Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

    "Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

    Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area' in the outdoors.

    EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

      Have Fun!!!

bobberineyes

Time for a smoke

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Not bad. It wasn't the best brisket I ever had but it was more tender than I thought it would be since it was at 195 IT in less than 6 hours. I let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours before slicing it and it was very tasty but I think I'll stick with whole briskets in the future. That piece was less than 5 lbs.

That's one cut I need to do on the pellet smoker. Everything so far has turned out real moist and tender,  I'm guessing since the door seals up so tight. I prefer as well to slice that day, the leftovers can go in the crockpot for shredding.. I better go get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.... had my first major issue on my pellet smoker. Last week I cooked two chickens at high temp(~400 f). When the birds were done I went through the standard cool down cycle. Everything seemed fine and the birds were fabulous. Fast forward to the next day, I came home from work at about 5 pm and could smell some smoke. I went to the back patio and could see a little bit of smoke come from the hopper. I open the hopper and found that the pellets had smoldered all the way back through the auger system and burned up all the pellets in the hopper... which was full. I think what saved a major burn out versus the smoldering was the fact that the pellets give off a lot of moisture when they burn. Unfortunately, the moisture steamed off the paint in side of the hopper box. I was finally able to get the auger system working again but had to scrape all of the caked ash out and use a channel lock to help the auger move. It sounds pretty bad when it runs, but did seem to get better tonight after it rand for an hour. The one good piece of news is that I called the big horn company and  they are sending me a completely new hopper and burn pot assembly, which is kind of amazing being that the grill is 3 yrs old.  The new design has an auger that goes up at an angle and drops the pellets in from the top to prevent burn back. I have had thousands of pounds go through this thing and have never had this problem. Just wanted to share the story with all of you. 

 

CB96C10F-B452-4FEE-9C62-657FDFFBB512.thumb.jpeg.b733c976f3bcbade8a2f0ee77e4508cb.jpeg33D4E6C9-470D-4975-8984-0AD5F3794211.thumb.jpeg.7003cd074190e2d102acf104dfe566d9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen! 😲

Me neither! In all fairness there may be a slight chance that the fire pot should have been cleaned before the cook, but hunger took priority!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow is right!!!!!!!!!!!  yea I need to clean the burn pot on mine too....Thanks!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen! 😲

 

I was really thinking Dave would be by to catch this? He may be to busy shoveling pellets!  😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, leech~~ said:

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen! 😲

 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, leech~~ said:

 

I was really thinking Dave would be by to catch this? He may be to busy shoveling pellets!  😋

 

Ok leech I was confused by your first remark but then when I saw the second one it all makes sense. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 9:49 PM, rl_sd said:

Well.... had my first major issue on my pellet smoker. Last week I cooked two chickens at high temp(~400 f). When the birds were done I went through the standard cool down cycle. Everything seemed fine and the birds were fabulous. Fast forward to the next day, I came home from work at about 5 pm and could smell some smoke. I went to the back patio and could see a little bit of smoke come from the hopper. I open the hopper and found that the pellets had smoldered all the way back through the auger system and burned up all the pellets in the hopper... which was full. I think what saved a major burn out versus the smoldering was the fact that the pellets give off a lot of moisture when they burn. Unfortunately, the moisture steamed off the paint in side of the hopper box. I was finally able to get the auger system working again but had to scrape all of the caked ash out and use a channel lock to help the auger move. It sounds pretty bad when it runs, but did seem to get better tonight after it rand for an hour. The one good piece of news is that I called the big horn company and  they are sending me a completely new hopper and burn pot assembly, which is kind of amazing being that the grill is 3 yrs old.  The new design has an auger that goes up at an angle and drops the pellets in from the top to prevent burn back. I have had thousands of pounds go through this thing and have never had this problem. Just wanted to share the story with all of you. 

 

CB96C10F-B452-4FEE-9C62-657FDFFBB512.thumb.jpeg.b733c976f3bcbade8a2f0ee77e4508cb.jpeg33D4E6C9-470D-4975-8984-0AD5F3794211.thumb.jpeg.7003cd074190e2d102acf104dfe566d9.jpeg

 

Yikes! Sorry to hear that happened to you. Sounds to me like it may be a known issue with your specific brand and luckily they have good customer service and are willing to make it right. 

 

Could also be that Leech sabotaged your smoker just to teach you a lesson about buying overpriced grills that he doesn't approve of.....

 

Either way,  I hope you get it fixed and back up and running soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Could also be that Leech sabotaged your smoker just to teach you a lesson about buying overpriced grills that he doesn't approve of..... 

 

 

Leech sure gets around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

 

Leech sure gets around.

