• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good eye, Pushbutton.

Jerk, I'd be happy to take the whole pile home and inspect it for you.  Just let me know where I can pick them up.

I set aside all of my smaller ones last night and pickled a jar of them.  They turned out great!  I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.

NoWiser, did you do the wine pickle that I posted?

As dumb as it sounds, I forgot that recipe was posted here.  I knew I saw it somewhere, but thought it was on Facebook.  So, I just found a pickling recipe online.  I will, without a doubt, try your recipe this year yet.  I'm hoping to sneak out for a couple of hours on Sunday morning to do some picking, so early next week I should be able to give it a shot.  I'll let you know how it goes.

lol.  Yeah ain't getting old great!  I am hoping to get out this weekend, but will have to see if my kids will allow it.  I think the Lobsters should be going to so I want to check a couple spots.  Of course my luck would be that I find those and not Chants.

17.6 pounds in two hours last night by myself.  I was on my way to a secret spot but never made it there before I had as much as I could carry back out of the woods.  I was worried that I wouldn't have time this summer to replenish my stockpile for the winter, but it looks like that problem is solved!

Surprisingly, I haven't spotted a single chicken, hedgehog, or trumpet yet.

Chanterelle 7.19.15.JPG

Got my hat in the ring yesterday finally. Just had our first child a month ago and this was his second trip shrooming already. He was more of a "sleep in the truck with mom while dad gets eaten alive alone" type of shroomer, but I'll break him in right eventually. :)

1.jpg

Edited by pikestabber

Man....those blueberries look fantastic. Only ones found around here are in u pick feilds.This weekend we picked some more chants .....and have never seen this amount of lobsters in central minnie. Seen good numbers in places I have never seen them, and incredible numbers in in my normal  low lying spots......but most there were rotten from all the rain. Grabbed my one easy to identify, non king bolete, for the year, thinking maybe it will be better than past....and nope...still mushy rubber gelatin ...lol.

Congrats on the kiddo Stabber. Also think a congrats to Stick is in order as well.......

Edited by pushbutton

It was a very strange weekend, got out and found 11 small button chanterelles.  That was it for them, then went to a known Lobster bonanza spot........and I ended with bug bites and nothing more.  I'm still holding out hope that this heat will stir things up for me.  I know it has to happen sooner or later, I just want sooner!

Man....those blueberries look fantastic. Only ones found around here are in u pick feilds.This weekend we picked some more chants .....and have never seen this amount of lobsters in central minnie. Seen good numbers in places I have never seen them, and incredible numbers in in my normal  low lying spots......but most there were rotten from all the rain. Grabbed my one easy to identify, non king bolete, for the year, thinking maybe it will be better than past....and nope...still mushy rubber gelatin ...lol.

Congrats on the kiddo Stabber. Also think a congrats to Stick is in order as well.......

Thanks, PB. Little Man has been a blast and I am very excited to share my love of the outdoors with him as we go along.

The berries were a nice bonus I wasn't even planning on messing with... I knew there were bushes in one of my shroom spots, but most years there's generally not enough to even fuss with...eat a handful if you can scrounge them up and move on... That said, they are INSANE this year. What I picked was maybe 1/100th of what was out there. HUGE average size for wild berries and they were loaded on the bush. Unfortunately, the deer flies made what should have been a lengthy pick an intolerable one instead. I hope to get back with proper clothing, netting, and a big bath in deet so I can take advantage of a bumper crop. I hear the central and metro part of the state is a mosquito massacre this year, but they are so light up north it's eerie... 3x more deer flies than usual, though, and I don't know if that's a good trade off!

Unfortunately, the deer flies made what should have been a lengthy pick an intolerable one instead.

Those things will drive a person loony.

Do a search and see if you can find some sticky deer fly patches that you put on the top of your hat.  When they get to the point I can't take it, I throw one on and it does a great job of catching them.  I can't help but smile every time I hear one struggle for the last time when they are caught in it.  I don't know the brand, because I stole them from my folks, but they work very good.  It seems like they like that white color and land on it immediately and never have time to really be a bother.

Do a search and see if you can find some sticky deer fly patches that you put on the top of your hat.

They are from Tred-Not go to deerflypatches dot com.  Or amazon carries, them also my local birding store does.  They are a Godsend.

My favorite way to cook chants .....well the flatter caps ........is to season, oil, and then cook whole about 10 minutesish (5 a side) on the grill. Then drizzle with balsamic,  add a melty white cheese, and put back on the grill till the cheese bubbles.

I made this last night with some Italian sausage and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for the recipe, Push!

Nice pics, guys.  Just got back from a post-wedding "honeymoon" with the wife and two of her bridesmaids, one from Croatia and the other from China (kind of funny to watch the boats slow down when the ladies are out sunbathing on the rock in front of camp).  Both were kind enough to travel halfway around the world to come to the wedding, so we figured we'd show them a bit of Minnesota while they were here.   The chants are popping up there, but they weren't any thicker than they were three weeks ago when I was up with a friend of mine. A few here, a few there...enough to go with the lake trout we (miraculously) pulled out of Winchell Lake, but not enough to bring home.  

No edible russulas, alas, and not a trumpet nor hedgehog to be seen.  Not even a lobster.  

Was out central MN area. Not a lot up for quantity yet.  A few button chants. Small numbers of black trumpets.  One log full of young oyster mushrooms...but they were so riddled with worms that they were not appealing.  No lobsters around here yet.  Fairy ring mushrooms came back to life with the rain.  Hopefully, this last rain burst will get things going!   Deer flies...well, what can one say...they've had a good year!!

The wife and I had a nice dinner planned last night. Beer can chicken, fresh green beans, and chicken gravy.....

I just tossed the chicken in the grill and realized that something was missing.....

Momma took over the grill and I went running for groceries.

Twenty minutes later and we were good to go :)

0726151656.jpg

0726151847.jpg

Well I finally got out today, though my northerly adventure doesn't start until tomorrow. The bugs were TERRIBLE, but I did find a bunch of chants in a forest of small elm, some birch, and maple.  Nary an oak to be seen.  I usually have no luck in mapley woods, so I was surprised to see them there.  I picked a few--enough for a little snack tonight--and left the rest.  There was no way I was going to putz around picking that many chants with the bugs like they were.  

Looking good Brandon! Got 31# yesterday and more wasp stings than I thought were possible, Note to self, look up occasionally while walking....took three stings to the eye and a buckthorn dagger between the eyes while trying to escape...my wife thought I was near death when I walked into the house....(:

image.jpg

Pat you never cease to amaze me with your piles of mushrooms :) It would take me a month to find that many...... I don't know how you do it.

Glad to hear you are okay. I was dive bombed last summer out shrooming and somehow didn't get stung. Now my Epi-pen is always in my backpack during the warmer months in the woods.

If I ever got attacked like you described it would be the end of B-man .......

Got out yesterday in a park near my jobsite in Minneapolis.

Found an easy meal of chants along with at least 5 pounds of past prime chants.

Also found my first hedgehog of the year :)

Didn't get any pics