• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meal Preping

mrklean

high alkaline foods work because they are normally fruits and veggies and acidic stuff is generally meat.  Taking some expensive high alkaline baloney may make a guy like Juice money in his profession but is complete baloney.  

And about 'detox"... Here is mayo clinic take on it.   They are quite diplomatic.

Do detox diets offer any health benefits?

Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Detoxification (detox) diets are popular, but there is little evidence that they eliminate toxins from your body.

Specific detox diets vary — but typically a period of fasting is followed by a strict diet of raw vegetables, fruit and fruit juices, and water. In addition, some detox diets advocate using herbs and other supplements along with colon cleansing (enemas) to empty the intestines.

Some people report feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, there's little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Indeed, the kidneys and liver are generally quite effective at filtering and eliminating most ingested toxins.

So why do so many people claim to feel better after detoxification? It may be due in part to the fact that a detox diet eliminates highly processed foods that have solid fats and added sugar. Simply avoiding these high-calorie low-nutrition foods for a few days may be part of why people feel better.

If you're considering a detox diet, get the OK from your doctor first. It's also important to consider possible side effects. Detox diets that severely limit protein or that require fasting, for example, can result in fatigue. Long-term fasting can result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Colon cleansing, which is often recommended as part of a detox plan, can cause cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. Dehydration also can be a concern.

Finally, keep in mind that fad diets aren't a good long-term solution. For lasting results, your best bet is to eat a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean sources of protein.

If you do choose to do a detox diet, you may want to use it as a way to jump-start making healthier food choices going forward every day.

Who said carbs are bad? Who said sugars were bad?  I'd say certain ones are and in excess they are as well. You should practice better self discipline rather than look for alternative "lab" made substitutes. Honey is something man has eaten since the beginning of time, while Splenda was created in a lab and made many very wealthy.  I'll roll the dice on honey, you make the "better" choice on that Splenda. Out of shape people and they're knowledge of health and wellness. Sheesh I tells ya.

Lol, should I spend 2 seconds searching to discredit that? Maybe an unbiased search would be helpful?

true test Del, show me a shirtless selfie and I'll show you one of me, we can let the others here chose who'd they want to take health and wellness advice from.

Edited by DrJuice1980

Leech, thanks but I don't work in that field. I was offering some advice from experience. You have no experience or you just failed to mention why you have this opinion. 

And no, I don't make money that way. Thought we were just sharing information. Thanks for your attack. 

Some quality guys on here. 

...Honey is something man has eaten since the beginning of time, while Splenda was created in a lab and made many very wealthy.  I'll roll the dice on honey, you make the "better" choice on that Splenda. Out of shape people and they're knowledge of health and wellness. Sheesh I tells ya.

People been smoking and chewing tobacco for a long time too, not to mention drinking copious amounts of alcohol.     Sheesh I tells ya.  And I posted from the Mayo Clinic about your "detox" thing.

Nice way to explain your rationale, with smokes and alcohol. Proves again you know nothing and can only google search your answers.  Pretty sad if you ask me, that you trust only what you want to, from a search engine.  

Del, you posted that BMI chart, admit to where you are so I can laugh at how you're trying to educate people on health and wellness.  Please, I want to be entertained.

Leech, if high alkaline fruits and veggies work, explain why water wouldnt please.  Because you are mainly water, not a fruit or veggie.

Edited by DrJuice1980

It was an "analogy"  to show that just because people have been doing something for years it isn't necessarily good for them. 

About Detox, how do you know they have any benefit?  You say they do, and fringe quacks do.  Have you any scientific evidence that those detox or clease routines have any benefit beyond that obtained from the drastic reduction in calories?    Like from a real scientist writing in a real scientific journal? 

Yes, I rely on information from educated experts like those at the Mayo Clinic.  Where do you get your information?  Mary Baker Eddy? Samuel Hahnemann? D. D. Palmer of Davenport? 

You are the one making claims that splenda is harmful and that we need to balance our PH, and cleanse our bodies with detox routines.  Since the consensus of the scientific community is that those beliefs are untrue,  you need to have some evidence to show otherwise.  

I will come right out and say it.  The beliefs of Homeopathy, Chiropractic, and Christian Science with respect to medical matters are false and are nothing but bovine excrement spouted by some whacko back in the bad old days. 

