• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Football 2015

JBMasterAngler

Gophers are going bowling! 

Gophers were 1 of 3 teams with a 5-7 record (Nebraska and San Jose State) to be selected to a bowl game to fill the void of eligible teams. I had just assumed they would go with teams that attract lot's of fans, but they went by academic rankings. Missouri was actually ranked ahead of the gophers, but they declined an invite. 

As much as I love bowl season, they can certainly do without the: New Mexico Bowl, St. Petersburg Bowl, Miami Beach Bowl, AutoNation Care Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Bahamas Bowl, Camilia Bowl, Famous Potato Bowl, and Boca Raton Bowl. Possibly the New Orleans and Las Vegas Bowls as well. With all that being said, GO GOPHERS!

Pathetic.  Absolutely pathetic.

Kudos to Missouri for doing the right thing, although being ranked higher than Minnesota academically really isn't anything to brag about as evidenced by their decision to accept a bowl invite.  

You want to pretend you're a big time Big 10 school? Well then act like it and hold your fans accountable.  Demonstrate to your fans with your actions that having a losing record doesn't deserve a bowl invite and that everyone doesn't deserve a participation ribbon.  Go home and lick your wounds.  The season was a failure.

It's a great opportunity for the kids to get a few more weeks of practice with their new coach as well. And for any seniors, it's 1 more game. With that being said, I do think it's bad for college football for a 5-7 team (3 no less) to be in a bowl game. Perhaps 7 should be the magic number? Would cut the number of bowl games in half. Am still going to watch the game, and still going to cheer for the gophers. I hear Detroit is lovely this time of year? Anyone book their trip yet?

It's a great opportunity for the kids to get a few more weeks of practice with their new coach as well. And for any seniors, it's 1 more game. 

To summarize: Everyone gets a participation ribbon!  Yay!  

Nobody actually believes any of that and it is nothing more than a lame excuse for a blatant lack of pride. Absolutely embarrassing. 

The Gophers shouldn't have to apologize to anyone for being invited and accepting the bowl bid. If anything Clemson should turn down their chance to play in the championship tourney due to mopping up on terrible competition. I mean seriously, the record of the teams they played is significantly worse that who the Gophers played. The Gophers played 3 teams who were ranking (at the time) in the top 5 in the nation.

Im not saying their world beaters, Im not even saying the Gophers are any good, but of the teams with a 5-7 record they certainly deserved it based on WHO they played regardless of the outcome.

Also, if you think Missouri turned down the offer because "of pride" you are blind. They didn't do it because of that, but all the dang turmoil on campus.

Edited by CaptainMusky

There are far to many bowl games and this is a result of that. Bowl games in this day and age aren't really a reward anymore outside of the playoff and the new years six, throw in another maybe another 10 decent bowl after that.

Its business not a reward in most cases, just the nature of the beast I think they should probably ax at least 10 bowl games. With that said if 6 wins is the big cut off whats the big deal with the gophers accepting the bid, like a 6 win team is that much bigger deal or a 8 win MAC conference record being in a bowl game for instance considering competition, it looks good on paper I guess.

Gophers are kind of in a no win situation in this game they win and its a "so what" considering their record and who they are playing, they lose and the haters really pile on.

LIMIT I imagine the Bison will continue to do well in the playoffs but most of America really doesn't care that much, Sorry

As much as I agree with the gophers not deserving a bowl game, I would be upset with the school/program passing up the money they get for appearing.  Any money they get, is less (in theory ) they ask us for later.

I've heard that there is a chance of losing money in a Bowl Game like this. I don't know if it would happen but it was brought up by the Fargo Flash on KFAN.

Turmoil on campus may have been a big factor for Missouri, but they also said they wanted to commit 100% to finding a new coach (which I think they already did) instead of worrying about a bowl game. In this situation, it's probably a lot more important for that new coach to worry about getting out and recruiting.

Most "fans" probably won't care, but this would be a huge win for the gophers in the sense it would end their bowl game losing streak, and would probably be a big weight off the shoulders of the players. Good way to start next season, in what will be a very favorable schedule.

I honestly could care less about this bowl game like you said JB, but they surely shouldn't turn it down. I really think half the bowls could go away and no one would really notice, but I think we will get more rather than less. There are tons of companies just looking for a spotlight regardless of who is playing.

Heck, there could certainly be a "US Bank Bowl" in the new Vikings stadium in years to come. That ought to get you going LMIT. LOL

JB as you said, the schedule next year should be considerably easier than this year. Not making projections, but I don't foresee any of the teams they play next year to be in the top 5 in polls at any point of the season so hopefully they string together some W's.

this would be a huge win for the gophers in the sense it would end their bowl game losing streak, and would probably be a big weight off the shoulders of the players. Good way to start next season, in what will be a very favorable schedule.

Unless they lose.

If you have to depend on an easier schedule to show improvement, you probably shouldn't be wasting time and money playing demeaning 40th place bowl games because you have bigger issues that need attention... 

If you have to depend on an easier schedule to show improvement, you probably shouldn't be wasting time and money playing demeaning 40th place bowl games because you have bigger issues that need attention... 

Is Clemson depending on their easy schedule to show their improvement?

