• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE Minn Youth Deer Hunt

Xplorer

I am looking very hard at taking my 13 year old son for the MEA weekend youth hunt this October.

The public land that we hunt here near Cloquet is now bucks only and the numbers were really down last year.   We hunted pretty hard but there was never a chance for him to pull the trigger.

I've read the info on the DNR page, and growing up in LaCrosse WI, I know the type of topography we'd be hunting.  But I dont really know where to start in finding a place to hunt.  We would be tent camping while we're there.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me to research places to hunt.  How crowded is the youth hunt in that area?  I thought I saw on the DNR page that the Whitewater State park was open for hunting, but cant find it now and there is no mention of it on the park page.

Anyone living down there want one less doe in their cornfields? :grin:

He has his hunters safety, and has hunted deer the past 3 years and also grouse and pheasant, so can handle a shotgun accurately and safely.  We have a ground blind that we would hunt out of.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!  I'd be happy to trade some trout/salmon fishing on Superior if that helps LOL!!

Chris 

my cousin lives down in that area and he thought the Whitewater thing is a good Youth idea and he's normally anti-Whitewater to deer hunting during the normal season.  If you don't find a different spot I'd go for it .  Doe hunting with a youth is a great experience, I've done it several times and it's always a blast and many times a challenge.   Brings me back to what hunting is all about.

Thanks leechlake!  I like the idea of having the campground right there to base out of.  He's done alot of practicing with the shotgun and slugs, so I'm hoping we can get him a deer this year.  And yes, I really have enjoyed spending time in the stand with him the last 3 years!

There's a good sized chunk of public land along Highway 61 next to LaMoille, at the end of Winona county road 7.  That'd be area 346, so a 5 deer limit.

There's a little parking area behind the guard rails maybe half a mile up the road from 61.  I've seen people camp there many times.  Can go either side of CR7 from there and be on state land.

Thanks mntatonka!  That gives me 3 areas to really research this weekend and try to narrow it down.  

Just looking for a spot for the Youth hunt.  I sure love those county GIS maps so you can see what is public and private, and with google earth and a topo map its almost like being there!