• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Reel

clKiekhafer

I'm just starting out with some musky tackle and looking for some suggestions.  I'm looking for ideas for a good baitcaster reel, one that is good quality that won't break the bank.  I'm not interested in junk because I know the long term cost is much higher if buying the cheap stuff, but then again I'm not looking to pay the high prices for some of the stuff that's out there either.

Any info that you guys could share would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

You can find Revo Toro NaCl's for around $200-$250 right now. I've seen some cheaper than that even brand new in the box. Those are very nice reels for the money IMO. Daiwa Saltists are awesome reels as well and I believe those are around $220. The Lexa 300's are solid reels and if you're into spending $280 the Curado 300EJ is a great reel too. Shimano Calcutta 400B's are solid reels as well. Those are just some reels that in my experience will last you and don't kill your wallet. Go to Thorne's or somewhere that you can look at the reels and hold them in your hand and make a decision from there.

Hope this helps,

-Zander 

Shimano 400B. Have 2, many fish boated on them up to 45 pounds and no issues at all knock on wood but they seem pretty solid for around $229.00. Handles still are snug and strong, fishes well.1 I've had now for 10 years throwing big blades and baits, seems alright.

Don't forget to do some searching online and check out online muskie forums and Facebook groups, most have classified sections and you can get some used equipment for a steal in very good shape.  My last 2 reels I bought I bought online and got some sweet deals, you can even find some new equipment for good deals. 

I've been very satisfied with my two Revo Toro's (one mid-speed and a HS) and my Daiwa Saltist 20 HC. All those reels can be had for less than $200 if you shop around. 

Also hear nothing but good things about Shimano Calcutta 400B for a mid-priced reel, but it's just a little too slow for me.

Geez, y'all have a different understanding of "affordable" than I do.

I use a Shimano Cardiff. About $100 new. Parts (even upgrade parts) are easy to come by. It is durable and fishes great.

If you plan to fish long days, several times a week, it probably makes sense to throw an extra $100-$200 into a lighter/faster/bulletproofer reel. But if you're just looking for a solid reel that won't disappoint a recreational musky fisherman, a Cardiff is a good choice. Buy one used and put the $40 you save toward good line and leaders.

...and don't feel guilty if you outfish the guy with the $300 revo.

just my 2 cents