It was an "analogy"  to show that just because people have been doing something for years it isn't necessarily good for them. 

About Detox, how do you know they have any benefit?  You say they do, and fringe quacks do.  Have you any scientific evidence that those detox or clease routines have any benefit beyond that obtained from the drastic reduction in calories?    Like from a real scientist writing in a real scientific journal? 

Yes, I rely on information from educated experts like those at the Mayo Clinic.  Where do you get your information?  Mary Baker Eddy? Samuel Hahnemann? D. D. Palmer of Davenport? 

You are the one making claims that splenda is harmful and that we need to balance our PH, and cleanse our bodies with detox routines.  Since the consensus of the scientific community is that those beliefs are untrue,  you need to have some evidence to show otherwise.  

I will come right out and say it.  The beliefs of Homeopathy, Chiropractic, and Christian Science with respect to medical matters are false and are nothing but bovine excrement spouted by some whacko back in the bad old days. 

Smoking is not a "natural" thing, Honey is so it does not apply here.  But good try.  Neither is the type of alcohol consumed today.  Again, you are wrong, and the only reason you used that analogy was to try to make me look stupid, ha! You got yourself there Del. This is the same reason for you stating the  "consensus" of the scientific community... Like you know that?  Like thats something you put time into. Ha! again.  What, you read a few articles because your search "detox myths" brought up a bunch of sites going with your idea?  Did you ever think that maybe if you searched "detox truths" that youd find some reputable sources explaining benefits?

https://www.google.com/search?q=detox+truths&oq=detox+truths&aqs=chrome..69i57.5296j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Is it strange that every pro sports team has a chiropractor?  You must know more than them.  You know because if their best athletes are hurt, ticket sales dont change. I guess these whacko's are still around, working on the most elite athletes in the world to get them back.  But what would they know huh?

Man, Del, you are a lost one arent you. Id say that excrement is still in between your ears.

Edited by DrJuice1980

Poison oak is a natural thing why don't you put some in your food? 

--Jefferson Airplane. 

Tobacco is a leaf that grows on a plant.  It is just as natural as wheat or oats or honey.  Heck, water hemlock is natural.  Doesn't mean it is good for you.   

The point is you disapprove of soda because it has fructose, but love honey which also has fructose.  Is fructose bad, or good?  Is it possible to distinguish fructose in HFCS from the fructose in honey?  Why take in the excess sugar if you don't have to? 

And thanks for the wiki link to chiropractic....

D.D. Palmer founded chiropractic in the 1890s, and his son B.J. Palmer helped to expand it in the early 20th century.[23] It has two main groups: "straights", now the minority, emphasize vitalism, innate intelligence and spinal adjustments, and consider vertebral subluxations to be the cause of all disease; "mixers", the majority, are more open to mainstream views and conventional medical techniques, such as exercise, massage, and ice therapy.[3] Throughout its history, chiropractic has been controversial.[8][24] Chiropractic's foundation is at odds with mainstream medicine, and has been sustained by pseudoscientific ideas such as subluxation and innate intelligence[25] that are not based on solid science.[9] Despite the overwhelming evidence that vaccination is an effective public health intervention, among chiropractors there are significant disagreements over the subject,[26] which has led to negative impacts on both public vaccination and mainstream acceptance of chiropractic.[27] The American Medical Association called chiropractic an "unscientific cult" in 1966[28] and boycotted it until losing an antitrust case in 1987.[29] Chiropractic has had a strong political base and sustained demand for services; in recent decades, it has gained more legitimacy and greater acceptance among medical physicians and health plans in the U.S.,[29] and evidence-based medicine has been used to review research studies and generate practice guidelines.[30]

My guess is the Chiropractors on NFL payrolls are glorified massage therapists.  

Ho Ho Significant number of Chiropractors are anti-vaxxers.  Who knew? 

Edited by delcecchi

I had to go to physical therapy one time after my only chiro visit.  My Doc said he has a few chiro's he certainly would suggest but most aren't very good.  So we can all decide what to do.  If it works good for you, if you choose another path good for you also.

Juice- you asked what I do for a living because you wanted to rip me here?  You can rip me all you want and since your rip everyone I will feel right at home.  I tried to send you a nice post a week ago and you ripped that too.  

As long as my mind is wandering in this direction I'm curious to your opinion on the symptoms of steroid use and steroids in general and or HGH?  Thanks.

