• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Voltage regulator 1990 75 hp Mariner

fivebucks

Went to start outboard after 2 months and battery was dead.  I probably got careless trying to jump it connecting jumpers from one of my trolling motor battery and when that didn't work I hooked up the battery charger at the same time.  I heard a weird clicking noise but thought nothing of it.  I ended up starting the motor by connecting the trolling battery to start the motor and then rehooked up the dead battery to charge it.  After a little while I smelled something and opened the cowl and there was a hole in the regulator and smoke coming out.  I assume the regulator is fried but could there be more damage downstream from the regulator?  My plan is to replace the regulator but is there anything else I should check out before running the outboard?  Here is a pic of the regulator.  There is a hole beneath the far left wire.  Also would there be much risk in buying a used part vs. a new part.  Thanks for any help.

Resampled_2015-09-06_13-53-53_263.jpg

Edited by fivebucks

Thanks.  I got the new VR.  They had me replace another piece on further upstream and that confused me.  Anyhow I replace the VR (only dropping one screw in the lake as boat was on boat lift).  Motor ran fine until a little over half throttle and then started to miss and bog down some.  I called a guy I know and he thought it might be the electrical board so I hauled boat home to take to my fix it guy neighbor.  At his place I notice a broken red wire leading to the electrical board so he fixed that and verified my stator is OK.  I must have broken that wire taking the cowl on and off a few times.  Anyhow I will test drive it tonight after work and hopefully good to go.