• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp Alive Leeches

Igor Drackenwolf

Just a thread to profess my love for this bait during the Walleye leech bite season.

They don't seem to look that great in the water. Kind of flat and lifeless. But I've seen them outfish live leeches consistently enough to become a believer in this bait. I'll never buy live leeches again.

I learned the hard way - insisting on live leeches while my buddy fished with Gulp leeches. We were using the exact same technique with similar gear and he was outfishing me 4/1. I eventually switched to Gulp leeches and our hookups were suddenly on par.

Next time out with the same buddy, I again started with live leeches. Again, he outfished me until I switched to Gulp.

After I switched to Gulp for good, I've had the same experience in reverse with two different guys on two different occasions. I was fishing with Gulp, and they were fishing live leeches. I outfished them until they joined me using Gulp.

... Not to mention the fact that they are close to impossible for fish to strip off the hook...

Anyone else want to sing the praises of Gulp ALive Leeches for Walleye?

I have been using the Gulp night crawlers on slow death hooks with some success. twice in the last couple of weeks I have switched to that presentation when running low on bait and have not noticed a difference in the amount of bites I have got, while my wife stayed with real crawlers. I have not used the leeches yet, but will definitely be buying some.

Works as good or better than live leeches in most cases. I have had very good success with them rigging and jigging. And like Igor stated, they are a lot to tear of the hook than a live leech, making it tougher for sunfish to get off the hook when your after walleyes;)