• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bacon Fried Dumplings

I will be making these next weekend for my sister who hasn't had them in over ten years. My grandmother would make the dumplings by tearing a loaf of bread into pieces & mixing in grated potatoes & cream of wheat, form into balls and boil. The rest of the meal consisted of a pork roast with gravy (gravy over the dumplings) and a sweet & sour cabbage. I will have to try it your way for breakfast, I just put everything in a skillet & fry it all together for brunch the next day

I can remember these since I was a kid in Germany.  We boil potatoes with the skin on until tender.  Drain the water and let the taters cool.  Then we peel the taters and run them through a riser.  Depending on the amount of the potatoes we put a egg or two on the taters, some salt and flour.  The key is the amount of flour when you mix everything and start forming the texture.  That is the key.  Right amount of flour until you can form the mix into a roll and start cutting small pieces off the roll.  

Then you get some water boiling in a large pot.  Put some salt in there.  Once boiling cut it down to a simmer and start dropping the dumplings in there.  Not too many at a time.  I go maybe 8 or so.  They will drop to the bottom and when they all rise to the top wait a couple of more minutes and start taking them out.  I will be making them again soon for Christmas and will get a better recipe to follow with pics.  That would be more helpful.  The leftover dumplings we keep overnight in the fridge for breakfast the next day.  good luck.

I think they are somewhat like those Del but unique in the way they are made.  I haven't put a recipe on my page for this yet because I have never measured anything used for these dumplings except for the amount of eggs.  So the next time I make these I will measure everything and post it with pics and step by steps.  These dumplings have been a must for us as long as I can remember.  good luck.

The recipe sounded just like gnocchi.  That's why I asked. 

Amendment:   Gnocchi don't have eggs in them, I just looked at a recipe.  Just potatoes,and flour.  So that is a difference there. 

Edited by delcecchi

I have had them both Del and there is a difference in texture for one thing.  Perhapst  if I ate some homemade spaetzle or gnocchi it may be different but any time something is made by some company it's just not the same.  They seem to cut corners but they are convenient at times.  Homemade dumplings do take some prep work and time.  good luck.