• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

I sure would like to say I caught this guy, but all us pro Fisher people now and then havta resort to purchasing some. Dry brined  for 12 hours , now getting cold smoke for 2, then will add some briquettes for heat, hopefully it will turn out, if not it's popcorn night..:eek:

20160129_153024_resized.jpg

I've been trying different salts with the last 3 salmon fillets and this by far was least salty tasting . 

2 cups brown sugar 

1/3 cup canning /pickling salt

2 T garlic salt

2 T onion salt

2 T celery salt

2 T dry mustard 

2 T black pepper 

The recipe calls for a 24 hour brine but mine actually went about 14 hours, and still was really  good.  And of course I didn't have all the ingredients  ( onion s and celery s ) next time I'll have everything and probably push the 24 hour a little more. .

Fleet farm,  this tube is a 6"er, which will last around 2 hours. They make a 12 and 18 as well.  No coals for cold smoke tube only, you gotta get one. I didn't post pics but last week did thick chops and spuds for a couple hours before lighting briquettes.  This weekend doing the same with ribs..if you like smoked cheese, that's your new best friend. 

Edited by bobberineyes

16 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

You can use these with heat or without,  gas, charcoal,  smoker or whatever.  This is all you need to get started. Fill the tube most of the way lay it down and light, let it burns for a few minutes and blow er out.

20160201_162128_resized.jpg

Yup! I rarely use my chip pan anymore.  These tubes are great!

Seriously? Take a wild guess.  Although that is an actual comment by a guy I used to work with when a coworker was going on assignment and was looking for a new home for his dog.  Needless to say,  Mr Kim was not selected.  But we laughed about it for years.

You got something against diversity? :D