• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluoro on Spinning Reel

snagger

One of the lakes I fish in W. WI has very clear water. I like using a spinning rod/reel for shaky worm, senkos, etc. I currently have braid on the reel and use a fluoro leader. I'm considering changing the braid to straight fluoro but have heard a fair amount of negative feedback regarding using fluoro on spinning reels. Anyone have any input or advice on this?

I run straight sunline sniper on my drop shot rod and like it. The first year you'll have no issues. I'm trying to go two years on the same line and its twisting pretty bad but I like the confidence I have in flouro over braid.

I tried spooling a couple of my spinning reels with straight fluoro this spring and couldn't stand it.  Seemed like it jumped off the reel too much and I was getting constant line twist.  Maybe the higher quality fluoro works better?

I've never liked braid for a lot of finesse presentations like jigworms or dropshotting. For jigworms, you can't feel slack line bites, and it blows around on the surface when it's windy, which I just hate. I've been using straight fluoro for several years now.

You do have to get the right fluoro though. Stiffer fluoro that's meant for casting gear will make you miserable on a spinning reel. You also definitely get what you pay for. I've tried several, and finally settled on Sunline Super Sniper. Up to 8#, it handles fairly well on spinning gear, although it does help to have a wider spooled reel. It's also not completely outrageous price-wise. 

The good news with fluoro is it does last longer than mono if you take care of it. I can fish basically a full season with a reel full of fluoro, while I was changing mono every 3-4 weeks. If it twists up, run it behind the boat while you idle across the lake or back to the ramp. Helps quite a bit. The other thing that really helps with line twist is closing your bail with your hand vs. snapping the reel handle over.  I've also gotten to like the KVD Line and Lure Conditioner. I spray some on the spool in the morning, and once or twice during the day. Does seem to help the manageability. 

I bought some 8# Sunline Sniper. It spooled up very nicely on a Pflueger Supreme. I didn't really notice any "jumping" off the spool yet. I'm anxious to try it. But, before I use it I am going to unspool all the line behind the boat and reel it up to make sure any twists are out of it.

I've only used 6lb fluoro on spinning. It's my drop shot set up so I'm not usually casting, more of a pitch. Works well except for line twist..

​Had a friend show me a good trick with dropshotting if you are nose hooking baits on an open hook. Rather than go through the bottom of the bait and out the top, insert the hook point in the bottom of the bait about 1/4" back from the nose, then run the hook point right out the nose of the bait. Makes them twist way less on the way up and down. Spinshot hooks help too.

I use flouro on three spinning rods: 6lb on a light walleye rod, 8lb on a medium walleye rod, and 12lb on my med/heavy worm/jig rod for bass.

Three tips:

1) If you have reel options, use a larger diameter spool. 

2) Underspool the reel compared to how you'd spool mono.

3) After spooling and before use, take the rod/reel to the lake, let the line out with NO lure/weight, and drive away from it until it is almost all unspooled. Reel up with light tension.

All these steps will make flouro on a spinning reel quite manageable. It takes getting used to, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I've been using the Sniper for about 3 weeks now. I love it. No tangles, no jumping off the spool. I wonder if it helps that I've developed the habit of closing the bale by hand and not just snapping it shut by turning the handle? Anyways........so far so good and I'm glad I tried it.

I've been using the Sniper for about 3 weeks now. I love it. No tangles, no jumping off the spool. I wonder if it helps that I've developed the habit of closing the bale by hand and not just snapping it shut by turning the handle? Anyways........so far so good and I'm glad I tried it.

Closing the bail by hand is a very good habit with fluoro. Snapping the bail shut with the reel puts a half a turn of twist into the line every time you do it. Glad you like the Sniper. It's good stuff.