• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recomendations on how to lift a deer into the back of the truck by yourself

MidCoast

I carry a plank in the back of my truck, Rest the plank up against the tailgate and just pull the deer up the plank.

Use a come along or block and tackle if needed.  Might use a ramp or two planks if you want something a little wider. 

Hey guys,

Do you guys have any tips on how to lift your deer into  the back of a truck by yourself? 

Thanks.

Well you could get a Deer wench at Cabela's for $199 or what we use is just a cargo carrier which you can get at Northern or Harbor for around $59-80 bucks. Then you don't have to lift it as hi as the truck bad and just pull up one end at a time. I have used one for years. We call them Deer carriers! ;)

canvas.png

shopping.jpg

Edited by leech~~

For about $30 I bought a game lifting kit that included a 3-1 pully setup and a hanger much like in the photo above. The kit I bought doesn't have a frame so you hang it from a tree. Its pretty easy to throw it over a tree branch, then lift the deer up and once its in the truck you lower the whole works down. Then I use the same setup at home when I skin and process  the deer. It has saved my neck and back countless times. 

For about $30 I bought a game lifting kit that included a 3-1 pully setup and a hanger much like in the photo above. The kit I bought doesn't have a frame so you hang it from a tree. Its pretty easy to throw it over a tree branch, then lift the deer up and once its in the truck you lower the whole works down. Then I use the same setup at home when I skin and process  the deer. It has saved my neck and back countless times. 

Great idea. I have a couple of them I use in the garage. Never thought about keeping them in the truck. 

I use an ice fishing sled and a plank for a ramp.   Getting the deer in the sled is not too hard.  Then get things lined up and push the sled up the ramp.   The sled keeps blood from getting in the vehicle and serves as a drip pan while the deer is hanging.    I hang the deer in the garage with a boat winch mounted to the wall and a couple of pulleys or a come-a-long.   I just have never had much success with the block and tackle rigs.   If you need to get a sled just for this I think the Jet-Sled is the cheapest way to go.  The sled can also make for easier dragging.

Come-a-long is what I've used on several occasions.  It doesn't take up any room in a truck and I always leave it in the truck when deer hunting.  I is not as slick as some of the other deals out there but it works to hold a deer partially on the tail gate to allow you to lift the other end in.

if its a doe I can normal do it without any tricks.  If its a buck I pull the deer up and hook the antlers on the cable to the tail gate, then struggle and get it in there.  I have a 3/4 ton thats higher than a normal truck and when no rigor has set in I get bloody, but that's part of the fun.

Shoot a fawn :). Hard to say not understanding if you have physical limits or you must likely hunt alone so how are you getting the deer to the tailgate in the first place, guessing you drag by 4 wheeler idk but get a few area guys on your contact list by phone and text them a quick message and to get that help you're best chance to load is likely between 11:00AM-1:00PM as maybe they'd take a lunch break and swing by quick to help you out and or after legal light as thick as the coyotes are you might want that guy loaded asap since hanging him overnight doesn't sound like a possibility or you'd load him the way it is. 

Of course you need a tree with a branch at the right height that you can back the truck under....

Someone clearly doesn't have an imagination. Yes you need a tree with a branch, A 3-1 pulley system should come with 30-50ft of rope and thanks to the magic of pulleys, you will have plenty of adjustment. A rock or heavy item tied to the string and you can lob it over any branch you can toss to. I've never had an issue with finding a tree where I deer hunt. 

I'm picturing the area around Cook or where I used to hunt with my dad east of Askov.  Or looking for a tree to hang the food pack in the BWCA.    We use one of those pulley deals too and finding a branch that will hold the weight out away from the trunk can be difficult.    

Your terrain must be different.  

I just use my long (just under 8 feet) atv ramps and pull them up.  I always have one of three additional items.  Either my ATV, two wheel game cart or plastic sled.  The sled works like butter with a little snow.  Now dragging a 256 pound 167" buck last year without messing up hide.  That was a little more difficult 

I just use my long (just under 8 feet) atv ramps and pull them up.  I always have one of three additional items.  Either my ATV, two wheel game cart or plastic sled.  The sled works like butter with a little snow.  Now dragging a 256 pound 167" buck last year without messing up hide.  That was a little more difficult 

You should have gotten Box to carry it for you...:)

Just had an 80 something fella show me how his son had installed a small winch in the front of his truck box where the topper and box meet.  He has a switch at the tailgate area on the inside of the truck.  He carries two 2 x 10's that fit in his truck.  Said he almost had the big one last year when he shot a big buck and was trying to load it.  This is a new truck and is a really great idea.

Just had an 80 something fella show me how his son had installed a small winch in the front of his truck box where the topper and box meet.  He has a switch at the tailgate area on the inside of the truck.  He carries two 2 x 10's that fit in his truck.  Said he almost had the big one last year when he shot a big buck and was trying to load it.  This is a new truck and is a really great idea.

An older retired guy that I know showed me a hand winch that he had set up in the front of his truck box, he had it attached to the hooks in the front corner and he always had a plank with him, not as handy as the electric winch you mentioned but it got the job done.

What I've done is this: I always have had a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back of my truck, it protects the bed and gives you a flat surface.  What I did was drill a one inch hole in the plywood, about one foot down from the front end/closer to the cab end.  When I get a deer, if I'm by myself, I pull the plywood out until it rests on the tailgate at an angle, then pull the deer up the inclined plywood, tie the neck/antler rope off at the hole drilled in the plywood. Then go to the ground side of the plywood, grab ahold and lift up the plywood and slide it in. Key is to use your legs!!! Do a squat, don't wreck you back. 

If I'm at home i use the tractor and loader :)

On a similar note I got a $100 electric winch that I mounted in my garage ceiling.  Drive the truck into the garage hook the gambrel to back legs of deer, winch it up and put my big garbage can under the deers nose.  Winch it down into the can and it's "dog proof' until you're ready to process it.  Works really slick for skinning and butchering the deer too.  Of all the outdoor stuff I have this is one of the slickest things I only use a few times a year.

Ya know I was just thinking.  (my wife gets nervous when I start that way)  a guy could just put a pulley in the front of the box of the truck.  Have a rope going through it and have both ends of the rope at the back of the truck so you don't have to climb in to get it.  Pull out your plywood for the ramp as mentioned before. Hook one end of the rope to the deer.  Hook the other end of the rope to a fence post or tree.  Drive ahead slowly and the deer will slide right up the ramp.  Whatever you do don't floor it. 

I just might put a pulley in my truck just to try it with deer and other things too.  I don't know what but I will think of something.  

I have also used my 4 wheeler ramps for the truck ramp.

Oops wheeler ramps was mentioned above too.