• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Playoffs

fishersofmen

On 1/26/2016 at 0:21 PM, LMITOUT said:

Having a cupcake schedule that results in an inflated number of victories, setting themselves up for failure when there are no more sub-500 teams left to play when the playoffs start.

But it'll sell tickets and hope to the kool-aid chuggers who think the team improved over the previous year.

And that's how Minnesotans live in an infinite loop of mediocrity.

When the schedule was released last year the Vikes had one of the tougher strength of schedules in the league (and toughest in the division). Pretty sure you had us down for a couple wins based off the schedule but since we went 11-5 and won the division it was a cupcake schedule.  IALTO

It really hurts your feelings the Vikes are on a come up despite them having owners you don't like, a GM you don't like, a coach you don't like, players you don't like , fans you don't like, and are moving into new stadium you don't like. 

But here's the problem with your reasoning: the Vikings are not "on a come up".  What the SOS said at the beginning of the season isn't what actually happened and it never does.  Did they take advantage when they caught teams struggling or others not living up to preseason expectations?   Sure.  But all that did was mask the fact that they were truly an 8-8 team at best.

They're really not very good.  

Lmitout- I am not saying you are wrong but in today's NFL, there really are no good teams just teams that avoid key injuries or have a special QB... I believe the Vikings certainly out played their schedule this year, whether they caught somebody at the right time or not they went 11-5. IN today's NFL, with mediocrity the only common factor, 11-5 is still 11-5...  

So division win totals go: 36, 36, 35, 34, 34, 30, 26, and 25. If you listen to LMITOUT, you would assume last season we were scheduled against the divisions with just 26 and 25 wins. Of course that would be wrong, those are the divisions we play next season. This season we played against divisions that won 35 and 34 games, and played within a division that won 34, so the schedule actually couldn't have gotten much harder. But hey, our schedule is getting 18 games easier next season: logical conclusion is 3 fewer wins...

On 1/28/2016 at 11:51 AM, LMITOUT said:

But here's the problem with your reasoning: the Vikings are not "on a come up".  What the SOS said at the beginning of the season isn't what actually happened and it never does. 

Actually you're right, preseason SOS had the Vikes playing the 12th toughest schedule, when by the end of the year they were ranked #10.

The strength of schedule measurement is really only good for 2 things. 

1. It can be used to measure moral victories for those so inclined.  San Fran can look at SOS and feel good about their 5 win season while playing the hardest schedule in the NFL this season.  I'm sure that will help them all sleep well at night, well except for Tomsula who got fired for coaching the team to those 5 wins.

2. It can also be used by naysers such as LMT in an attempt to discredit a team for what they think is an inflated win total. If LMT's logic holds true we can dismiss Carolina and their 15-1 record because they had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.  They then used that easy schedule to lock up the easiest path to the Super Bowl so their trip to the Super Bowl is also to be dismissed.  What frauds the Panthers are! (when reading that last part put as much sarcasm into it as possible)

I'll contend that both are pointless.  5 wins is 5 wins, 15 wins is 15 wins, and 11 wins is 11 wins.  I don't think any player, coach, or owner cares how the wins come as long as they keep coming.  Its similar to the NDSU football team, they don't care that their national titles are from a lower tier division with weaker competition as long as the titles keep coming.  

On 1/28/2016 at 11:51 AM, LMITOUT said:

But here's the problem with your reasoning: the Vikings are not "on a come up".  What the SOS said at the beginning of the season isn't what actually happened and it never does.  Did they take advantage when they caught teams struggling or others not living up to preseason expectations?   Sure.  But all that did was mask the fact that they were truly an 8-8 team at best.

They're really not very good.  

2013 Leslie Frazier Vikings - 5-10-1

2014 Zimmer Vikings-  7-9

2015 Vikings- 11-5 Division Champions

That is what you call a "come up", to make it even more obvious you have the Vikings down as a 2-3 win team every year and now you got us down as an 8-8 team. That's a pretty nice jump in just a couple years.

My point about the SOS is when it was released the Vikes had one of the tougher schedules and based off that people had us as only being able to win a few games yet we won 11 games and won the division. Pretty funny considering we were supposedly the bottom dwellers of the NFC North.

