• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yotes

@leech~~

There is a time and place for fawn in distress, this time of year I don't have much success using it. It is a great sound in the summer or early fall, but winter not so much.

If you are in an area that gets a lot of calling pressure the electronic calls might not get any response. Most guys hit the e-caller and let it ride with rabbit in distress. Because it works. But try a bird sound like wood pecker or partridge or pheasant distress and you might do better.

I prefer hand calls as nobody blows a distress call the same as anyone else. I could give you my calls and have you blow a sequence and it will sound way different than my sequence. But they take time to learn.

Keep the wind in your face and set up where they will have a hard time working in behind you. Then kill what you call, because an educated dog is very hard to call in a second or third time.

good luck!!!

Thanks, I do have an ecall and was thinking that it may not be the time of year for Fawns as well. Also will be trying mouth calling. As far as pressure in the area from other folks calling we are going up to our Deer hunting spot to try out on a few of the big swamps in the area. Other then a snowmobile trail a ways down the road don't see many people up their in the winter much. We still have some time before we get some ice to get out there. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by leech~~

figured I better finish the euro up.  the coyote buck. 

coyote buck 2015.jpg

Funny that I'm looking at this head you have done, and realized I have one about the same size I found hanging on the wall of my garage and never thought about doing the Euro thing to it. I may just have to give it a try.

No doubt big worry for us to we can't wait to track really, I swear the one year they were watching and waiting for me to field dress him out, by the next AM I couldn't find a trace of it, thankfully hung him high as we could but the gutpile was gonzo. Did you guys read in the outdoor news yesterday about the coyote tournament ? I need to re-read it because how do you prove your kill if it's a statewide type of contest ? February 18th and 19th I think it was. I have not heard any coyotes since rifle opened, the tracks are around and wonder full moon on xmas Day might make for some good hunts coming up.

I'd like to get some tips from him too. I got a caller for Christmas and have been out a couple times, but haven't seen anything yet.

I haven't tried the feather on a string. I don't recall hearing about anybody using that for a decoy, but have heard it's quite effective to attract bobcats and coyotes to a trap.

Good luck when you get out!!!

Leech- You Betcha! Even though I cant say I have had success with it. Even though I just got into Varmint Hunting this year. I've been chasing a Bobcat and a lot of info I have read suggest using bird calls for cats paired with this just like Bluegills mentioned. I've made one for a Blue Jay call and woodpecker.....I dont like the black pole in that pic though, I found a clear stake and use fishing line

Edited by CaughtABuzz

Sure did....didnt seem to care about the stake or bag holding it up so I could just be overthinking it? One modification I will make next year for my Mojo Critter, gonna get an extra Critter piece and strip the fur then replace with feathers

17 minutes ago, lovebigbluegills said:

Looks like the feather worked like a champ!!!

Have you been out yet Leech?

Not yet, my son and I are just gearing up for our first ever try at these Wily Coyotes. We are hoping we can clean a few out of our Deer hunting area before spring when the fawns drop to stop some of this. ;)

coyote-fawn.jpg

Edited by leech~~

Hopefully I'll be able to get out this afternoon around 5 or so, and try until dark. Hopefully one of these times, I can get one to come to where I can see it anyhow. Just to know that what I'm doing isn't completely backwards.

I've been reading through some of GrayFox's old posts from last winter, and he said his average is 45-80 minutes in one spot. 45 minutes has been the longest I've been in one spot so far, so I'll be starting to sit a bit longer.

I wish I knew what all the different types of howls, etc meant when they communicate among themselves (challenges, etc) as it sounds like that how he usually gets them into range.

I've just been plugging away with different rabbit distress calls so far. And the mojo critter.

Edited by lovebigbluegills
added mojo critter

On 1/8/2016 at 10:21 AM, leech~~ said:

Not yet, my son and I are just gearing up for our first ever try at these Wily Coyotes. We are hoping we can clean a few out of our Deer hunting area before spring when the fawns drop to stop some of this. ;)

coyote-fawn.jpg

Did you and your son make it out to try get a coyote or three?

I made it out a few times, and the best I got to respond was aboot 20 magpies.

No it's kind of his show since it was his idea so I'm waiting for him to plan a day. But he needs to know that once I start ice fishing and sledding, it maybe late winter before I get out with him.

They cut loose last night twice that I heard just a couple hundred yards south of my house. It sounded like 8-10 coyotes. Once about 7 pm and then about 145 am. There are several pieces of state or county land just NW of Laporte that are prime real estate for them. These were in a small 10 acre piece right between 7 houses and right next to a guy that has cattle.

Well gave it a shot this morning for the first time ever trying to nail a yote to try and save a few Fawns. Buzzed up to our hunting spot about 2 1/2hr ride at 4:00am and spent an 1 1/2hrs calling with mouth and Elc calls. Very nice morning to be in the woods but the only thing I had come by was a pretty long beard Tom!  And no tag this year! :cry: 

So, if I get a Turkey tag next year for that area I'm just going to use Coyote calls! :D

Edited by leech~~

This time of year is difficult. There are the few occasions that they will come to a turkey call. But there are some other factors that make things difficult.

There is a very large abundance of road kill. With the winter over and things thawing out a lot of effort free food is just sitting there.

They are denning up and having pups. They don't travel far at this point. 

Babies and afterbirth. Again, easy food is better than fighting an owl for a die'ing rabbit. Between the farms and nature there is a lot happening right now that takes very little effort. 

33 minutes ago, Neighbor_guy said:

This time of year is difficult. There are the few occasions that they will come to a turkey call. But there are some other factors that make things difficult.

There is a very large abundance of road kill. With the winter over and things thawing out a lot of effort free food is just sitting there.

They are denning up and having pups. They don't travel far at this point.

Babies and afterbirth. Again, easy food is better than fighting an owl for a die'ing rabbit. Between the farms and nature there is a lot happening right now that takes very little effort.

I agree with you Matt, but the nearest tar road is like 5 miles away from where I was. Pretty deep woods in that area. I knew it was a long shot but sure would like to take a few fawn killers out of the woods right now!