• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum vs Glass

Trout26

Hey Trout26, I was in the same predicament last year and ended up buying a 2006 Skeeter WX1880 with a 200 yammy hpdi for $26K.  I bought it because of the smooth, dry ride.  I went with the WX series because it has a better layout for kids.  I still fish in bass leagues and tournaments; however I am only going 50 mph instead of 70 like everyone else.  I've owned and rode in many aluminum and fiberglass boats.  In fact, the roughest ride I've been on was in a PWT tournament out in Mobridge, SD around 15 years ago.  We had to make a 60 mile run in 2 1/2 foot waves riding in a Tracker Targa 2000, which is a fiberglass boat.  I should have worn a jock strap because I could feel that pounding (down there) for three days.  My point is that you really need to ride/drive whichever boat you are going to purchase, regardless if it is aluminum or glass.

I have been researching boats for a long time and am finally getting close to the point where I can buy a new one.  I have been torn with the same issue, glass or aluminum.  One of my biggest factors is my garage space.  If I go glass it will be a Bass Cat, best built boats out there.  In a BCB, the biggest I can fit in my garage is a Sabre.  If I go aluminum it will be a Lund and looking at the 1775 Pro Guide.  Two completely different boats, loaded up with the electronics I want I would be in the 31 range in the Pro Guide and 36 in the Sabre.  In a glass boat, I will always favor a console, whereas in an aluminum rig, I prefer the space and maneuverability a tiller provides.

One of the things I am trying to keep in mind is the region in which we live and resale value down the road.  In our market, it seems as though a smaller (sub 20 footer) bass boat loses value quickly, no matter the brand.  In contrast, a 17-19 foot Lund or Alumacraft holds value pretty strong in this market.  My next house will have a larger/deeper garage and I will consider a 20+ glass boat at that time. 

I have pretty well settled on the idea of the Pro Guide 1775 for what I do.  That boat has the best storage layout and use of space I have ever seen in an aluminum rig.  You could easily pop a couple carpeted boards in the splash well in the back and create a pretty sizeable rear casting deck.  I also think it will be more comfortable for the elders in my family that I enjoy fishing with.

Well I do not know the resale value of boats Currently i can tell you from experience of owning both a Lund aluminum and Ranger glass boats that my rangers have held much better resale value then my Lund did.  My Rangers have all been bass boats and my Lund was a walleye boat. The one big con to a bass boat it it is difficult to fish walleye out of and you are far more limited to the number of passengers you can have. For the most part you are limited to two.  A glass bass boat will have far more storage then a walleye boat though. The ride in a glass boat is far more comfortable running in rough water and easier to handle in my opinion.  I currently run a Ranger Z521 but next boat will be a Ranger but I will move to the 620 series so I can fish multi species and take my grand children fishing more then 1-2 at a time and fish walleye more efficiently.  I would reccomend riding in both prior to purchase. The first time I rode in a bass boat I was a little uncomfortable sitting that low in the water but got used to it very quickly. Regarding Bass anglers in MN there are actually more registerd bass boats per capita then any other state in the country and the number one Ranger dealer in the country is in MN. Good luck with your decision.  

I'm enjoying the conversation.  I have a question for those that have boat a boat out of state.  What kind of questions or research do you do to mitigate your risk?!?  I would hate to spend the time and energy driving for the day to pick up what I think is a boat of my dreams only to turn around empty handed.

Thanks for all the info it has been helpful. I am convinced I will be looking for a 18 foot fiberglass bass boat just not sure what brand yet I do like how some have three seats and not only two that would be nice for when my two kids want to come with.

I have a 2012 Stratos 186xt with 115 hp E-tec. It has 3 seats in the pit and 2 pedestals. I very rarely fish with  more than one other person so it has worked great for me perfect blend of size small enough for easy towing great fuel economy casting deck large enough for 2 big guys. I believe the VLO is the model that replaced my model. Whatever your choice go with 24 or 36 volt trolling motor the package deals always have 12 volt and they are not enough. I have the 24volt fortex and it has handled every all day wind I have thrown at it.

Mwal

This year I upgraded my boat to the motorguide xi5 80 pound 2 volt motor and I love it plan on keeping it and putting it on the next  boat. even though I will probably be the only guy with a bass boat and wont have a cable drive motor on it.

It's tough to find a boat that works well in all conditions. Glass bass boats are great to fish out of, the bigger ones handle rougher water, if you  learn how to drive in it.

Don't over look alum. thou. My heart pines with  the look of a fancy glass boat, and the handling ( I've had three Rangers), but love my Ranger RT178. ( 17-8 alum. bass boat)

FYI. Triton and Ranger boats, although different companies ; the glass boats are built in the same factory:).       

Trout,  I've been doing alot of looking for what my next boat will be.  I mostly bass fish, so I want deck space, front and back, and rod storage. Mostly 2 in the boat, but 3 often enough that 3 should fish comfortably. Mostly small water, but 3 or 4 trips a year to Mille Lacs and Cheq. Bay. I would like dual console ( for my partners sake), but not a full windshield. 18 ft or so because of cost, weight, and I like to get into smaller waters on occassion. And glass for the ride.      Skeeter MX 1825 sure looks like it covers it all.  Deeper hull, but sits low to the water. Maxed out with a 200hp , but alot of guys are going with the 150 4 stroke. It looks like it falls in the 32k-34k range.  James Holst has been fishing out of  the mx 2025 on alot of ido shows and I really like the layout. There's alot of talk about the mx at the "other page".

I have a 17ft.  single console Alumacraft Competitor now and it's gone everywhere I wanted to go, but I would like to go with a drier, glass ride, with a little more speed.

As far as aluminum, Lund made a Preditor 1810 and 2010 for a couple years, which is pretty much a deep hull bass boat (or muskie, their target buyer, I think). Sweet boat. I think there's one around here with a Krugerfarms wrap on it.

rascal 

Thanks for all the replys im still looking I usually spend some time through out the day looking at boats. Its tough when I fish a tournament and see the guys with bass boats thinking I need one just not sure what one yet. I thought I was set on glass but then crestliner sent me there new brochure and I think there bass boats look nice too.

Do you need to change your habits with a glass boat. With my aluminum I fish The River a bunch in the Fall.  I beach it on gravel when I launch at a fairly primitive launch.  I've heard keel guards help.  Do I have to install it or do they come with keel guards?  I've got my share of dock rash on my 12 yr old boat.   Is it like a car, when you get the first door ding it's no big deal anymore?

No funny thing after all my research and looking I didn't end up getting anything. Decided to stick with what I have for a couple more years. I like the new lunds but cant see spending the 40,000 plus they want for them. So im hoping that they are a hit and they start to make a 17 foot sometime down the road. The tuffys look nice you can get a deep v with a lot of floor space also.