The sign of a team getting better is beating the teams they should beat which we did very well this past season minus the 49er fluke. We lost to the best teams in the NFL but we were right in the game for most of them. I'm a Vikes fan and was even surprised how we fought and kept them games close against the elite teams.

Vikes aren't elite but I don't see how anyone would think we can't compete and be in the mix with Zim as the coach and our nucleus of young talent. The offense leaves a lot to be desired but Zim has that defense being able to compete with the best of them in only 2 seasons. Another draft and free agent period should be able to get a few more pieces to add where we are lacking.

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

The strength of schedule measurement is really only good for 2 things. 

1. It can be used to measure moral victories for those so inclined.  San Fran can look at SOS and feel good about their 5 win season while playing the hardest schedule in the NFL this season.  I'm sure that will help them all sleep well at night, well except for Tomsula who got fired for coaching the team to those 5 wins.

2. It can also be used by naysers such as LMT in an attempt to discredit a team for what they think is an inflated win total. If LMT's logic holds true we can dismiss Carolina and their 15-1 record because they had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.  They then used that easy schedule to lock up the easiest path to the Super Bowl so their trip to the Super Bowl is also to be dismissed.  What frauds the Panthers are! (when reading that last part put as much sarcasm into it as possible)

I'll contend that both are pointless.  5 wins is 5 wins, 15 wins is 15 wins, and 11 wins is 11 wins.  I don't think any player, coach, or owner cares how the wins come as long as they keep coming.  Its similar to the NDSU football team, they don't care that their national titles are from a lower tier division with weaker competition as long as the titles keep coming.  

Completely bogus, from top to bottom, and a misrepresentation of anything I've ever said or what is actually being discussed here. 

11 hours ago, FISHINGURU said:

2013 Leslie Frazier Vikings - 5-10-1

2014 Zimmer Vikings-  7-9

2015 Vikings- 11-5 Division Champions

That is what you call a "come up",

You forgot one: 2012 Leslie Frazier Vikings - 10-6

Was that a "come up"?

11 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

The fatal flaw in your logic is that they actually proved they deserved the regular season record by beating all comers in the play-offs to earn a superbowl appearance unlike the Vikings.

14 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

You forgot one: 2012 Leslie Frazier Vikings - 10-6

Was that a "come up"?

Obviously not Big Dave. When you are 10-6 one season and then 5-10-1 the next season and get fired that is not considered a "come up".

The come up started when Zimmer took over.....LEEEEEETS GOOOOOO!!

On 2/2/2016 at 0:19 PM, FISHINGURU said:

Obviously not Big Dave. When you are 10-6 one season and then 5-10-1 the next season and get fired that is not considered a "come up".

The come up started when Zimmer took over.....LEEEEEETS GOOOOOO!!

Siiiiiigh.....

It wasn't a "come up" when the Vikings were 3-13 one season and then 10-6 the next?

Looks to me like the "come up" started when Leslie Fraser was the coach and then there was a "let down" just like you are likely to experience next season.

Big Dave your posts are more predictable then Norvs play calls.

It's no ones fault but your own you thought the Vikes were on a come up going from 3-13 to 10-6 led by Frazier. You were probably one of the guys that blamed Spielman for his drafting instead of the past coaches ability to get the players to perform. 

I don't think the Zimmer led Vikings will be let down as much as your Frazier led Vikings were. 

Keep your chin up Big Guy!!

On 2/4/2016 at 8:07 AM, FISHINGURU said:

It's no ones fault but your own you thought the Vikes were on a come up going from 3-13 to 10-6 led by Frazier. You were probably one of the guys that blamed Spielman for his drafting instead of the past coaches ability to get the players to perform. 

What a load of hogwash! I'm sure I could go through posts here and find you and others blathering over the genius of Leslie Frazier and Christian Ponder after they exceeded expectations and went to the playoffs just like this year.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:21 AM, FISHINGURU said:

Vikes are on a come up and Foosball continues his downward spiral.....stick to college football Big Dave!!

You're only saving grace is that I will be too lazy to go dig up this post after the Vikings finish next season with 8 or less wins and fail to make the playoffs.