• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time for a smoke

On 6/21/2018 at 5:24 PM, leech~~ said:

Not sure where you got that I don't like folks smoking or grilling things?

I never said that at all but my choice of "grill" or "smoker seems to bother you for some reason.

It's OK if you are a little bit jealous of my pellet smoker.....:P

Pit Boss camping.jpg

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

Had a friend going camping this week and asked me to make up a “few” wings that could be reheated in the crock pot on Wednesday. Yesterday he dropped off a 10# bag from Costco. I laid them out on cookie sheets on paper towels so they could dry out a bit then coated them with some olive oil and lawrys. Good thing Costco doesn’t sell an 11# bag cause the smoker was full! They turned out pretty dam good. High heat for about 45 min. Rotated and flipped half way through. 

766B7445-0F70-4046-AA55-E6B9F6B99CF6.thumb.jpeg.fedfc03a27c918323a3ba1a8c9a9640f.jpeg

8033D9E8-00D3-483E-9212-A59B22F774C0.jpeg.c4710c414b6795db1d7472452a36fd6b.jpeg

?

587cffe1ab5fc_leechlikesthis.jpg.ee1f73faca7611a0e0f0255ca67eddd0.jpg

Edited by leech~~

OMG. If anyone here who likes steak has never tried a tri tip you are missing out. I cooked 2 of them last night for the first time and it was delicious! I smoked them at 225 for about an hour on my over-priced pellet grill ;) until they reached an internal temp of about 110 then I opened the flame broiler feature of my over priced pellet grill ;) and seared them for a couple of minutes per side and then let them rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. We had some friends over and everyone scarfed it all down before I could get a picture of the finished meat.......

If you do one though, be advised that the grain of the meat will run in 2 different directions so you have to take care while slicing so you make sure to carve against the grain.

tri tip.jpg

Edited by Big Dave2

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

OMG. If anyone here who likes steak has never tried a tri tip you are missing out. I cooked 2 of them last night for the first time and it was delicious! I smoked them at 225 for about an hour on my over-priced pellet grill ;) until they reached an internal temp of about 110 then I opened the flame broiler feature of my over priced pellet grill ;) and seared them for a couple of minutes per side and then let them rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. We had some friends over and everyone scarfed it all down before I could get a picture of the finished meat.......

If you do one though, be advised that the grain of the meat will run in 2 different directions so you have to take care while slicing so you make sure to carve against the grain.

tri tip.jpg

Where do you find them? I’ve asked several butcher shops and nothing. 

28 minutes ago, going4it said:

Where do you find them? I’ve asked several butcher shops and nothing. 

I have a friend that owns a meat market and he can get them for me but I decided last minute I was going to make these so I got them at my local Coborns grocery store. They seem to always have them as well as whole briskets.

I'm making pork spare ribs today on the pellet grill. I have never done them before so it's experiment time. I made a rub and used the vacuum sealer to do an old school shake-and-bake. I thought about starting them with the cold smoker in my masterbuilt but decided to run this batch 100% in the pellet grill and see what happens.

2 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I'm making pork spare ribs today on the pellet grill. I have never done them before so it's experiment time. I made a rub and used the vacuum sealer to do an old school shake-and-bake. I thought about starting them with the cold smoker in my masterbuilt but decided to run this batch 100% in the pellet grill and see what happens.

They will be delicious, that's what will happen.......

I like to foil mine after about 2-1/2 - 3 hours of smoke. I slather them in squeezable butter, brown sugar and honey and make sure the meat side is down in the foil. I also build layers of rub during the smoking time by sprinkling on more rub and spritzing with apple juice.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

leech doesn't like this.jpg

Dave, for God sakes it's been about a month since I expressed a thought on the cost of pellet grills. Grow Up! ?  Some of the best BBQ in the world comes out of old 55 gal drums. Get over it.

jamaican-food-4-300x225.jpg

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

They will be delicious, that's what will happen.......

I like to foil mine after about 2-1/2 - 3 hours of smoke. I slather them in squeezable butter, brown sugar and honey and make sure the meat side is down in the foil. I also build layers of rub during the smoking time by sprinkling on more rub and spritzing with apple juice.

Good luck!

I'm doing pretty much exactly that. We will see what happens.

Leech- he's just having a little fun. We all enjoy your company. Have a nice afternoon.?

7 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

The ribs,otoh didn't turn out so swell. They got pretty dry for whatever reason.

You could try cooking at a lower temp next time. 

Too high a temp can yield dry ribs, too low can yield greasy ribs.

10 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Looks very good. The ribs,otoh didn't turn out so swell. They got pretty dry for whatever reason. I did spray with apple juice before wrapping but maybe I needed sauce in there as well.

What temp did you cook at?

How long did you smoke?

How long did you foil?

How long was the total cook?

Never heard of dry ribs on a smoker before. 

3 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

How did the burnt ends turn out? I have a pork belly that i want to do just not sure if i should do half in bacon and half burnt ends or do the whole thing in one or the other

Not sure of the size of belly you have their otterman,  but 10lbs of burnt ends made a bunch. The ends turned out mint, the fat melting at 200 , I sure did like the pepper jelly honey combo, the bbq sauce honey seemed a bit much with all the seasoning that was put on but all in all we chowed and the boys at work gobbled the rest up.  I'll definitely do again, as far as makin bacon do what you gotta do but I usually hit that hard in the cold weather months,  cold smoking reasons. 

4 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

What temp did you cook at?

How long did you smoke?

How long did you foil?

How long was the total cook?

Never heard of dry ribs on a smoker before. 

180 for 2 hours

225 for one hour

Foiled

225 for 2 hours

Unwrapped.

225 for 1 hour.

I also cooked the trim from the ribs and that seemed pretty good. Not sure what in hell I did. No big deal. 

29 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

180 for 2 hours

225 for one hour

Foiled

225 for 2 hours

Unwrapped.

225 for 1 hour.

I also cooked the trim from the ribs and that seemed pretty good. Not sure what in hell I did. No big deal. 

scratching head.gif