• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to me Ice Castle Fixes

coombia21

Picked up an 8x20 ice castle mille lacs this morning and it will need a few things before it hits the ice. It will need new cables, what cables do you recommend for this, should I go up a size or two, also galvanized or stainless cables. What is the best coating for the frame, there is surface rust in many of the areas, so next week I will be sanding down the original paint and repainting it, for the guys that have done this what do you recommend for coating or do you have any tips on this process. The last thing I want to do is mount the spare tire somewhere on the house I had an 8x16 last year and had to keep the tire inside the house as the truck filled up quick. What is the best way and place to mount the spare tire on this shack?

Picked up an 8x20 ice castle mille lacs this morning and it will need a few things before it hits the ice. It will need new cables, what cables do you recommend for this, should I go up a size or two, also galvanized or stainless cables. What is the best coating for the frame, there is surface rust in many of the areas, so next week I will be sanding down the original paint and repainting it, for the guys that have done this what do you recommend for coating or do you have any tips on this process. The last thing I want to do is mount the spare tire somewhere on the house I had an 8x16 last year and had to keep the tire inside the house as the truck filled up quick. What is the best way and place to mount the spare tire on this shack?

Pay the money and get stainless.  If it has the auto winch system you really cant go any bigger on the two side cables due to the hole on the spool for the winch.  I just had to change my galvanized out this summer after the front and one side snapped in the same day.  I also did away with the crimp system and used the clips using 3 on each loop that was made.  Make sure you leave enough on the spool in case one snaps so you dont have to run cable all over again.  I had a local weld shop put a spare tire mount on my 8x17 RV IC on the opposite side of the propane tanks.  I think it cost me $135 to have them put it together.  Love having there and not having to store it somewhere.  Be sure that whoever does it puts it high enough so the house can go down.

How much extra cable did you put on it, and what kind of clips did you use? I am leaning towards stainless after I snapped a cable out on the lake while trying to go home last year with out having any extra parts with. I am thinking I will weld up a bracket this weekend for the spare, is your bracket welded to the frame or bolted? 

Edited by coombia21

I think i tried to put 15ft on each one.  I was able to put a thicker cable on the front winch too.  I had to buy the stainless cable online since i couldnt find any in the small town i live in.  I also am keeping some spare cable in the house for that "just in case" situation if it ever comes up.  The pic below is of the that i used and they were stainless too (had to order online also).  Much easier to make a change out if a cable snaps instead of those crimps they use today on IC houses.  I put 3 on each end.  They bolted the spare tire holder to the frame.  i will try to take a pic of the set up over lunch and post it for you to see

Z1-Krwfo5oy.JPG

put togehter a tool kit, I can fix most problems that will occure, beside major breackdowns that require a tow. remeber to keep slack in the cables when towing, back peddle the winch a few cranks to take pressure of the cable an onto the pins. Good luck show us some pics of tha bad boy!

Lots of guys talk about using POR 15 to do the frame. I should do the same thing to mine. If you search on here you will find some stuff about POR 15.

Let us know how it goes and where you get it from. I think I remember some Napa's carry it.

dj2quick35

Do you remember where online you got the Stainless cables from?

Lots of guys talk about using POR 15 to do the frame. I should do the same thing to mine. If you search on here you will find some stuff about POR 15.

Let us know how it goes and where you get it from. I think I remember some Napa's carry it.

dj2quick35

Do you remember where online you got the Stainless cables from?

I believe i got everything for farmtek.com  I think its about $1.00/ft

Edited by dj2quick35

there is surface rust in many of the areas, so next week I will be sanding down the original paint and repainting it

I'm going to do the same to mine next year.  Got me wondering if you could take it somewhere to have the frame sandblasted or is the only option to get the handheld sander and put in some long hours?

I believe i got everything for farmtek.com  I think its about $1.00/ft

Thanks, I will check it out.

Here are some previous posts about frame coating:

This is from the post:

After seeing all the post on POR15 I bought a quart to do some touch up on my wheel house frame. I just took a wire brush to the rusty spots to get off the big stuff then painted on 2 thin coats. I cannot believe how well it covered and is tough as nails. Worked so well I did the trailer hitches on all our vehicles and they all look brand new.

Only negative is the can it comes in. Probably the cheapest paint can available. Make sure you have a container ready to store the stuff in after you open it.

Edited by arcticm1000
Spelling