• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swedish Sausage

I think that's another great tool for the kitchen Del, thanks!!  I think it would be a great tool for re-heating a ring or even cooking a ring or two without bursting the casing.  Maybe not for a large family or large amounts of sausage making but perfect for a couple or small family.  Every tool in the kitchen has a purpose and this one is unique.  Still need to sear the steak afterwards or prior to placing the steak in there [probably better afterwards which is called reverse searing]  but a time saver for many uses and you get exact results.  I'm sure your wife will love it.  I'll have to look into one myself.  good luck.

If you want to do bigger quantities of food, the trick is to put the water in a small to medium size cooler with a chunk cut out of the lid.     The heater puts out 800 watts, so It will handle right much water in a cooler.  Starting with warm or hot water might speed things up, getting to temperature.

Ok, I posted the two recipe's for the Swedish sausage I made on my page [www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com] in the Homemade Sausage page.  One recipe is for the 3 pound batch for those who want to test it and the other is the 10 pound batch for those who want to make more or a amount.  This worked out for me in texture and flavor.  good luck.

Ok, I posted the two recipe's for the Swedish sausage I made on my page [www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com] in the Homemade Sausage page.  One recipe is for the 3 pound batch for those who want to test it and the other is the 10 pound batch for those who want to make more or a amount.  This worked out for me in texture and flavor.  good luck.

OK, I finally got a chance to look at your page.............and think I gained 10 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::D

just got a call from my sister.  She made the potato sausage this year.  Typicaly stuff, she complained it didn't have enough salt, the casings were goofy...  As she told me of the adventure she mentioned that "there was one problem".  They put the rings in the pot to softly boil at about 7pm.  1/2 hours is about normal.  She got up at 11pm to get some water and my brother in law was watching tv in living room and the sausage was still boiling in the pot.  I think it's safely done.

Two rings stayed in tact and she was overly optimistic because none of it exploded but the balance of the rings were no longer encased in the casing.  I assume they cooked to smithereens and then the casing came off leaving a solid sausage looking item.  

I don't know what 4 hour boiled hash tastes like if anything but one week from tonight I will know.  I'm guessing pretty bland.  I gave her a thumbs up and didn't have the heart to tell her 4 hours boiled sausage without casings may be a little bland and a little dry.  

I feel bad for her.  I've had that happen to me years ago and once they burst it's not the same.  Little long in the water for sure and the water got too hot, but nothing we can do about that now.  To go through all the prep and to have that happen is not a good feeling.  When we sold Swede's years ago in a meat market, we sold them fresh, uncooked.  They were in beef casings which are bigger and tougher, so blow out's were not as common.  Now most use hog casings [like me] and greater care should be used with them.  That's why I like my large electric roaster.  The water get's hot enough but no boiling and you can adjust the water temp up to a point.  On a large pot, you can bring the water up to boil, but them turn it on its lower setting so the water stay's hot but is not boiling.  After 20 minutes or so, take a ring out and check for the internal temp.  Once it reaches 150 deg, you can take it out for cooling.  I hope your sister makes them again, even after having this happen to her.  good luck.