• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning-Weekend Edition

I woke up and after I snuggled with a knife eating black lab for a moment I started thinking about our furnace filter.  I'm pretty good about changing ours, not awesome but pretty good.  Furnace guy once told me that the wife should be in charge.  Pre-menopausal women have a built in timer.  Seemed genius to me and since it seems mine uses that "excuse"  frequently we could make sure we don't have a filty furnace filter very often.  Frankly, ours needs to be changed every three weeks due to the three big dogs.  Also, the furnace guy said to buy the cheap ones but not the really really cheap ones that look like spun cotton candy fyi.  Wife never bought into that being in her department so I'm on my own.

I bought a "permanent" filter years ago and had abandoned it for whatever reason and today I'm going to put it back into action.  I will do a little am research on line but probably throw it in the dishwasher.  I know that when I use the wand thing on the kitchen sink I don't do to hot of a job getting much of the dust out, more I just move it around inside the filter.

Also I realized this am I do my version of Chores before I have coffee or anything.  Feed the dogs and let them out.  That makes me feel like I'm a miniature version of a farmer and I like that.  Get the fires going today fellas it's a good day to stay home and watch Grizzly Adams.

Edited by leechlake

Weekend edition......good idea, LL!  :cry:  Good morning! I'm up!  Coffee's good!  Eggs and thick sliced bacon at the ready!  You BETTER clean and check that filter, LL!!! Just checked mine yday, even though I know it's sparkling. My T-stat tracks hours run and displays a "check filter" when it thinks it's time to..... but I always do it way before that comes on. Clean vents = clean filter, too. I had one of the big Spaceguard filter systems put in years ago that use the big box type filter. Only problem is, even at Menard's, they're $28 a pop. New furnace last year, so I think I'm set to go. Haveta maintain and check those guys yearly. Even going thru mine every year from top to bottom, (I do it in September) found a tiny crack in the heat exchanger last year....$#@! It was 16 years old, so I just decided to go with a new one. Had to make new ductwork, too, but thank god I checked it when I did. CO poisoning from furnace isn't too cool. Another point, Check/ those CO's detectors...and smoke detectors..or get ones now, guys. I have two in here, along with the five smoke detectors and four extinguishers. After a career in all that kinda stuff, you see it all. Stay safe!

Edited by RebelSS

just spent 10.minuets on my phone typing a reply, eveytime someone replys i vet a notification right across my screen and cant see wat im typing. not that it matters. so afert numerous attemps.to get.rid of the notification i lost.my weekend edition. now im grumpy and just wanna got back to bed.

Been up for 3 hours and 1 pot of coffee:D Didn't think I was going to do much today other than put some smoke on a turkey breast and watch a little football, but then read a couple posts and realized my filter needs changing and new batteries in smoke alarms and should do some staining/finishing window trim. All have a good day!

Been up a couple hours. Nice outside relative to what it will be. Chores done, critters happy, filled bird feeders, made some Malt O Meal and having some coffee. Watching the birds stuff their faces. Am getting mentally prepared to head to the nudist colony. Some of my long johns are worn enough that I shouldn't make anyone feel uncomfortable. :D

I'm bad at checking the furnace filter.  I think I check my smoker more.  1by25by16 cheap ones.  To me those expensive one's look like they block air for some reason.  They look so solid.  What makes them better?  good luck.

Lot finer filtration, rh. Fine dust gets through the cheaper fiberglass ones, and that's what wears out your motor (furnace fan) and plugs it up over time. Any fine dust/allergens in air will get pulled through and whooshed right back into the air. They ("spendy" ones) actually do not block any air flow, and the pleated design catches tons of allergens...important if you have asthma/allergies and have dogs or pets. Makes a huge difference on how often you have to dust your furniture, too.

Edited by RebelSS

Woke up about 7, made coffee, then headed out to the garage to drink coffee and read the paper while I got a fire going. All coffeed up now, and see that the birds need to be fed again. Their must be a squirrel that tips one out, as its empty about every other day but there's a bunch on the ground underneath. There's at least one squirrel left that I haven't shot.

I better change out my furnace filter too, been almost a month.

Have a great day and stay warm!!!

We have hot water baseboard heat.  But the AC guy said to not use the expensive filters as they cause too much restriction and make the motor work harder.... 

Aren't the blower part and the motor part separated in a hot air furnace?  Like the impeller or whatever it is called is in the plenum and the motor isn't? 

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

No filter changing for me. Electric base board heat for me.

we do at the cabin too...each one has a little filter Smurfy.  If you don't clean it that's what smells every Fall first time you turn it on for the first time and it's a huge risk.  Give me your wifes email and I will send her the info.  

I'd move all the furniture away from the baseboards and get in there right away.  I found that pipe cleaners and tweezers really do a thorough job.  Better get it done this weekend so you don't have to stay home this weekend.

Blower motor and fan are  assembled as "one unit" on an updraft furnace.  Motor is mounted inside squirrel cage fan and is replaceable/removable. High efficiency filters do not cause air restrictions, just as they do not on a carburetor aspirated  intake. You can easily blow thru them. What people don't realize is that there is about 15 times more filter media/area in one of these than a "regular" one...that's what does a far better filtration job. You must also keep these clean, or you will have restricted airflow, same as with any other filter. Carrier and Bryant recommend these for their furnaces.  My Carrier does. You should talk with a NATE certified HVAC person for more info.

ges-r-high-efficiency-systems_clip_image High Efficiency Filtration System recommended (6) heatingAA.gifcomfortfurnace31.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

17 minutes ago, leechlake said:

we do at the cabin too...each one has a little filter Smurfy.  If you don't clean it that's what smells every Fall first time you turn it on for the first time and it's a huge risk.  Give me your wifes email and I will send her the info.  

I'd move all the furniture away from the baseboards and get in there right away.  I found that pipe cleaners and tweezers really do a thorough job.  Better get it done this weekend so you don't have to stay home this weekend.

They get cleaned each fall with a shop vac!