• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morning After a heavy ThunderStorm

RuddyDuck

How do you think a Thunderstorm affects Bass the next morning?  

When I was a kid, my dad never wanted to fish the next morning cause he said it scared them deeper and they didn't bite well.  Is that an old wives tale or does it affect them a bit. I skipped Sat morning(mostly cause I was too lazy to get up), but did go out in the evening and had pretty good luck. I'm guessing it probably makes them hold tighter to cover and maybe can have more of an affect on clear lakes. Just curious of your thoughts on this.

If the Tstorm is accompanied by a 20 degree temperature drop (cold front), I think it gives them lock-jaw and causes them bury themselves in the weeds.  If the Tstorm produced significant rain, try to find a few culverts or feeder creeks to fish.  I don't think the Tstorms have that much of an effect on bass as long as the barometric pressure and temp remain fairly steady.

Try to find a drain that comes into the lake or a small creek that flows into a lake. I have had amazing luck a night after a big storm where there is flowing water coming into the lake. Those fish can get into a ft of water or less. I'm guessing the run off that is coming in is bringing bugs and other prey into the lake. 

I've had it both ways.   Usually fishing is tough the morning after a big T'storm, but  I have had some days when it has been great too.    Actually, it has been the same with any other type of day.    You never know for sure.
As always in fishing, never say always, never say never.  

Do the cooler nights impact morning fishing at all?  The temps have been dropping 20 degrees from daytime to night which seems like a big drop for mid summer.

Nope the drop in Water temp is negligible.

Day time temps in the 85 to 95 range with night time temps 15 to 25 degrees cooler is normal in the summer.

Nope the drop in Water temp is negligible.

Day time temps in the 85 to 95 range with night time temps 15 to 25 degrees cooler is normal in the summer.

I'm not sure about cooler nights in summer.  I am 100% positive that cooler nights in early spring make the mornings slower, especially for walleyes.  During spring, the water can warm up 10+ degrees during the day and then lose it at night.  I always will choose evenings over mornings during early spring.

The best time to go fishing is anytime you can.  Copy write Bill Dance

I agree with this! It is usually, when I can go vs when it is best to go. Though I will skip an outing: if it is actually during a T-Storm, 40mph winds on an open lake or if my wife threatens to break all my rods and burn my tackle bags if I go one more time for the week!