• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wow, great shot-total bleed out.

20 minutes ago, certified jumbo said:

Wow. Not a great bow shot.  But he sealed the deal. 

I agree head-on is not the best. But your saying at 13 yards you aren't taking that? :whistle:

I wouldn't have shot it like that with a bow.  I think he got lucky and glad he killed it.  Not passing judgement just saying I would have waited for him to hopefully turn.  My experience is an elk really can't see you when you stay still in camo...I wish deer were like that...

FYI- archery frontal shots are very controversial. If executed correctly few shots are more devastating. The killzone on an elk on an archery frontal shot is about the size of a cantaloupe.  You'd better know what the heck you're doing if you take that shot.  From close distance and ground level on an unaware animal-- a good shoooter van make dang short blood trails very consistently. Again you'd better know your stuff if you're going to take this shot-- most who take it either don't know squat or really know their stuff. 

I'll have to admit that I took a head on shot one time.  A buck was making the round-about circuit thru the woods, I was up in a stand about 8 feet, I pulled back at about 25 yards, he kept coming, at about 12 feet he stopped and looked up at me, I thought its now or never and let fly, I watched him fall over about 40 yards away.  Not a shot I'd take again - unless the deer was really close.

Blackjack from an angle above or below the animal the window closes very quickly- most who advocate for this shoot agreed not to take it unless on the same level. 

I agree- a quick death for the elk. But an animal might die really quickly from a femoral artery shot and that doesn't make it a good shot. Personally I don't see the issue here as whether or not the animal died respectfully it peacefully, its is this a good shot to take?  

Maybe splitting hairs on your point here- I agree with all you said. 

9 hours ago, Scoot said:

Blackjack from an angle above or below the animal the window closes very quickly- must who advocate for this shoot agreed not to take it unless on the same level. 

I agree, not advocating that people take that shot but that deer was CLOSE.  Much farther and I'd have passed on the shot. And I wasn't very high up either, I could touch the stand from the ground.

I had a huge whitetail buck come at me one time- my dad chased him out of the middle of a disked field and he went exactly where  my dad said he would  I was just moving into a spot for an ambush and he showed up before I got in place.  I knelt down in the prairie grass next to a little tree, about 2 yards off the trail (not a good spot to be, but I got caught with my pants down) and I quickly knocked an arrow.  The buck, about a 160" 10 pointer, walked straight at me and I drew when he was about 50 yards out, when he was behind a clump of brush.  He walked to 4 yards away before he realized something was wrong.  He stopped and stared at me for 20 seconds.  I was at full draw with my pin on his chest, but I "knew" that was a bad shot.  Knowing what I know now, I'd have shot my biggest buck and he would have run less than 20 yards after the shot.  But, instead he bolted and I took a running shot when he was blazing away at 20 yards and missed low.  Live and learn...  Still, I wouldn't have even known where to aim at that point, so it's good I didn't shoot.

One time I took a head-on shot at a deer.  He was walking straight towards me and I thought when he gets to that tree I'm gonna shoot.  I shot and hit maybe 2" to the left of my aiming point.  He ran away with my entire arrow sticking out of him.  Only about an inch of penetration.  A perfect shoulder shot.  Never again.  Never.