• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Habitat trees and shrubs...

I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

Just a few quick photos of the vegetation we've established or maintained around the acreage. Most were taken when the sun was actually out so it's been a while.

chokeberry.thumb.jpg.28a8fffd5db423a6c46

Chokeberries (aronia) Lots of things eating these including me when mowing the windbreak

Cranberry.thumb.jpg.2f1c42ead2a70bb2da74

American cranberry (viburnum). Popular especially with robins in spring when the soil is still frozen yet 

dogwood.thumb.jpg.b3c3402e3c0c6d04455e1b

Red osier dogwood. Catches a lot of snow. Birds eat the white berries as fast as they ripen

Freedom_honeysuckle.thumb.jpg.6552b547bf

Freedom honeysuckle. Birds got all the berries before I got there.

Indian_magic_crab.thumb.jpg.487c9bb8b090

Indian magic crabapple. More horizontal than vertical. Birds eat this one in the spring after they've exhausted their other options

nannyberry.thumb.jpg.13919fe72b524cbc519

Nannyberry. Actually found a few the robins hadn't eaten yet

Plum_thicket.thumb.jpg.612808c9e7625ba0f

Wild plum thicket. The wrens favorite and a good place for rooster pheasants to set up shop in the spring-right on the edge of the yard

Red_splendor_crab.thumb.jpg.16b3c2988116

Red splendor crabapple. One of our faves as well as the birds. Pretty in spring and first eaten by the birds in the fall

lunknown_crab.thumb.jpg.e58ea056884696ff0

Unknown crabapple. Came as part of a group from SWCD tree day. Spines as nasty as a giant rose bush. Tasty and good to throw at cars if you're a kid! :)

yellow_crab.thumb.jpg.3f560b5d274f8b8a49

Yellow crab of some kind. Came out of the same packet (obviously mixed) as the previous crab photo. Awful, bitter tasting for humans but birds nabbed them quickly not long after this photo was taken.

5671c5ff490ac_red_pin_and_bur.thumb.jpg.

L - R: Northern red oak, northern pin oak and bur oak. Transplanted as seedlings about 20 years ago. Squirrels and blue jays have loved having these prolific acorn producers. 

Edited by Dotch

Looks like a good mix. We have a few of those growing wild: red osier dogwood, nannyberry, cranberry, chokecherries. Wild plum and crabapple have spread by themselves from prior plantings. Get some of the wild plums before the critters do and make some jelly. Some of the best stuff I have had. Also have hawthorns, hazelnut, and others.  

I would be a bit concerned about the freedom honeysuckle, I believe that is a ornamental that is still considered invasive. I encourage people to get rid of those types and replace with a native. 

A couple pictures from both 2014 and 2015: 

plums:

IMAG0438_1.thumb.JPG.0558abf61901a94584b

plums for jelly:

568427b2800e4_IMAG0451(1).thumb.JPG.c611

i think this one was nannyberry

20150829_162348.thumb.JPG.6a435d73d2459d

hawthorn in bloom:

20150507_120446.thumb.JPG.ebba2b222c6a7e

Hawthorns with berries:

20150829_105007.thumb.JPG.1493a33fcdaa81

black elderberry and ninebark I am growing at home:

20150716_194306.thumb.JPG.8e393fad0c0d6f

hazelnut, usually have quite a few of these things

20140809_165817.thumb.jpg.e74bf5fcde8be5

highbush cranberry

20150829_114627.thumb.JPG.2e3c410b60537b

Edited by NWKR

Thanks for the attaboy Satchmo and the great photos NWKR. Attaboy! :)The birds are content but deer seem to like us too. Don't have a photo of the pear tree some buck decided to use as a rubbing post. Just about killed it. The hazelnuts and hawthorn are on my list of things to add eventually. Had hazelnuts growing wild in the fencelines where I grew up. Was well aware that Freedom honeysuckle is now on the DNR's naughty list and just about did not include that photo. After seeing what the aphids did to honeysuckle back in the old days though, they were a marked improvement. Al Berner was actually the guy who pointed them out to me when he was still working for the DNR at Madelia. They were still on the Steele Co. SWCD list for the 2015 planting guide. They're part of an EQIP planting from 4 or 5 years ago so curious to see if they're omitted from the 2016 version. Haven't seen much evidence of them getting loose yet but the dogwood is another story. Good thing the wife likes those red twigs for decorating. They are everywhere. Between that and the encroaching switchgrass, yellow Indiangrass, big and little bluestem my yard is starting to look about like Al's did when I visited there.