• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Muzzleloader for under $300??

I've got a CVA Optima that I really like. Bought it in 2012 and killed a deer every year except this year. Just shot a tree in the grove to get it unloaded to clean it. the only thing that I don't like about it is the sights, I might put some new ones on for next year. The front sight is orange and the rears are green, most of the targets have an orange bull so it's hard to see the orange on orange. Also I've got the rear slid all the way back and bury the front to be accurate at 100 yards, line them up at 50 yards and I'm a couple inches high.

IMG_20151214_143957256.jpg

I've got the Optima, too, and it worked well enough to get me a deer my first weekend of muzzleloading.   I'm far, far from experienced with this kind of sights, but I second fishadb's comments regarding the difficulty of seeing the sights.   I think it was $225 or thereabouts?  

I think that I have it narrowed down to these to; the CVA Optima V2 with a Stainless barrel and a black stock ($299.99) or the Traditions Pursuit G4 ultralight in Cerakote barrel with a black stock ($301.49).  The nice thing about the Traditions is that it comes with the Williams metal fiber optic sight on it instead of the plastic one that is on the Optima, but I'm not sure about the coating on the barrel of the Traditions how long does it last, if it wears off are you up a creek?  I know you can buy the Williams sight for the Optima for @ $45 or so.

What do you guys think?  I looked at the TC impact but I like the no tool breech plug that the others have.

Thank for the replies so far.

Well I officially joined the muzzleloader club.  I picked up a Traditions pursuit G4 ultralight, in .50 cal  should be a fun gun to shoot, and I really like the idea of a true safety (like on a shotgun), that way I can have the hammer cocked when in my stand and just worry about pushing the safety when I want to shoot.

Great idea, it would be nice to have all of the cleaning items in a storage container, along with the extra cleaning rod. 

Leech or anyone for that matter, what cleaning supplies would you not want to be without? 

I was thinking of using a bore snake to clean out the barrel when I get done shooting and am putting it away (seems like it would work slick).  When using a "Wet" patch between shots (at the range) do you put a cleaning solvent or the patch? or are you using some other lube like that 1000 plus, or bore butter?

in the tool box I keep the tools needed for my specific muzzleloader.  Mine is a dozen years old or so and I bet they come a bit more user friendly for cleaning now.  Screw driver, pliars, correct size allen wrench and the tool for removing the breech plus.  Pipe cleaners etc.

I shoot water soluble powder so I just use water and then dry best I can and air dry and then put a light coat of gun oil at end of season, just like any other gun.  Beginning of season I shoot a small load through it to remove any oil.

I think you don't want to use a snake though.  You are going to have monumentally more powder residue in the muzzy than a rifle or shotgun would ever have.  I take the wand off of the kitchen faucet and shoot hot water down barrel to clean 95% of goop out and then uses patches and a cleaning rod.  In a pinch you can use the ram rod.  I suppose you could shoot the water down and then use the snake but you need to dry it out too.

I hunted for twenty plus years before getting mine and had plenty of gun cleaning experience.  The muzzy is different in some ways.  You will figure it out with some trial and error and good and bad advise you get from clowns like us here.  

One tip- use anti seize on any thing threaded.  Just a smidge.  I didn't once and almost tore a tendon off my wrist when breach plus threads become almost hopelessly stuck.

i have a CVA Optima as well.   good accurate gun but not the best sights. i put a Williams peep on the rear.

if you dont have a scope mount i would suggest moving the rear sight all the way to the back mounting holes. IMO,  ive notice the futher the front and rear sights are apart the more accurate it is. 

??? Fishadb

i notice u do have a scope mount and open sights as well.  im guessing ur using a scope during Reg season and open sights during ML season?  i was thinking of doing the samething.   does the mount get in the way of seeing the open sights or vise versa does the open sight get in the way of the scopes view?

i pretty much have a boresnake for every caliber i own, i love them they wrk great in a pinch.  

however i dont use boresnakes to thoroughly clean my weapons.

for my ML i do use it on the range after my 3rd shot or in the field after the hunt. (If lucky enough to take a shot lol)

heres how i set up the boresnake

1st part of the bore snake I soak in cleaning solution before the brush, after the brush I put on bore butter on for an inch or so and the rest wipes it clean.

A few passes and the gun is pretty clean.   when they start to get too dirty i toss them all into the washer (dont tell the miss) and hang dry them.

Edited by Mr Special

The mount doesn't get in the way of anything, I have high see through scope rings so I can use the sights with the scope on also. Might buy another one sometime so I can just leave the scope on one all the time. 26 more years and 'll be sixty and can use a scope during muzzleloader, HA!