• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of going up there for a few days with a couple friends. We're avid anglers, but we've never done this trip before. From what I can gather, the fish should be out deeper, on break lines? I'm guessing deep cranks, jigs, and rigs would be the way to go? I know there's a strong live bait bite, and thankfully I know how to work a lindy rig, so we'll be prepared for that as well. But since we've never been up there before, I'm looking for any and all pointers. Spots to look for, presentations, locations,what boat launch to use, where to stay, where to eat, all that good stuff. Even the date, what would you guys recommend? We were thinking mid-October, would you guys recommend that? Earlier? Later? Thanks guys!

tmf,

I,ve been up there a few times in the fall. Mid october, from my experience, the bass could be alot of places and not yet grouped up and deep like they will be later.  Hopefully I'll be up there a few times between now and ice up.  Early Oct., fish around the Ashland area - lots of different types of structure and cover. Old piers, piles of slabwood, etc. East of the old ore dock, there's some old piers that pop up out of deep water that can wreck your day, so careful over there.  The Ashland side of the breakwall can be good - deeper water. Use your depth finder to find drop offs and humps.  The "rockpile" is a known spot and there will probably be boats working that. It's a pretty big piece of structure that tops out around 12-13 fow and drifting a lindy rigged sucker there works pretty good.  Always get suckers - you don't know what is going to work better, artificial or live bait.

Launch in Ashland at the city park and that gives you access to alot of water.  River Rock Inn is a good place to get bait and info. Crest Motel and Bayview are good affordable places. We tent camp at Prentice park sometimes.

Read Drew Matheus's reports - he's tuned in much better than me.

Everybody that we have come across in Ashland is super friendly - great place to fish summer and winter.  Have fun and make sure you post how you do.

rascal