• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Batteries?

bassfshin24

What does everyone use for their trolling motor batteries? I have been using Interstate Deep Cycles batteries the past few years and am absolutely fed up with them. I now have one of my second sets of batteries go out on me. This would be 3 batteries in the last 6 years. It seems like they last about 2 years and then go out. I check water levels throughout the summer. Does anyone have good luck with these batteries? 

I don't think it's the charger. I don't have an onboard charger and use a Schumacher SpeedCharge 15-Amp Marine Battery Charger. I am a fast fisherman so I always have my foot on the trolling motor so I don't know if that has something to do with it. I just can't believe I would go through 2 batteries in 6 years but from what I read a lot of those interstate batteries last about 2-3 years is all. 

Wow......7 years on my Interstates, and just had them load tested last week.....A OK. I charge mine on trickle setting, the 10-15 amp "fast charge" on my Schumacher is just too hard on them IMO, ya cook the living dump out of them. Been a mechanic since the 70's, and IMO, continual fast charging has been the death of a lot of batteries.

Well I guess that might be my problem RebelSS. I fast charge them a lot. Guess I'll be trickle charging them from now on. Too bad I had to find that out after 6 years haha. Thanks 

So now my other question would be, should I replace both Trolling motor batteries now? 

Well I guess that might be my problem RebelSS. I fast charge them a lot. Guess I'll be trickle charging them from now on. Too bad I had to find that out after 6 years haha. Thanks 

So now my other question would be, should I replace both Trolling motor batteries now? 

Be aware, a deep-cycle trolling batt can take like 24 hours or more to fully recharge, depending on how far down they are. I'll throw mine on fast charge for about a half hour, then drop to trickle, just depends on where yer batt is at in relation to charge. Trickle is actually a maintenance charge, it keeps the batt at full voltage.  If they are the lead-acid type, and not AGM's, check your acid level occasionally...yes, you can do that. I'll bet your Interstates are way low on acid solution from the fast charging, ie; below the top of the plates. Don't want to see that. I'd get the batts right before you intend to use them, if you aren't going to be now, wait until Spring. 

Hard to find Interstate's here but we usually get at least 5-6 yrs out of ours with some TLC during the season. We have a 2 bank/10 amp on board  charger as well as a Schumacher like you described which is rarely needed because our batteries are usually fully charged by the time we get back to the dock.

I checked the battery's water level and it was above the top plate. One cell was a little bit below the plate. I refilled them with distilled water. Is there something else I should be doing? When I charge them I get them up to 100%. I even put my trolling motor on continous in the garge for over 1.5hours and I then check the charge and they both still had 60% battery life left but then I went fishing for 4 hours and came back and one battery was at 60% charge and the other one was at 9%. I'm just guessing the one at 9% is going bad. 

bassfishn24,

I too have had problems with batteries.  Over a year period (over 3 years) I would have to replace 3 of my 4 batteries 2-3 times a year.  I went from walmart lead acids to fleetfarm agms (thinking it was the batteries), to different chargers (dual pro, noco, and now minnkota).  This year prior to replacing my charger I had to replace 2 of my batteries (fleetfarm AGM's), I got fed up with it replaced the NOCO charger 4bank X 10 to a minnkota PC460.  I've been a happy camper no problems as of yet (3months).  Replace that charger i think that is the culprit!  I carry a volt meter in the boat at all times, check them from time to time.  They should always hold 11.5v to 12.5v anything lower its a bad battery or going bad.  Good Luck!   

Edited by dudewheresmyboat

I attended a battery care seminar put on by Minnkota at the Northwest Sports Show. Two reps from Interstate were in the group attending and contributed a lot to the discussion. They started out saying boiling the battery with to high of amperage or charge time kills batteries. After that almost everything they said contradicted what I had always been told about charging batteries. They didn't recommend trickle charging batteries because it leads to sulfication (sp?) and shortens battery life. They recommended using a smart charger with at least a10 amp but not more than15 amp per bank out put. You want your battery charged to 80% as quickly as possible without generating to much heat to avoid sulfication. Then you want the smart charger to step down the amperage at different % of capacity to top off the battery.