• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick and Easy Ice House Foods.

Boar

my wife like to premake stuff, freeze it and put it in the oven while fishing. I like to make stuff, i bring a grill, ect.. but with no running water, it makes any kinda clean up a pain. one of my fun faves is omlete in a bag, add your likes into a freezer bag and dipp into a simmer boil till done and enjoy. you guys have any neat and nifty icehouse dishes..

One of my favorites is to do a small venison roast, couple onions, potatoes, carrots right on the stove top in a big fry pan with a tight fitting lid. Have the vegies cut up before hand and in a ziplock, takes less than five minutes to throw the roast in, dump the vegies around it, add some water too, and either salt and pepper or an onion soup mix. Cook about an hour, add more liquid if necessary, and you have a meat and potato supper. I like to do plenty of potatoes and the leftovers get a few eggs tossed over them the next morning, in the same pan.  Quick, simple, and good.  Don't overcook your venison!!

Another quick and easy that I'll do for an evening fishing expedition is venison ring sausage, cut in 2-3 inch chunks, then split and casing peeled off, in a ziplock bag. Throw in frying pan, add a little water, supper is ready in 10-15 minutes. Couple slices of bread in a bag, you have venison sausage sandwiches and beer for supper. If you really want to get fancy you can butter the bread beforehand!!! :)

As you can see, I like your 'quick and easy foods' that was in the post heading!!!

Since I mainly fish on a one day at a time trip I also stick to easy meals.  For me it's home smoked sausage on a bun topped with my German kraut and bacon or sometimes just ketchup and mustard.  Take my Colman stove along, pot, and some water and I'm in buisness.  good luck.

I am like rieny, usually never spend overnites in a fishhouse. usually beer and pretzels!!!!!!!! usually in a hurry to get out first thing in the morning so we make rubber mcmuffins, wrap in tin foil then reheat on the stove.

did 2 overniters in my life. for the main meals we just brought easy slow cooker grub. hot dish type things!!!!!!

you can make some pretty tasty burritos or Chiptotle like items and reheat quick.  Take very little space and are really good.

oh boy Mexican food in a fishhouse!!!!!!!!!!!:whistle::cry: but heck yea that does sound awesome.....boar got room for me!!!!!!!!:P:P

Ice fishing usually comes along just in-time to eat some of that great venison from the year's hunt.  I usually just bring a medium saucepan, scoop up some snow (not the yellow stuff) and melt it down. Then boil the sausage, throw it on a cheap bun with some mustard.  Kind of like plain old hot dog at a baseball game, there's something about ice fishing that makes simple and basic taste better.

A Thermos full of chicken noodle soup is always with me, and another full of brats or hot dogs....fill Thermos with boiling water. Ready when you are. Keep yer buns warm. 

hey stranger...where ya been???????? just outta curiosity what kind of thermos you use? them type of soup thermos aren't my friend. especialy the ones with the inside glass type liner.

Been pretty sick....flu turned into pneumonia. Finally went to Doc this am. Lotsa drugs and antibiotics are supposed to kick in in a few days. 

Did a solid for a guy that turned out to be big rep for Thermos Co. Sent me a huge box of every kind they make...I kid you not.  Ssshhh. Use the Thermos Food Jar for my soup. Love the built in storage and little spoon that clips in place.

thermos-wide-jar.jpg

And the Rock for the dogs....and other beverages. Love 'em.

-thermos-rock-2510-1-.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

man they came a long ways!!!!

hope ya feel better man!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for supporting them pharmaceutical companies!!!:D chances are I either helped build those vessels they were made in or represent the union workers that currently build them!!!!!!!!!!!;);) 

geeze and here smurf thought he offended you, and u got pissy. here you are just sick. see smurf, told it wasnt ur big mouth this time. this time.:D:P

:mad::sick: MAN WITH A FRIEND LIKE YOU WHO NEEDS ENEMIES!!!!!!!!!!!:P:P

man they came a long ways!!!!

hope ya feel better man!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for supporting them pharmaceutical companies!!!:D chances are I either helped build those vessels they were made in or represent the union workers that currently build them!!!!!!!!!!!;);) 

You are chinese?  :P:D

Well, Del, you've done it again. :whistle: I know Smurfo, Boar's breath, and me, are made in the USA, and I bet right here in Minnysoda. Some of the best vacuum bottles are Nissan, made in Japan. Stanley, the last of the USA bottles, moved to China production in 2002. There, now that's all settled and out of the way. So, has was your meat from SL Foods? :P

geeze and here smurf thought he offended you, and u got pissy. here you are just sick. see smurf, told it wasnt ur big mouth this time. this time.:D:P

I don't get pissy; I get even. There woulda been an ad in the the big three newspapers, with his phone number, saying six purebred black labs and six field trial setter pups, all free. Call after midnite only,and ask for Smurfy. First caller also gets a free Holland and Holland Royal double barrel shotgun". :/

Edited by RebelSS

Oh now reb, we've all read your post thru out the forum, your inner pissyness comes thru once in a while....:P

And, with that, yer pointing out I'm not an angel like you expect and hope, or I'll never be Mother Teresa? Or did the intended satire just fly overhead? :grin:

Edited by RebelSS

Well, Del, you've done it again. :whistle: I know Smurfo, Boar's breath, and me, are made in the USA, and I bet right here in Minnysoda. Some of the best vacuum bottles are Nissan, made in Japan. Stanley, the last of the USA bottles, moved to China production in 2002. There, now that's all settled and out of the way. So, has was your meat from SL Foods? :P

I don't get pissy; I get even. There woulda been an ad in the the big three newspapers, with his phone number, saying six purebred black labs and six field trial setter pups, all free. Call after midnite only,and ask for Smurfy. First caller also gets a free Holland and Holland Royal double barrel shotgun". :/

Don't need no shotgun.  Meat was good, I would buy again when I am on that end of town.   Couldn't figure out smurf making vacuum bottles.  Didn't sound asian on here. 

I have some stanley and nissan bottles.  Both quarts and those cute skinny pints, so I didn't have to buy coffee out of the machine.  Haven't used them much recently. 

Those old Stanley's got myself and co-workers thru many a 12 hr nite shift.....

Glad ya liked the meat. I made a meat loaf last week, and 1 lb was from another store, and the other lb from SL Foods, both were frozen 6 months ago. You  could really smell and see the difference, and in texture, too. 

Edited by RebelSS