• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Shoulder

I put this fawn shoulder on the smoker.  Rubbed it with YELLOW mustard and threw some spices on it.  Going to make pulled venny sandwiches.  It's a great way to maker butchering your own deer easier, especially if you already have enough sausage venison in the freezer.   Leave the thing whole and smoke like a pork shoulder.  Takes less time and I put it in the oven covered with some liquid for the last 2 hours at least.  A bone in deer shoulder is hard to foil very good and the lack of fat requires it.

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

Ever experiment with brining or injecting with a marinade, then applying a rub the next day? Might help with moisture, too, but that looks like a winner to me. Seems I spend more time piecing out the shoulders than I do deboning, steaking, grinding, and packaging the rest of the deer...

Smurfy-  I cut each hind quarter into 3 roasts and trimmed the major yack stuff.  When I take it out of the freezer I then clean it up completely.  I do a better job when I do it this way.   

For example- Saturday I take one roast out and take five minutes cutting off any undesirables.  If I had to do all 6 roasts at once I'd get impatient and do a cruddy job.  Undiagnosed ADHD problem but I've figured out a work around for me :)

and maybe it took me 23 minutes, I saw that coming when I typed it but wanted to keep you guys on your toes.   

Last year I had my nephew time me field dressing a deer.  I got it done in less than four minutes EXCEPT counting that I cut my finger really bad rushing it and the time we spent trying to get the finger to stop bleeding it took me longer than any average person would ever take.   I make bad decisions some times.

Edited by leechlake

Smurfy-  I cut each hind quarter into 3 roasts and trimmed the major yack stuff.  When I take it out of the freezer I then clean it up completely.  I do a better job when I do it this way.   

For example- Saturday I take one roast out and take five minutes cutting off any undesirables.  If I had to do all 6 roasts at once I'd get impatient and do a cruddy job.  Undiagnosed ADHD problem but I've figured out a work around for me :)

and maybe it took me 23 minutes, I saw that coming when I typed it but wanted to keep you guys on your toes.   

Last year I had my nephew time me field dressing a deer.  I got it done in less than four minutes EXCEPT counting that I cut my finger really bad rushing it and the time we spent trying to get the finger to stop bleeding it took me longer than any average person would ever take.   I make bad decisions some times.

Sounds like my Dad's story about field dressing a moose in the water.  Too heavy to get out of the water.  So he was standing in the water, field dressing the moose.  Water was cold in moose season. 

Get a couple drinks in him on a canoe trip and hear all the moose stories...

4 hours on smoker at 230 degrees and 2-1/2 hours in oven with some liquid covered with foil.  Very good and very much did not taste like venison.  Let it cool enough and pulled it with my hands, very tender and tasty.  Easy and awesome.  Great combo.  You could eat as a roast or as pulled sandwiches.

That sure sounds good!!!  We ate a lot of venison when I lived at home.  I remember one time I chomped on some tallow that was on the meat and I nearly threw up.  I had to spit it in my hand and kept it hidden until the meal was over.  My dad was very sensitive when he cooked and you dared not show any disapproval of anything he cooked.  So from that point on all tallow was removed when I cooked venison.  One of my favorite meals as far as venison was to make rouladen  from slices from the round.  Still is.  good luck.

That sure sounds good!!!  We ate a lot of venison when I lived at home.  I remember one time I chomped on some tallow that was on the meat and I nearly threw up.  I had to spit it in my hand and kept it hidden until the meal was over.  My dad was very sensitive when he cooked and you dared not show any disapproval of anything he cooked.  So from that point on all tallow was removed when I cooked venison.  One of my favorite meals as far as venison was to make rouladen  from slices from the round.  Still is.  good luck.

I still remember the tallow from venison, from when I was a kid in the 50's.  It would coat your mouth as it hardened.  Not the most appetizing thing. 

I was going to say, there's more non-edible on that shoulder than edible.  To clean one completely and get all the silver skin and tendons and dump removed so you only have pure meat is at least an hour for me.  I know most guys don't go to that trouble, but that ends up in your sausage or burger.  I have friends in high deer population areas that take the biggest chunk or two out then say screw it, I'll shoot another deer if I need more venison (rather than try to piece that out).  So my question to you Leech is when you smoke it like you did, and you say you can pull the meat away, does it separate readily from all the other dump, can you visually see the good meat?

it did solve the problem and made it easy.  I ended up with two bones that were picked clean and sorted through the dump pretty dang good.  I took off enough for a few sandwiches while it was hot and then put outside to cool enough that I could use my hands and saved that for leftovers.  I couldn't imagine there being less waste any other way.

When I smoked it did form a "skin" on it that peeled off easily and actually that skin really encased the meat to keep it moist.  Part of that was the silverskin I purposely left on but it was way thicker than silver skin is.

I would imagine the undesirable silver skin, tendons, etc aren't going to break down like the meat would so it should be pretty easy to pull the meat away after cooking.  Like in a pork shoulder any remaining fat cap pretty much just falls off and the meat falls away from any bone.  

It is a huge pain to get all that meat off at time of butchering.  We do it but its by far the biggest time expense.  This might be an interesting way to go instead.  Only down side is having to store the larger piece in the freezer until I had time to smoke and cook it.

leechlake.....your better at it then I am, but I am pretty anal about cleaning up , well all my game prior to putting it in the freezer.

smurf smurf smur....smurfo, smurfaroo, smurfinator!   You have to get game first, before yu can put it in the freezer buddy. just like fishing, you have to catch it first, sooo please do your self a favor, and work on the catching and hunting part, ok smufapalooza...:D

leechlake.....your better at it then I am, but I am pretty anal about cleaning up , well all my game prior to putting it in the freezer.

smurf smurf smur....smurfo, smurfaroo, smurfinator!   You have to get game first, before yu can put it in the freezer buddy. just like fishing, you have to catch it first, sooo please do your self a favor, and work on the catching and hunting part, ok smufapalooza...:D

and when I am awarded that  fawk tee shirt you gonna bow at my feet at ice a palooza????

ok funky smurfa-deena, tel ya what. u make it to ice a palooza II, we'll have a side bet. like the one that BB couldnt take, simple. large walleye, loser adresses on anyforum wer on together,  the loser must reply to the winner, when the winner refers to the loser in any post. example: blah blah blah, aint that right loser smurf/loser boar... reply must start as such. yes ever great exaulted one, i am not worthy of your exisance, i am here to appease you. for 2 weeks. if loser choosese to just not log on to forum for twoweeks, you shall ever be kown as a welcher... do you accept these term as i have explaid them????