• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scoop of fatheads in a mason jar?

Bdeanpete

I finally made it out on the ice for my first attempt at spearing this season. The good news is that all of my equipment functioned as it is supposed to and it was great to be back at it however, no pike were seen in nearly 4 hours despite assurances from an old timer who was set up nearby. 

As we were packing up, we got to talking about decoys. He told me of a technique they used to use whereby they would put a scoop of fatheads in a mason jar, fill it completely with water to eliminate any air bubbles, cover with plastic wrap, tie it off with a piece of mono and dangle the jar full of minnows in the hole as the decoy. He said it was supposed to mimic a school of minnows  

Has anyone ever heard of this or was the old guy yanking my leg?  I can't see what the advantage would be over any other decoy setup. 

Have any of you guys come across any other unique spearing techniques?

Oh, you bet!!! That's an old one! I think it works a lot better in Summer than Winter, though. That's even shown how do it in the old Complete Fisherman by Buzzacott, the fishermans/sportmans bible from 1903. My uncle used to do that.

I did it northern fishing a few times; didn't notice a lot of difference, but watching on camera, a few Northerns would zoom up to it. I think there was something about not being able to do that anymore because of some regs...not sure, it's been like 10 years since I did that.

my father and grand father would take me spearing s a little kid, and i know this have mention and im sure comonly used to this day, but they'd dangle a shinny beer can. pike we all know are jus curious my nature. Ive heard of the minnow jar method but havent heard of great success.

my father and grand father would take me spearing s a little kid, and i know this have mention and im sure comonly used to this day, but they'd dangle a shinny beer can. pike we all know are jus curious my nature. Ive heard of the minnow jar method but havent heard of great success.

Hope that is an empty beer can, would be a waste of a full one! :D

Some days you could use the most beautiful sucker in the world, spray it down with "Musk of Esox" (I should patent that), and it could swim the most beautiful dance of the sea...and you still might not generate any interest. Other days you could tie a tree branch to a winch cable and get the entire neighborhood to show up. It's a different day every day in the spear shack, and even weather patterns don't always generate the results you'd think... In other words, minnows in a jar will work some days, but I think the tried and true decoy + live sucker combo, or just one or the other, works best most days. My :2c:.