• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled eggs!

Thought I would throw together a batch of pickled eggs for the second weekend of deer camp. Pretty easy recipe, and dang tasty if I do say so. The longer they sit, the better they are, but a good week should be about perfect. The good news is I sleep in my fish house and not in the cabin, so I don't care how bad that place smells in the morning, actually, it may be an improvement!! :)

So how does one make these delicious eggs you ask?? Well here it is!!

24-30 eggs depending on size of jar

1 jar of Mezetta's California hot mix, juice and all

1 jar of  Mezetta's sliced banana peppers, juice and all

1Tbsp ground turmeric

1Tbsp chili powder

1 jar of the big green olives, drain the juice on these. (optional)

Fill the rest of the way with white vinegar, let sit for as long as you can, stir it up, or shake it around a couple of times a day,  and enjoy!!

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2833.JPG

WOW! All of the scent blocker in the world won't keep any deer within 5 miles from getting a wiff of you after a few of those! :lol:

I'm not sure there is a scent killer made that would help us out by the second weekend with all the deer sausage, pickled eggs, pickled fish, and a few beers to top it off!!  Gotta love deer camp!

Sorry for the slow response guys, the answer is no. Just pour it in, and give it a week. very easy.

Also no to the tooth pick, they will turn a bright yellow after a couple of days, and they are plenty tasty, in my mind that is!!

Edited by icehole10

That has to be the easiest recipe I've seen for eggs, the ones I've used have 3 times the stuff to round up and boil.:cool:..do you run a toothpick through em before they go in the jar?

I was wondering the same on making a few holes with a tooth pick to let more goodness inside?

Poking holes would be something to try, it sure wouldn't hurt anything. I made these one year to bring to We Fest, back before I retired (from We Fest) and the longer they sit the more potent they get. This particular batch sat for a couple of weeks and then sat in the sun at We Fest in 90 degree heat, and they were some of the best ones I have ever had. A week has always been when I start digging in to them.

I WOULDNT TOUCH PICKLED EGGS WITH A 10 FT POLE

Any you are the same guy giving Boar all that grief about horseradish!! :grin:  Sorry had to say it!

Poking holes would be something to try, it sure wouldn't hurt anything. I made these one year to bring to We Fest, back before I retired (from We Fest) and the longer they sit the more potent they get. This particular batch sat for a couple of weeks and then sat in the sun at We Fest in 90 degree heat, and they were some of the best ones I have ever had. A week has always been when I start digging in to them.

Any you are the same guy giving Boar all that grief about horseradish!! :grin:  Sorry had to say it!

yep I am! but horseradish good for you!!!!!

I sure tried to go off your recipe icehole,  but my local market didn't have the hot mix. I had everything else,  even tossed the olives in. So instead I went with jalapeños,  hot banana peppers with some red peppers and the rest of the ingredients. ..Thanks for sharing. 

20160116_140350_resized.jpg

Dave, I got most mine from the people that ran the concession stand at the ball park. Maybe look for them at restaurants or business that serve alot of pickles. Or start buying the big jars of pickles and eat away. I have noticed though the glass jars are harder to come. There call going plastic now.

http://www.amazon.com/Pakkon-Kombucha-Fermenting-Pickling-Dishwasher/dp/B012BAWVU8/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1453468840&sr=1-5&keywords=gallon+glass+jar

Gallon glass jar with a plastic lid. 

ten bucks at amazon.  prime eligible. 

A bunch of other choices up to 2.5 gallons as well.  Or perhaps a home brewing store. 

Edited by delcecchi