• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm riding this weekend

LoonASea

So are we hosed in all but the arrowhead region, with the heat wave coming this weekend? In the Brainerd area it is looking like the next two weeks will be warm and no snow, so that about puts a nail in the coffin... Though I recall a few years ago thinking the same thing, and I rode right up until mid April! But we had more snow on the ground then, I think.

I only got three decent rides in this year, and none of them was really that good... "decent" at best, and maybe 200 miles tops total. Sigh...

Edited by BoxMN

Well I took off at 9 this morning outta my house outside of Cloquet and hit the local trails.   Went west towards Cromwell then north towards Floodwood. Then back south and down past Park lake and down to Barnum. Then up the Munger to the Iverson cutoff and back home. Almost 80 miles in just over 2.5 hours.  

Trails were good considering there isn't a lot of base. Best thing was there wasn't another sled on the trails

I did almost take a turkey right in the noggin!  Came over s quick rise at about 40 and there was a flock of 20 or so right on the trail.   I coulda grabbed the tail feathers off a couple of them as they scattered LOL

Was a fun rip, even had time to stop at TJ's meat store and pick up some chicken/cranberry brats for dinner !! : )

2 hours ago, BoxMN said:

So are we hosed in all but the arrowhead region, with the heat wave coming this weekend? In the Brainerd area it is looking like the next two weeks will be warm and no snow, so that about puts a nail in the coffin... Though I recall a few years ago thinking the same thing, and I rode right up until mid April! But we had more snow on the ground then, I think.

I only got three decent rides in this year, and none of them was really that good... "decent" at best, and maybe 200 miles tops total. Sigh...

Not saying it's the end but this sure is not looking good at all. :(

This rain is not gonna help for sure. Was 36 this morning and up near 40 these next two days.  Chance of some snow next week but not much.

I'll probably try and get out next thursday again and post what I see.  Gotta run over to Ashland, WI on Saturday for a tournament so will see how things look over there.  Thinking they will be ok as they have gotten quite a bit more snow lately than here. 

10 hours ago, Xplorer said:

This rain is not gonna help for sure. Was 36 this morning and up near 40 these next two days.  Chance of some snow next week but not much.

I'll probably try and get out next thursday again and post what I see.  Gotta run over to Ashland, WI on Saturday for a tournament so will see how things look over there.  Thinking they will be ok as they have gotten quite a bit more snow lately than here.

It was pouring rain down in the cities today. Hitting the lake in the morning for some ice fishing hope some of that water runs off over night? :(

at the cabin Friday in palisade, did not bring the sled due to the rain. well even though they got plenty of rain, and warm temps, there still was 8-12 inches of snow at my place. ditches looked OK to ride, but the lake was another story. took the wheeler out to scout the lake for some fishing, and I just got soaked, at least 6 or more inches of sloppy water/slush, so I decided to not fish. lots of neighbors with cars getting stuck in there driveways due to the packed snow getting soft.

Well I pulled my big shack off the ice on Saturday - great day to do that! Warm and the sun came out, and the process was quick even with just two guys. Then back out for tip up fishing :)

There still was some snow on the lake and the trails and ditches on Sunday, so I went for just a quick little ride on logging trail and the lake, but in the end put my old 88 Indy and the XC500 away in the trailer. Still have the two up in garage in case some snow falls, but it doesn't look likely. But I still can get to lake and back with sled so I might still get some use out of it.

13 hours ago, LoonASea said:

I fish Cheq Bay out of Ashland last weekend ,,,,wished I had a sea doo  rather then a ski doo ,,,Im done ice fishing and hope to end the snowmobiling season in style ,,at least till the landing on Superior open up 

Too funny, Dylan's tournament was at the Ashland High School all day Saturday.  

I made a comment that I was happy not to be out in that soup fishing, tho did see a decent number of folks out.

Not sure if I'm gonna get out thursday, we'll see.  Trails look like they really took a hit last weekend.

Hoping the slush firms up on B-side before the 5th.

It was definitely sloppy out on the ice ,,,,Traction and cooling were my concerns ,,,I plan to ride the NSST this weekend ,,,probably do that solo 

Chris   there were lots of people out fishing sat  but the bite was real slow and almost no one fishing sunday ,,the pout started biting sunday late afternoon 

Just an FYI but last weekend there was pretty good snow on Lake of The Woods and around the area, saw people riding the trails both in the woods and out on the lake. I heard Roseau picked up another 6" of snow yesterday, should be a pretty good weekend for riding in that area. I didn't hear how far east the snow went.

Mike

Well good thing we on HSO didnt plan a ride this weekend  as there isnt a motel room available from Duluth to Grand Marias ,,,With poor snow conditions south of Hinckley every one and their brother is up this way this weekend ,,,,Im thinking of doing a ride on the "trail less traveled" this weekend but still expect lots of company 

Got out for a few quick rides this weekend,,,Saturday I put on 140 miles on freshly groomed trails but with the forecast temp I planned to be off the trail by noon,,,Trails were starting to get soft and the lot was full when I loaded up ,,,Got back out on sunday and the trail was rather bumpy for the first 15 miles then it was groomed and hard pack ,,,,I cant say Im ready to stick a fork in this season but we could sure use some snow ,,,the weather terrorist up here sure botched the precipitation forecast this weekend