around the lake, and does most of them well.

My dilemma is that I have a Salem Ice Cabin toy hauler model, which is a 20' single axle house. A bit over 500# tongue weight by book, and book dry weight is in the neighborhood of 4400#. Loaded, I tend to guesstimate about 5K and probably pushing towards 600# tongue. I'm dying to get out on the ice this year, but I'm chicken * when it comes to driving my truck and rig. At over 11K combined, I get really nervous.

I feel this rig is too much for the 700 sportsman, but I'm really curious as to what guys with side by sides think? What will you tow?

I know I could probably get one of those ski's for the front, but will that really work well? Traction? Anybody ever tipped one over on the tongue using a ski or wheel setup?

I'm looking for some practical advise, even if that means just waiting. I don't have any experience with side by sides to really know what their capabilities are.

in most cases in these scenarios you will run out of traction before you run out of power so I think its important to keep that in mind.

will a sxs fit in the toy hauler? I think that's always been the biggest deal breaker for me when wanting to purchase a SxS. they are great for working but then they get a little limited when it comes time to haul them somewhere. They dont fit in the back of a truck like a quad does and I would be curious to see if they would fit in a toy hauler?

I hadn't even thought of that yet either... I guess I'll have to be nicer to my fishing buddies so they can tow one trailer or the other!

Good thought though... I  have never measured my door size, nor checked measurements of a side by side. Still researching this whole idea.

If you had a wheeler with a solid axle you would be better off to handle the tongue weight again traction is your biggest problem maybe a wheeler with a set of chains. I have a Bobcat 2200 and it was about 3" to tall to fit in my old Lodge and a friend had a shell custom built taller to haul his Ranger with a cab 

Agree on the solid axle. I do have the suspension lockout for the Polaris. Used it for hauling the pontoon boats around, 17' Lund, etc. I can tell that the Pontoon is pretty hard on the transmission/belts even in low gear. That's where I think I may be running into trouble trying to handle my ice cabin.

I am finding the downside of having a nice large wheel house. I do love it in the summer though.