• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gar Invasion

WasteManagement

Out catting a few weeks ago.

Invaded by a sworm of Gar. There were 3-4 of us fishing most of the night and 2 fished all night. Getting hit about every 15-20 min all night long. Landed 5 Gar and the rest were non-hook ups or break offs. One landed never had the hook in its mouth just held on to the cut bait long enough to net. Longest landed was 40 + inches. Could see surface gar chasing up minows. There had to have been hundreds in the area.

Cut bait, live suckers, secret 7, sudden impact and no cats. I know this place and we should have landed at least one flat or channel. Should have landed 10-20.  Not even a nudge on S7 or SI.

Ever happen to anyone else? Was fun to a part of it once, those things chased away everyting.

I've never had gar invade so much as to scare the other fish away, but I have seem them thick as thieves around the boat at times, snapping at the surface and whatnot.  I think a lot of the live bait clicker runs that grab your bait and run with it for 1.5 seconds and drop it are actually gar, but I rarely land one.  I think I've caught only 1 or two in my 8 years of catfishing actually.

I too would like a PM of the location.  I've been meaning to get the gar (shortnose/longnose) off my bucket list.  The only hard part is finding these dinosaurs.  Any help with that would be greatly appreciated (can't wait to bust out my rope lure!).

This has happened to me before.  It was like one day, my rods were bending like I've hooked up big.  However after a brief minute long fight I come up empty.  Happened for several hours until I finally pulled one in and netted that gar.  Caught a few more like that afterwards.  I finally give up, cuz it's just no fun getting a hard tug just to end up empty.

I just pulled one in on a big circle hook (chub) and could see the hook was down in it's throat. Bummed that I was going to probably kill the fish and lose my expensive hook, but when on I tugged on the line everything popped right out- the gar wasn't hooked at all!