• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled eggs!

Reb- we need to have a beet intervention.  Send me Del's address if you have it and we can meet there and he can make us a sous vide steak for afterwards.  Wait til the snow melts though.

22 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

My first attempt at pickled eggs. Have been saving my jars of pickled beet juice, dropped the eggs in that overnite and let sit in the 'fridge'. We'll know what they taste like come lunch time. Kinda look like Easter eggs. "Here' kid, have an egg".....;)

maudqs.jpg

kid, "no thank you, they look like beets"

Now those look good. Those are the type of pickled eggs and beets I know of. I must've lived a shelter life or we don't make the other kind of pickled beets I've seen here on this thread down here in PA. To me the other type looks kind of scary to me :sick: :huh:. Beets, sugar, apple cider vinagar and thinly sliced onions. Libby's beets have the darkest red juice for the eggs

Edited by Coffee118

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

My first attempt at pickled eggs. Have been saving my jars of pickled beet juice, dropped the eggs in that overnite and let sit in the 'fridge'. We'll know what they taste like come lunch time. Kinda look like Easter eggs. "Here' kid, have an egg".....;)

maudqs.jpg

Do those look like this on the inside???

Pickled_eggs.jpg

I dunno yet.....thinking some type of sauce/glaze. Mixed some honey, small bit of fresh lime juice, and peach jam the other day with a bit of smoky chipotle powder and microwaved it for a minute, until it was mixed and smooth. After it cooled off, brushed some chicken thighs with it on the grill...they were great. Might have to extend that one a bit Have used fresh OJ with it too, in the past. With this roaring storm, not much else to do. NOW saying 15-18" of it by tomorrow.......:mad:

That glaze sounds good. A little monkeying around with pickled beet juice and you might have a real winner!!!!!

How much snow on the ground so far???

Maybe LL will try some pickled beet juice as hair dye.... :D

Edited by lovebigbluegills

4 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I dunno yet.....thinking some type of sauce/glaze. Mixed some honey, small bit of fresh lime juice, and peach jam the other day with a bit of smoky chipotle powder and microwaved it for a minute, until it was mixed and smooth. After it cooled off, brushed some chicken thighs with it on the grill...they were great. Might have to extend that one a bit Have used fresh OJ with it too, in the past. With this roaring storm, not much else to do. NOW saying 15-18" of it by tomorrow.......:mad:

or he could throw the beet juice down the drain to unclog them!!!!!!! or when it quits snowing, throw it in the snowbank along the street and wait to see how long it takes the cops to stop and investigate a murder?????????

3 minutes ago, smurfy said:

or he could throw the beet juice down the drain to unclog them!!!!!!! or when it quits snowing, throw it in the snowbank along the street and wait to see how long it takes the cops to stop and investigate a murder?????????

Good idea. I'll sprinkle a few used .40 brass casings around the spot, along with a beet stained stocking cap. Maybe go pour the jar of beet juice on the drunken idjit's white labradoodle thing next door.

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Somehow, the "pickled beet flavor" didn't taste right with the eggs. No biggie, though, just drop dropped the eggs in the beet jar. Time to move on to the next experiment. :P

Somehow?  Huh...what...seriously?  Did you think those were going to taste good?  I need a drink...

3 minutes ago, leechlake said:

Somehow?  Huh...what...seriously?  Did you think those were going to taste good?  I need a drink...

Isn't that when one normally eats pickled (eggs,gizzards, pigs feet, etc)

Wisconsin hole-in-the -wall taverns are the best. Pickled everything and two types (at least) of string cheese in every one.  Beer nuts and stale nuts from the little red light-bulb heated huts. 10" Tombstone pizza's. Plus the big jars of pickles the size of a baby's arm. Or some of the guys on here.

On March 9, 2016 at 8:37 PM, landscaper said:

Saturday afternoon my wife and I made "spicy pickled eggs" with habanero,jalapeño,red bell peppers,onions,and garlic are the main ingredients.  anyone wants the rest of the ingredients just ask..or wait till i try them first!

This is my/our first go with any pickled eggs so hopefully it turns out good!!

How long does everyone let them sit for?  i have read 1 week to 3 weeks??

Thanks guys

Well…………………….They turned out really good….just a little too "SWEET" for my liking they had a good vinegar taste and a very little spicy but mostly it was sweet  then the vinegar taste comes.   

I tired a different recipe today with more spice so now…we are back to waiting!

Had to dig up this thread so I could peek at what went into these eggs. We made 2 batches right away but then we haven't made any more. My wife is requesting more so it looks like I'll be peeling eggs this week. :(

I absolutely despise peeling eggs, and yes, I have tried the "p-r-i-c-k" method...:P

On 4/10/2017 at 6:55 AM, delcecchi said:

13 minutes in a basket steamer.  Perfect and easy to peel.  

Get the water boiling and making steam before you put the eggs in.    :lol::D:P

Hmmmm, I've never tried one of those before. How many can you do at a time?

Edited by Big Dave2