• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Michigan Algoma Report

My mom, dad wife and myself made a four day fishing trip to Algoma for the labor day weekend.  Fishing reports heading in were not good and we were greeted by cold water temps, thick fog and thunderstorms.   We had one day we didn't get out due to thick fog.  In talking with a few charter captains the best bite was out in 120-250 fow for rainbows and lakers.  Not many kings were bring caught.  We did find a few salmon on our evening trips.  Most days were shortened by thick fog conditions on the lake.  Here's my mom and I with 2 from the first evening caught on spoons inside 50 fow.

20150903_215713.thumb.jpg.e60f47af2eb1da

The next day was gorgeous and we were able to work out deeper for some rainbow and coho action returning to the shallows for the evening.  Wanda with a nice rainbow and king.  The king was Wanda's first and she had a blast working it to the net.  It was a nice 18.5 lb staging female.20150904_092933.thumb.jpg.1809ca4fc5beee20150904_213853.thumb.jpg.b78758b64baad6Here's both Wanda with our fish for the day.

20150904_214244.thumb.jpg.c3ff9fe29b55c4

Both kings hit home made meat rigs and flasher in under 30 fow.  

Here's my dad with a nice brown trout that hit a spoon up shallow. 

20150906_062952.thumb.jpg.344c152f162b7c

In talking with pier fishermen there were very few fish in the river.    We landed every fish that hit in my boat and my mom and dad only lost one rainbow the tossed a spoon on a jump.  We couldn't buy a bite on a j plug the whole weekend.  All fish on spoons or meat rigs.   Water temps warmed from mid 40s to mid 60s on the surface by Sunday.  My mom did get a mid teens laker she released without getting a picture.  Most boats are fishing rainbows, lakers and coho  in the top 50 feet over 100+ fow.

Made it out to Algoma friday afternoon ,,, Got on the lake at 4pm and picked up 5 kings ,,,got back out early saturday morning and picked up another 5 kings with 1 taking 1st place in the KD tourney for a while,,, Probably wont make it back out again this year but look forward to next year