 

So, is this where I insert "Rent Free" in Dave's mind?  😉

slide_323274_3066515_free.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Soo..... just an update. I thought that I was receiving the entire hopper assembly, what I received was just the hopper lid. I made  another call and was told that since they were the middle man, all that they could give me was parts- to which I replied “ I need every part from page 5”. They agreed. My 2nd shipment arrived today- which included the entire hopper assembly, a fan controller and separate auger. I have a  suspicion that by the end of the deal I’ll probably have enough parts to buy an additional hopper assembly. Here is the new top feed design. 

 

 

Edited by rl_sd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried cheeseburger meatloaf on the pellet smoker last week. 1# pork sausage, 2# 85% beef, shredded cheese, Italian bread crumbs, Worcester sauce, chopped onion, minced garlic and four eggs. Made  4 loaves and topped it with more cheese and some ketchup and mustard. Onto the smoke for an hr at 400 degrees. My two boys went nuts over it. Thinking maybe pickles on top next time! Had to make up a stuffed onion as well!

F01E072D-9F7B-4301-9B02-7FAEE439D147.thumb.jpeg.d3ccb0ff4d0e19d3e376fef90ed768b2.jpeg

 

7AE99071-56AB-445C-ABEF-CEF2D08E0E88.thumb.jpeg.340700891ac955beca9c52b4503ad785.jpeg

 

3A52494B-BDFC-4C4B-9DD3-A25145100F34.thumb.jpeg.5f97a30f4e4beb77d80423f818a3c0fb.jpeg

 

15EA1FC3-8FF4-4618-8FA3-B1458E886ED7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dynamite rl_sd !! , we've done them before but not quite that way, I'm gonna give those a whirl... thanks. Oh ya I like the after dinner mint you have handy near by!!   👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2019 at 7:07 AM, Mike89 said:

stuffed onion???  have not heard of that before...

Take a spoon and hollow out and stuff it with cream cheese or seafood salad and then put shredded cheese and lawrys on top. Easy peesy! If you don’t want the brown outside you can wrap the outside in foil

Edited by rl_sd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, bobberineyes said:

Dynamite rl_sd !! , we've done them before but not quite that way, I'm gonna give those a whirl... thanks. Oh ya I like the after dinner mint you have handy near by!!   👍

 

If smurfy can have his catsup, I can have my mints!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, leech~~ said:

8 hours later done!

Lots of tasty pulled pork for this weekend! 😋

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

 

 

How much of the liquid do you drain off before pulling? I tried pulling it right in the juices but seemed to get greasy?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • For a good St. Croix rod, I'd look at the Avid series.  It's designed for bigger pannies and walleye.  The Mojo ice rod is also nice.  I've got a 28" medium one that works well on all walleye applications.  If you want a really good Croix rod, look at the CCI lineup.  I've got the 28" Perch/Eye spoon model.  For sensitivity, I don't think I have a more sensitive one.  Feels every nick and solid backbone to drive hooks home.  I pair most of my rods with either Jason Mitchell ones or the ICX-5 reel from Piscifun that came out last season.  Both are great quality reels.
    • ML or M Fenwick elite ice rod with any Pflueger should be dandy. If you are looking at other rod brands. 
    • I love my St. Croix Rod during the summer. A few years back I bought a St. Croix ice fishing rod/real combo for around $40.  The rod was OK, until the tip snapped off. The reel on the other hand was a total piece of junk. The drag was the worst part - clunky - would catch every half-turn. When the rod tip broke I didn't even keep the reel as a back-up, threw the whole thing in the trash.   That was my experience then. Maybe they've improved - also realize $40 doesn't buy you top of the line stuff, but was surprised to see St. Croix put their brand on such junk.      
    • BF Goodrich KO2's.   I have been running the KO's for years now and won't switch until something better comes along.  I drove the last three pickups I ordered straight from the dealership to the tire shop.  Had the stock tires removed and KO's put on.  This is the first vehicle with the KO2's and I really like them so far.  Have about 30K on them with no issues.  They are great in winter, excellent traction on the boat ramps and almost no squat when towing.  I went to these tires because the stock tires on a past truck pulled terrible.  They are E1 load rated, but still drive nice down the road when not towing.
    • Did not thought of that. This would work for family trips. How much would that cost you? I only have one carrier https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/tckay883.html (wishing there would be a double deck for my kayaks. I am thinking of towing it if I would do this but my only problem is if it would not fall while I'm on the way. 
    • I have one, it's more than a few years old. The reel is pretty junky overall and the chrome paint flaked off the handle after a year.   I like Abu Garcia Cardinals.  I dont remember the size, but it's the smallest one they make.
    • We do that every February 14 but for Christmas we mix some alcohol that we will store for a year and drink that the next Christmas. 
    • Yeah I may have worded that wrong, should have said pairing I guess   Right now I'm looking at a Pflueger President size 20 reel but can not decide on a St Croix Mojo Ice 28" medium lite or St Croix Avid Ice 30" medium lite
    • Well, then I am definitely impressed with their work.
×
×
  • Create New...