• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what liqourice to use/

Growing up, my Dad always used to use a mixture of anise and water as a cover scent for bear hunting. That is why he usually had bears visit him in the tree, but that's another story.  This was also 30-40 years ago, when there wasn't all the scents and attractants you buy.  I think as long as its sweet, they are sure to eat!!

Edited by icehole10

oh I aint worried about them eating it, just trying to get talk going is all, and wondering what prople prefer. what I like to do is throw a big chunk in the barrel, i had a tootsie rool chunk the size of a bread box one time, last for years, bears couldnt get it out of the barrel, alls thye could get were claw fulls, 

Not to change the subject, but do any of you guys still hang a scent bag up in the tree, an old sock with some week or two old fish guts in it, or something like that? We quit doing that a 4-5 years ago, and we haven't noticed a difference really, other than the lovely sound of gagging while trying to hang it in the tree!!

Agree Boar. Fish guts never did the job. Would never get eaten. Through the years I have noticed certain Bears preffer one or two baits over the others. Almost like people, enjoying a certain food over another. Fish, however, did nothing but attract flys maggots and undesirables.

Agree Boar. Fish guts never did the job. Would never get eaten.

The idea wasn't to have them eat the fish guts. It was strictly an attractant, although they did seem to like to tear it out of the tree and roll around it. Twenty years ago, there wasn't all the fancy sprays, and scents they have now. We would used vanilla, or anise extract, and well fish guts. I sure don't miss using them, the wind would swirl while sitting in the stand and it was all you could do to keep your lunch down!!

yup totaly got the idea behind it, I did it once. thats all it took. I prefer to have my sites as fresh as possible,  I totaly a gree with fish being a hard attractant but dont like what comes with them. Stink, flying nasties, undesirable critters ect.  

My favorite is still old faithful, liquid smoke in a spray bottle.  I like the smell also, so that's a plus. My buddy has bought a few of the different attractants, and they do have a powerful smell, but I'm not sure they are any better than anything else. As far as baits and baiting, we stick to what works for us. Haven't really changes anything for awhile.

Ever since Boar introduced me to green death that has been the one that I have stuck with. I used to do the fish guts as well, but I would go 30 - 40 yards away from the bait. Didn't use them last year and I can't say I noticed a difference. I think the other scent works just as well or better. Also like to use liquid smoke.

boy port yu drive a hard bargin. but ok, in the woods. lol! jb green death is my go to, cheaper than bear scent or big woods and more volume, im trying soomething new this year and if i feel it works ill be sure to let yu guys know.....hehehe