• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elk?

eyedr

Two things really killed elk hunting for me.  One is the huge increase in non-resident license costs over the last few years.  The other is the two little kids I have at home now.  :)

Next year I'll look into it again.  

Yep, I'm definitely excited.  I'm not going with any of my usual cast of characters, but the two buddies I plan on going with are excited.  One of them has a bum knee and is hoping to come still, but we'll see how it is in a week or two.  We're heading to MT for a bivy hunt in a general unit for elk.  It'll be a tough hunt, but should be a lot of fun!  I'm excited to get out there and get back on a mountain.  I'll definitely take pics and try put together a story when I get back. 

I'm pumped ! Leave in about 2 weeks ! Im hunting MT with a buddy that lives out there and has a lot of private ranches we can hunt !  My first time bow hunting elk. I got my broad heads to shoot great to night so I'm happy now . 

Leaving in a week for 16 days of non stop elk hunting. :cool:

16 days???  Man, THAT would be nice!!!  I can't even tell you how much I'd love to be out there that long.  However, I'm dang fortunate to get to go at all, so I certainly won't complain.  I hope you have a great trip and find a good bull to play with, Sniper!

Sportfish, when your buddy finds extra space on those private ranches in MT, please be sure to let me know!  I'm a pretty good caller, spotter, and pack mule, in addition to being a devoted elk hunter!  :)

My first time bow hunting elk.  

You will be hooked immediately. I thought deer hunting was a challenge until I started bow hunting elk on public land. More likely to fail than to succeed, but it makes the prize that much sweeter when it all comes together. Sounds like you get to hunt some private land which will be awesome I am sure. Elk that haven't been pressured and educated are a whole lot different from those that have been. Stay safe, good luck, and have fun!!!

I'm headed back to Colorado on Sept 18th for a week in the mountains again, this year I didn't apply for a mule deer tag so I could concentrate on the elk hunting so I'm sure I will see that 200 incher again.  There was a big bull I saw that I hope made it through so I can get a crack at him, I am meeting up with a few guys from Illinois and hope we can put a couple down.

Where is nowiser? 

eyedr, if you need any help getting set up and situated with a backpack hunt, I'm happy to help you out.  I leave in a little over a week for one in MT- can't wait!  I've done quite a few of them now and I feel like I'm getting my gear and my plan of attack pretty well organized and put together.  Let me know if I can help.

NoWiser is in the same place in NM he went last year.  His dad and uncle defied all odds and pulled the same very low likelihood draw as they did last year.  Not quite one in a million, but not all that far off from it!  I've gotten SPOT messages from them each day and have not received an "ELK DOWN" message yet.  I think any day now!  If I do get one I'll be sure to NOT report it here- I don't want to steal his thunder as I'm sure he's planning on putting together a story. 

Count down has started ! Trying to get everything packed.  I always plan the hunt but this year I have no control , not sure where and how everything will happen . My Montana friends are in control of that . I just know they said there are a lot of elk around ! That sounds great to me !

Good luck to you elk hunters on here 

Thanks scoot, I appreciate that a lot. Last year was my first full season deer hunting with a bow. I have so much to learn. I am in the middle of a home project and have one on the way. I think it will be a little while before I get to chase elk. I will do it, at some point. When I do hopefully I'll be able to get a hold of you. 

I just spent a week in west-central Wyoming. We were out there a little earlier than I wanted, but you go with the days you can get off. The bugling and pre-rut antics were just winding up our last couple days. One good shot opportunity is all we managed with the bow, but will will be back there this year. What an amazing place. DId I mention we were only cow hunting? AHHH!

I will have a bull tag next year. 

No antlers on this trip, I ended my last day of elk hunt with a juicy cow calf. I had just drawn on a cow but she spooked so we walked a little farther and jumped this one out of some thick pines. She gave me a shot I couldn't pass after 14 days of hiking and never drawing my bow. 

20150916_085515.jpg