• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thermostat

rossco1418

Any recommendations for thermostat that will kick on my heater in extreme cold weather? Just purchased a honeywell digital and it doesn't kick on the furnace until its about 40 degrees inside. I had to jump the wires to get it up to temp and don't want to do that every time especially after this last weekend when it was -20.

My Suburban thermostat broke while fishing at Mille Lacs.  I went to the local hardware store and purchased a cheap Honeywell that cannot be programed.  (Model: Ct30a 1005 Standard Manual Economy).  The employee of the hardware store told me he has fishermen come in several times per year with broken thermostats and the cheap Honeywell is what they recommend.  I think I paid $15.  Four years later it still works well and is fine in extreme cold.  It was very easy to install.   

I think they keep a more even temperature. Manual ones tend run the furnace too long and get too hot and not kick on the furnace until its too cold. Digital thermostats are able to more accurately register and respond to temperature changes.

The T7771 will run off either a 24V hardwire OR 2 AA batteries.

Batteries seem to last about a  year for me. Using Lithium for the cold. Replace in the fall before hunting season, good all year.

I have a digital in the garage.  It won't allow the furnace to start if it is below 32 degrees and that's because if the chance that water has built up and frozen in the furnace vent system.  I have to use a hair dryer to warm the Tstat up to allow the furnace to turn on.  The lowest temp it can be set at is 40 degrees.  I don't know if the standard ice house furnace if high efficiency and need that check on water/ice buildup or not.  But that's something to check out. 

Do what Fishingstar said, adjust your anticipator. If you have the older style many times its just not level. Any cheap thermostat will work. You sure you have the gas valve that uses a millivolt thermometer? If not digitals won't work either.

Edited by Hawg