You wouldn't have been happy regardless if the Gophers beat any ONE of the 3 top 5 ranked teams they played this year. Lets face it LMIT. Call a spade a spade. Hell, the Gophers could have been undefeated and you would have found some flaw or chink in the armor.

Next year, on paper the schedule is weaker than this year so it better show stronger results. If not, then well its time to bring in Boll.

Is Clemson depending on their easy schedule to show their improvement?

Come on, there's a little bit of a difference between riding an easy schedule to a conference championship or at least a division championship vs. depending on an easy schedule to get you to 6 wins and a cruddy bowl game.

Come on, there's a little bit of a difference between riding an easy schedule to a conference championship or at least a division championship vs. depending on an easy schedule to get you to 6 wins and a cruddy bowl game.

Yep, there is, but last year they finished what 15th or so in the polls to consensus #1 this year. The Gophers should be top 15 next year then with their easier schedule, but guys like you and LMIT will just say "look at their schedule".

Fact is Clemson faced teams with a collective record about .500 while the Gophers faced teams with a record of what 94-52 and 3 of those teams were ranked in the top 5. Clemson made the most of playing cupcakes, something you are sure to point out when the Gophers play teams like that but clearly that wasn't really the case this year.

I am certainly not saying the Gophers would have won every game with a soft schedule, they are not that great of a team with a ton of injuries, but Clemson sure isn't apologizing for their weak schedule.

Im not saying their world beaters, Im not even saying the Gophers are any good, but of the teams with a 5-7 record they certainly deserved it based on WHO they played regardless of the outcome.

deserving how? Because of the win over Purdue or Illinois? Wait maybe it was the Kent State win?

So how easy will Minnesota's schedule have to be before they finally make the FBS championship bracket?  LOL. 

They were so afraid of bottom dwelling teams that they had the gall to buy their way out of having to play them a few years ago,  and now the Big 10 won't allow scheduling of FCS teams so it's pretty clear there is no path to a championship for a program continuously floundering in mediocrity. 

Really what's the big deal if a crappy team plays in a crappy bowl game?  I'm sure all 12 people who are going to watch the game will really enjoy it.  If the Gophers turn down the game some other crappy team will just take their place.  It boils down to the fact that there are way too many meaningless bowl games and that means bad teams are going to have to play.

I'm not going to blame any team for playing in one more game.  Really whats the real difference between a 5-7 or 6-6 team?  What has either team really accomplished.  Even a 7-5 team hasn't accomplished anything, they just proved they are slightly better than average, does that make them deserving of post-season play?

What i will do is blame the bowl system that makes it necessary for bad teams to play in order to fill out the scheduled games.  Its not about giving everyone a participation award, its about milking every penny they can out of these games.  There's no intent of making teams feel good about themselves for making a bowl game, the only intent is to make as much money as possible.

The way its going in 2-3 years there will be enough bowl games to force every college team in the nation into playing in a bowl game.  What kind of ratings do you think Southwest Alaska Technical College will get playing against Upper Rhode Island Culinary Academy in the Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Bowl? 

deserving how? Because of the win over Purdue or Illinois? Wait maybe it was the Kent State win?

Deserving in the fact that they were selecting 5-7 teams and the gophers were chosen based on APR, so, they won 5 games and had a higher APR than others and earned the pick. Simple as that.

Do I think they should have this many bowl games? HECK NO! Its stupid, but if they are going to have one, then there are teams that have to play in them right?

Really what's the big deal if a crappy team plays in a crappy bowl game?  I'm sure all 12 people who are going to watch the game will really enjoy it.  If the Gophers turn down the game some other crappy team will just take their place.  It boils down to the fact that there are way too many meaningless bowl games and that means bad teams are going to have to play.

I'm not going to blame any team for playing in one more game.  Really whats the real difference between a 5-7 or 6-6 team?  What has either team really accomplished.  Even a 7-5 team hasn't accomplished anything, they just proved they are slightly better than average, does that make them deserving of post-season play?

What i will do is blame the bowl system that makes it necessary for bad teams to play in order to fill out the scheduled games.  Its not about giving everyone a participation award, its about milking every penny they can out of these games.  There's no intent of making teams feel good about themselves for making a bowl game, the only intent is to make as much money as possible.

The way its going in 2-3 years there will be enough bowl games to force every college team in the nation into playing in a bowl game.  What kind of ratings do you think Southwest Alaska Technical College will get playing against Upper Rhode Island Culinary Academy in the Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Bowl? 

Finally someone who gets it.

Yep, there is, but last year they finished what 15th or so in the polls to consensus #1 this year. The Gophers should be top 15 next year then with their easier schedule, but guys like you and LMIT will just say "look at their schedule".

Fact is Clemson faced teams with a collective record about .500 while the Gophers faced teams with a record of what 94-52 and 3 of those teams were ranked in the top 5. Clemson made the most of playing cupcakes, something you are sure to point out when the Gophers play teams like that but clearly that wasn't really the case this year.

I am certainly not saying the Gophers would have won every game with a soft schedule, they are not that great of a team with a ton of injuries, but Clemson sure isn't apologizing for their weak schedule.

I never said Clemson deserved to be where they are at, they probably doesn't deserve to be where they are at all but at least they were able to make the most of their weak schedule, go undefeated and win their conference. When's the last time the Gophers did any of those things?