• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Timberwolves, 2015-2016

pikestabber

I'll start a new thread for the new season by saying Rest in Peace, Flip Saunders. A great basketball mind and, by all accounts, a great human being. You will be missed.

Anyone stay up for the game last night? I made it midway through the second quarter before I dozed off. I guess I saw a bit of both things I was expecting... Some penchant for scoring and some sloppy D...both marks of a young team. Towns might just be a force down low.  He plays bigger than I thought he would. Prince did okay distributing the ball but didn't really seem like a scoring threat. The big surprise for me was Rubio... WTH? He was a maniac in the first quarter. Driving the lane, taking open look shots, etc. And his long ball had (wait for it) an ARC to it! I was shocked! :) I was a waiting for the patented flat beamer at the backboard, but he looked like whole new player out there. I see he finished with 28 and 14. Now, I don't expect he'll maintain anywhere close to that, but it was nice to see for once.

That said, they were getting matched in intensity and we looked like we were going to get run out of the building by the end of it. So I guess I was very pleasantly surprised to see we came back and won 112-111. Nice job on the road, even if it is the lowly Lakers (love saying that). Here's to a 1-0 start.

Hard to say where this plays out, but I think best case, we snag a 7-8 seed, worst case, we pick in the top 5 again. Thoughts? Expectations?

What a game for Ricky and what a surprise!!!  never would I expect him to have 28 points with such shooting efficiency!!!  I mean he was even making his layup!!! haha  well here is to an 82-0 season...

I agree that I think if things go right we can certainly be playing for the 8th seed in the west but I don't see us having a under 30 win season getting us in the lottery.  We have a good mix of young and older players and we have some guys that can stroke the ball this year.  Teams certainly can't overlook the Wolves this year!!!!

Playoffs??? Please remember we play in the WEST and it is loaded again. I would love to see them play better but reality is the western Conf is too tough IMO to get them in.

Loved Rubio's jumper, looked like an NBA jumper! LAL are in the same boat as us with an aged Superstar and a youth movement. Kobe was effective but monopolized the ball too much IMO, we need to keep Wiggins involved more and let Rubio make decisions with the ball.

Last year the 8th seed in the west won 45 games! That's gonna be the going rate again this year. Don't let 1 win over a disaster of a lakers organization get you all delusional. While I think the team will be much more improved, 28 wins is about the best you can expect from this squad.

I agree... don't take my post as a downer on the wolves, I am very excited about their improvement and I like what I see from new guys, Towns and Euro guy... I hope what we saw from ricky was due to him really working on his jumper while rehabbing, cause then he would be really dangerous. I know wiggins will come around but they all need to find their place in the team. While I see them moving up I still see the west so loaded with good teams that they do not stand much of a chance for playoffs. 

Bunch of Debbie Downers in this group!! :P  Looks like you can't have a little excitement and enthusiasm with the T-pups!!!  I like to be optimistic when the season starts and hope for the best case scenario...now would I put money on them getting in the playoffs? NO- but I don't think they will be a push over and will surprise a lot of teams.  I have Oklahoma, San Antonio, Clippers, Golden State, and Houston as locks for the playoffs  and maybe Memphis but to me the 6-8 spots will be open for battle against Dallas (getting Old), New Orleans, Sacramento, Utah, Denver, Portland, Phoenix, Portland, Denver, Lakers, and the TPUPS.  I think we will be able to compete and if healthy are better than most of these teams.  the key with the wolves will be health just like it has been the last few years.

Anyone watch the pregame and the tribute to Flip last night. It was a tear jerker for me. He might not have been born here, but he was a Minnesotan for sure. For all accounts he seems like he was a great guy through and through and always down to earth. As a fan I miss him. When he was fired I missed him sitting on the bench and I will forever miss him sitting on the bench. 

The team played great for a couple quarters and then went south. We'll see how the season goes. I doubt they'll hit the playoffs but should be better than last year. 

All they do is win on the road. Last year the won seven on the road total. This year it's been four in a row to open the season! Sure they haven't won at home yet, but they will. They blew a big lead last night but they came back and won. Nice road run so far puppies, keep it up. 

I agree on trying to get thibodeau and I would even be interested in Blatt as well. While the season hasn't been good in the win column I think it has still been really productive. Towns is better then anyone imagined, Wiggins has improved nicely, and Lavine has really stepped up this last month. i like where we are headed and still look forward to see what we do the rest of the season and acquire this offseason.

I definitely thought Mitchell was an upgrade from Saunders...and maybe he still is. Team needs to be tougher, and that's where Thibodeau would come in. I don't trust Blatt. T-wolves need a proven coach! Can Blatt coach a team with no superstars? Who knows! But I don't want to find out here!

Timberwolves just can't do anything right! Of all the games, they go and beat the Warriors on the road, pretty much eliminating them from making history! Looks the wolves will finish right at about what I predicted. Could be just a new coach away from the playoffs. I've heard rumors of Kevin McHale, which I hope does NOT happen! 

It will be interesting to see what they do with the coaching position.  I can't imagine Mitchell will be back and I think there would be a lot of interest in the job as there are 3 young potential stars on the team already in Lavine, Wiggins, and Towns.  We could also have another high draft pick that if the right pick is made we could add a nice 4th piece. 

The core should be in place for the next several years we just need to start adding strategic pieces around them.  Hopefully we will free up two additional roster spots taken up my Prince and Garnett. They are obviously not the future so I'd like to see them not waste a roster spot on them again. I get KG's involvement but he needs to be a coach or behind the scenes type contributor instead of holding on to the idea that he can keep playing.

it will be an interesting off season. If we can stay in the top 5 of the draft and maybe for once get lucky and move up we should land another valuable piece to the puzzle.  I am not a Sam Mitchell fan after this long season but I have heard that there is a good chance that they will retain him as the coach.  I know one thing is I do not want them to end up with Thibidou as head coach.  I think there are a lot of coaching options and who wouldn't want to coach this core of young down to earth group of guys?  Go Wolves!!

5 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Finished exactly how I predicated! I just hope the way they ended the season doesn't encourage management to bring back Mitchell as the coach.

Mitchell has already been fired.  So there will be a new coach next season.  This has got to be a pretty attractive destination for a coach with all of the young talent.

I don't think there is a chance of Mitchell returning. We already have or will be interviewing Thibs, Jeff van Gundy, and Mark Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott brooks, Blatt, and possibly Luke Walton also get mentioned in that list. We are a destination that even the biggest name available coaches would be willing to join especially if we offer coach/president combo deal. I'm hoping for Thibs or Jackson right now. It will be an exciting off season again though for the Timberwolves with a new coach, decent lottery pick, and hopefully a trade or free agent signing to strengthen our bench.

Surprised they are offering him a 5/yr deal worth $10 million annually.  Don't know if it is true but that sounds like a lot of money for that position.  I believe Flip was making $6 million or so if I remember right.