• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New pistol recommendation...

Looking for new pistal in 40 cal and

appreciate some recommendations.

I may carry it once in while but mostly just target shoot a cpl hundred rounds at most a year. I looked at a few i like the H&K p30 but still deciding, any thoughts on this gun?

P30 is a nice pistol, but try giving the Springfield XDm 3.8 in .40 (not the compact) a look see, I love mine. One of the top 10 as rated by more than a few pistol magazines. Not too big to carry, great for target. I shot 2" groups right out of the box. Adjustable backstraps, maglula loader, lock, 2 mags, double mag holder, all the goodies in a nice fitted case. Easy takedown, and a light, I-love-it short, crisp, trigger pull and reset. Give one a whirl before you buy. 

I'll 2nd the XDM 3.8.  I bought the compact version for versatility.  You can either have a short grip and 11 rounds, or a full size grip and 16.  For me the compact grip is substantially easier to conceal.  Your body type may dictate something different, or you may prefer having the fixed full size grip.

Another interesting option could be the XDS now that it is offered in .40.  Without a grip extension, it probably won't be very fun to shoot, but you can easily add the pinky extension, or extended magazine for a slightly better grip.  I have one in 9mm and absolutely love the gun.  

Glock has a lot of options, but I don't really care for the grip.

S&W M&P is a nice shooting gun, as well.  There are a ton of different configurations, but I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend a specific model.  

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

Whoop, that's right Lip ripper......I also have a S&W Shield in .40. Fits my paw like a glove. Well balanced; crisp trigger pull, nice all around gun. Fit and finish are great.  Perfect for Conceal Carry. 7 +1 mag capacity with one mag having slide extension for grip on it. Check these, out too....it's a toss up which one I like better, but  the Smith is lighter and a single stacker, hence more concealable. The newer Ruger LC9's are OK;, just a bit too small for the hand, I like mine, but not nearly as well as the other two I have. Check out some of the Sig's, too.   Good luck!

I'm no gun expert but I can suggest you take a look at the Ruger LC9. It has been upgraded a bit from the one I bought.It is just what I wanted, as well made TOOL.  It is not pretty but it goes bang every time. It is as accurate as you will need. It is reasonable priced with or without the lazer on it. It i much lighter than the pretty pistols with the fancy names. I replaced a spring which absorbs more recoil and actually reduces the recoil somewhat. I load it with nasty 9mm's. It conceals easily. It is less than $400 and it is a RUGER!

Also,   S&W Bodyguard.  Deadly little pocket pistol in .380 and it has never had a hiccup sense I bought it. Get it without the lazer. Easy to hide and less than $300.  Smith And Wesson quality.

Smith and Wesson Airweight (if you can find one?   as sweet and easily concealed little five-shot as you'll ever find.Used to have mine inside my fishing vest at all times.

You can choose from a variety of CC pistols but any advice I would have is to stay with the names that have been in the business a while, Just because that cool looking El Diable .45 looks good consider that  it might be made in Lima Peru of old tractor parts and soup can tin.

That is all.

LoonASea...the majority of the current semi-autos are DA's, with the exception of the 1911's out there, regardless of the manufacturer.

Are you looking at target, or for CC? That model is large for a CC; it's basically a full size gun. But, a very, very, nice gun that's been improved over the last 4-5 years. Plus, you have the three different safety's on it with the DA/SA capabilities an side/slide locks. It's also a double-stacker. This gun is used the wold over and has proven itself well enough to be used by many military and high-end special forces. It's just to big for a CC for me, for tarfet/comp shooting, a terrific piece. But, the price isn't real terrific, kinda spendy, depending on what you are used to. Most go in the $1200 range that I've seen. Good luck!

Edited by RebelSS

Oh!   THAT pistol.  Very nice piece as Rebel says but if you tried to use it a a CC your butt would be dragging by the end of the day.  I still like the Beretta 92FS as a quality firearm but it is not a carry gun. It's one you hide where you can get at it in a hurry because it is deadly dependable and high capacity.

You'll have fun shopping.

If you like that CZ, then like Ufatz said, do the Beretta 92FS. They're on sale right now at a few places. I prefer to find one made in Italy...you CAN find them...new. But it's all up to you for whatever you want. Grab a Baby Eagle. 

Thats part of the problem  I cant find a CZ to get my hands on to see how it feels and fits my hand ,,,let alone test fire one ,,,GM have a few CZ 75 po-07s  but its barrel is shorter and weight is different 

but thats what I get for living up here in Gods country 

For competition I don't think there is a better gun than the CZ-SP01 Shadow 9mm.  I have two, one from the CZ custom shop and one from Akai Custom.  In my opinion they are not carry guns if that is what you are looking for.  I would even say the same for the polymer gun.  Great target guns though and you will not be disappointed in the performance.

For primarily target shooting I would go with a 9mm and stay away from the .40 cal.  It is more expensive and more recoil to deal with.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:45 PM, jay83196 said:

Looking for new pistal in 40 cal and

appreciate some recommendations.

I may carry it once in while but mostly just target shoot a cpl hundred rounds at most a year. I looked at a few i like the H&K p30 but still deciding, any thoughts on this gun?

Have you made a decision yet?

Maybe he's still looking. I'm thinking about selling my  '81 S&W Model 19 4" pinned .357 combat mag.....in pristine condition...in the original box...with the papers.....and a set of Mustang grips .....:whistle:

wm_7674399.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

Rebel, I bought a nickel 19-4 with 6" barrel from a buddy a couple years ago. Not pristine but very good, but no box or papers. I love it :)  Very comfy and nice to shoot, though I have only shot .38's through it so far.

Nice piece you have! :)