Sorry.  I got my suggestions in early, but mentioned splenda, so stuff went downhill from there. 

Stuff keeps for a work week in the refrigerator, or you can freeze them.  I used to do that when I was working.  Measure the portions. Find what you like. Try spices for flavoring.  I used curry powder, soy sauce, oyster sauce, Cajun seasoning, or stuff from the Asian grocery.

Beans are good also. Cook your own or canned.

lean meat of your choice.  Not rocket science. That's about all I got.

Spices, condiments and sauces are loaded with sodium and preservatives.  Anything canned or with preservatives should be avoided, unless you arent looking to lose weight.  Fresh is the best, stay fresh and out of a box or can.  It doesnt make much sense to go fresh and then throw a bunch of junk on it to "add" flavor.  Fat in the meats should have enough flavor, if not then I would suggest fattier meats.

I always prepped/ cooked everything in containers on Sunday night for the week but found I got sick of the same food by mid week.  Found out it was easier to prep one or two days worth of meals uncooked at a time and froze them.  You could have a months worth of meals for the slow cooker.  Wake up in the morning and pop in a lean roast and red potatoes and you have dinner and lunch the next day.  Same for chicken and brown rice with hot sauce.  You can make pretty much anything in the slow cooker and have the benefit of being able to put a marinade on to spice up bland chicken rice and broccoli.  Also, for green veggies in the cooker, the shaker cheese powder for popcorn has very little calories and decent flavor.  Bought nuts in bulk and split into servings for between meals and had one massive cheat day on sunday to fend of cravings for the week.  Hard boiled eggs are easy to make for breakfasts, and you can make chicken omlets in a coffee cup in the microwave for breakfast.  Also blended oats in a protein shake are good snacks. 

Spices, condiments and sauces are loaded with sodium and preservatives.  Anything canned or with preservatives should be avoided, unless you arent looking to lose weight.  Fresh is the best, stay fresh and out of a box or can.  It doesnt make much sense to go fresh and then throw a bunch of junk on it to "add" flavor.  Fat in the meats should have enough flavor, if not then I would suggest fattier meats.

So, you approve of saturated fat?  And the cajun seasoning I used and the curry powder didn't have salt. 

Low and no sodium food tastes bad.  I know.  BTDT

Your body requires fat in your diet, so yes.  And there is no better source than fat from an animal.  Because again, we are humans.

Whats more important taste buds or health risks/concerns?  Societies struggle is real.

Health risks/concerns trumped taste buds a while ago for me and I couldnt be happier. 

Edited by DrJuice1980

IMO - the best way to prep your meals, especially lunches, is to do them the night before when making your dinner. You can always find a few moments to cut some carrots, make a sandwich, or set aside some leftovers (planned overs) for tomorrow's lunch. Most people fail to take the time in the morning, so they hit McDonald's, Wendy's, or the burrito stand for lunch. A few minutes the night before or in the morning can make all of the difference in your health.

Prepping for the entire week can work too, but as someone else said it can lead to meal fatigue/boredom if you make too much of something.

Also, the old adage is to eat like a king for breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper for supper. Don't sit around on a full stomach and then go to sleep. Sure way for gaining weight.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

Little update cut more sugars out of my diet one of the big ones cutting down on alcohol, meal prepping regular eating a little healthier then before and the only thing I have changed with my gym routine is adding a little extra cardio down about 8 pounds since the first of the year

On 3/8/2016 at 10:14 PM, mrklean said:

Little update cut more sugars out of my diet one of the big ones cutting down on alcohol, meal prepping regular eating a little healthier then before and the only thing I have changed with my gym routine is adding a little extra cardio down about 8 pounds since the first of the year

Good work.

Most health issues facing this country could be reduced with a healthy lifestyle. What type of cardio are you doing?

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, fishersofmen said:

Nice! Are there any good gyms in Rogers mrklean? I may be getting a new job there and am not overly excited about the one I go to now.

I go to LA Fitness in Brooklyn Park been going there for 4-5 years only about 15-20 from my house beats going to a Snap or Anytime

On 3/14/2016 at 9:02 AM, mrklean said:

I go to LA Fitness in Brooklyn Park been going there for 4-5 years only about 15-20 from my house beats going to a Snap or Anytime

So that's not you in your avatar?