• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam hub light fit Otter hub house?

JSK76

Trying to come up with a Christmas list and I've got an Otter XTH on order and wanted to know if the Clam hub light will work on it?

I should ask too, is the Clam hub light worth 50.00? Does it put out a lot of light? I like my houses to be bright!

I decided to be the Guinea pig and picked up the clam hub light to go in my Otter XTH. I was surprised that you have to take the eye bolt out and replace it with a longer one supplied with the light. Luckily the bolt thread was exactly the same size as the otter hub assembly. Installed just like it as built for an otter! Very nice light but I feel like its over priced at 50.00 but what isn't now a days and nobody else is making anything like it yet. The light output is very adequate and I'm pretty picky on my lighting. I like that it's only the size of the hub assembly, it doesn't look like an add on, looks like it's part of the house. Overall a success!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Update on the light, it didn't even make it out on the ice before it was broken! It was my own fault, I didn't leave slack in the wire from the light to where I fastened it to the pole so it pulled the wires clean out of the light when I folded the house down. I like the light so much I bought a second one. I'm not totally convinced that even with slack in the wire that the same thing won't happen again there's not much more then a small plastic or rubber grommet hold the wires to the light. This time around I'm going to glue it to a round magnet and remove it from the house before packing it up. 

Edited by JSK76

Got the magnet epoxied to the back of the light, with this you can just leave the original eye bolt in the house. I plan on getting a bait puck to store the light in when the house is packed up. I feel a lot better about removing it each time I pack up rather then risking pulling the wires out again. If I would have read the directions about leaving slack in the cable probably wouldn't of happened in the first place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JSK76....

Did you attach a magnet to the hub assembly also or is that made out of a metal  that the magnet you attached to the light sticks to?  Just bought the Otter Resort and this looks like a great way to add light to the hub. 

The back is plastic so you'll need to glue it. Super Glue does the trick. I was lucky enough that JSK76 shared his experience and magnet idea before buying mine.

It's a great light for a hub. As close to daylight as I think you're going to get. Not only is it really bright, but you don't get a lot of shadows or dead spots since it's mounted at the top & center of the hub.

But I think being able to remove it is key. With how tightly those hubs fold up I can't imagine those cords would last long if it was permanently mounted.

On 12/14/2015 at 8:26 PM, JSK76 said:

image.jpg

I got mine at Home Depot, but they're nothing special, I'm sure any hardware store will have them. Look at JKS76's first picture from Dec 14, 2015. You'll want to be sure the center hole is large enough to fit around the nut/bolt of the hub. You'll also want the magnet to be thick/deep enough that it fits over nut/bolt. That's it - the magnet should only be a couple of dollars.