• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

11 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Looks fabulous rl_sd! Thanks for the reminder, think it's time for a batch.

Agree, I need to break out the new smoker soon. Picked up a nice brisket last night and have two chickens to smoke as so.

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

The Smoker has been busy over the last week...........

Had a 40th Bday party for a friend and got put in charge of food for 60 people..... Pork loin is easy-peasy> I ran my "supplemental" tube smoker for the first time. For $12 on FleaBay it seemed to work well and also sped up the end to end time since I was able to cut the amount of time on the "smoke" setting in half.

IMG_3540.thumb.JPG.bfe9dc132717eceb1eaeaab4a9d43594.JPG

While I was at the grocery store picking up the pork loins, I notice that the meat dept had Riblets on sale... $1/pound - So naturally I had to pickup 10 #. Although they aren't as meaty as a Baby Back or Sirloin full slab rib, it is kind of nice to use them to experiment different rub flavors and cooking techniques... and at the end of the day if even the dog wont eat it... you are only out pennies on the dollar

IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.288121d51e7e7129d252191c613e74f6.JPG

And finally.... yesterday afternoon we had to try out some fish. My neighbor has a nephew that guides in Alaska and is always sending him care-packages of fish. SO.... yesterday we had some smoked salmon and baked rockfish and halibut.

IMG_3554.thumb.JPG.332f85989291e1adc6d156fea3ec0398.JPG

Wow, did you even get time to eat?  Looks good.

Looking good rl_sd, woulda shoulda coulda, doesn't matter there's always next time!!  I did a small batch as well, trying my best in the offset to smoke and dry out some peppers.  It's taking a bit but coming along perty good.

20170904_143043_resized.jpg

Edited by bobberineyes

18 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

Took 3 afternoon's with at the most a 1/2 bag of charcoal. Tried to keep it at around 140 or so. Ran them through the ninja yesterday. Ya not to bad otterman,  pretty warm to.

3 afternoons??????? maybe you should avoid passing out??????:grin:

Ya well us union guys work smurf...ever heard of it!!:whistle: the first 4 hrs was smoke only then heat for probably 4 hrs each afternoon.  I brought a shaker full to work last year but someone thought they needed it at home so I'll never do tgat again.

So rl_sd,  you jar them up for spaghetti and chili??  I gotta try them!!

49 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

Ya well us union guys work smurf...ever heard of it!!:whistle: the first 4 hrs was smoke only then heat for probably 4 hrs each afternoon.  I brought a shaker full to work last year but someone thought they needed it at home so I'll never do tgat again.

So rl_sd,  you jar them up for spaghetti and chili??  I gotta try them!!

yea i read about it once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

to get skin crispy i like to put them in a steam pot for about 15mins, let cool and dry and then put some oil on them and then rub. let them sit over night in the fridge uncovered and then smoke the next day. I may turn the heat up a little bit at the end just to get them extra crispy. My family likes our wings with a dry rub and no sauce so this method works great for us.

made the same thing a bunch of wings and some bacon wrapped pheasant for the vikes game. was hoping for leftovers today but wife and kids didnt leave any for leftovers.

Looks awsome Grainbelt I need to get a dehydrator that's for sure.  Cold smoking on some salmon, tilapia and some cod ( just for a few hours then some heat and more smoke). Dry brined the salmon over night but the cod and tilapia was for a few hours. Never done cod before so we'll see. Never know, it might be a popcorn dinner after I'm done with these!

20170916_152212_resized.jpg

Edited by bobberineyes

On 9/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, rl_sd said:

The Smoker has been busy over the last week...........

Had a 40th Bday party for a friend and got put in charge of food for 60 people..... Pork loin is easy-peasy> I ran my "supplemental" tube smoker for the first time. For $12 on FleaBay it seemed to work well and also sped up the end to end time since I was able to cut the amount of time on the "smoke" setting in half.

IMG_3540.thumb.JPG.bfe9dc132717eceb1eaeaab4a9d43594.JPG

While I was at the grocery store picking up the pork loins, I notice that the meat dept had Riblets on sale... $1/pound - So naturally I had to pickup 10 #. Although they aren't as meaty as a Baby Back or Sirloin full slab rib, it is kind of nice to use them to experiment different rub flavors and cooking techniques... and at the end of the day if even the dog wont eat it... you are only out pennies on the dollar

IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.288121d51e7e7129d252191c613e74f6.JPG

And finally.... yesterday afternoon we had to try out some fish. My neighbor has a nephew that guides in Alaska and is always sending him care-packages of fish. SO.... yesterday we had some smoked salmon and baked rockfish and halibut.

IMG_3554.thumb.JPG.332f85989291e1adc6d156fea3ec0398.JPG

Look yummy. My mouth starts to water :P

Some but not all. When my first shop went up in smoke in 2009 all my door making machinery was literally toast and after that I decided anything except shaker style doors would be ordered from a cabinet door company.

I am looking at buying the tooling to make mdf doors on the router.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Making some quality wood chips this week. White oak and cherry. Anyone in the Mankato area looking for chips let me know.:grin:

VID_20171129_124643313.mp4

IMG_20171129_125252244.jpg

Looks like you need to lower your dust pickup a bit. Then may be you wouldn't have such a pile of chips to clean up and give away!  ;)

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Looks like you need to lower your dust pickup a bit. Then may be you wouldn't have such a pile of chips to clean up and give away!  ;)

Not an option. It's fixed at that height and would mess with the auto tool changer if I did. This is an extra tall bit because I am machining a lot of 2-3" thick solid lumber so the dust collection is basically useless for these things. The benefit is that I have a very large stash of white oak chips for smoking and a pile of Cherry coming up in the next few days. :grin:

But back to the subject- Does anyone use white oak in their smoker? 

I haven't yet but I have read where is is the primary wood used for smoking in many of the places where BBQ has it's origins.