• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum vs Glass

Trout26

So Im looking at buying my first bass boat next year. And need some input since I don't know much about bass boats. I have been looking at something like the nitro z7 or stratos 189 vlo or crestliner vt 19 I can get alittle bigger aluminum boat vs little smaller glass boat for around same price msrp anyways I haven't talked to any dealers just internet pricing. Need some pros and cons 95% of the time I bass fish or crappie fish and fish lakes 5000 acres to 200 acres and I started fishing a local league and tournaments. All input is appreciated. And looking at buying new. Thanks

Definitely go with a glass boat. Will handle wind way better and the casting platform is way better. Storage options in a glass boat are awesome as well. Only positive I can think of for an aluminum boat would be its lighter and get into smaller lakes a little better maybe and can be a good river fishing boat. Otherwise a glass bass rig is definitely the way to go. 

Edited by bassfshin24

I'm in the same boat as Trout26....  no pun intended  haha.  I've been trying to decide if I should go glass or aluminum when I buy a new boat hopefully next spring.  My fear with glass is scratching the bottom of it and fuel efficiency.  It sounds like glass has more storage and is heavier so wind wont be as much of a pain.  Then there's always the "cool factor".  Aluminum seems like it would be more worry free from hitting rocks etc. and maybe better on fuel.   

Price is not as big of a difference as a guy thinks. All three boats I listed the nitro z7, stratos 189 vlo, and crestliner vt 19 all appear to be around that 27000 to 30,000  dollar range with a 150 on the back. Like I said though I haven't talked to a dealer either that is just internet pricing.

For that budget I would look for something bigger than a 18fter. You can get a really awesome used 19.5-21fter for $30k. But if space is an issue to store the boat then that makes since but if you can get into a 19-21fter go for it! 

I would also consider resale values.  Correct me if I'm wrong but glass boats tend to depreciate faster then aluminum.  My guess would be its because aluminum boats tend to be more durable and last longer.  The gelcoat in fiberglass cracks over time.  Also, fiberglass can rot.  I know because I worked at a glass boat factory for almost 2 years.

In my opinion, if your an avid bass fisherman and you plan on fishing tournaments, you should get a glass bass boat, but I would replace it at the most, every 8 years.  If your like me and plan on keeping the boat for about 10 years, fish rivers and lakes, big and small, I would go with aluminum.

I own a 2006 Crestliner and I've been very happy with it.

Nels

Boat control is everything,  I've been fishing out if an 18 foot aluminum and the wind is always a factor.  Drifting walleyes we throw out 2 drift socks and the glass boats still move slower than us. Not to mention ripping across a lake the glass boats handle the waves so much better. If your vehicle can handle pulling around a heavy boat, it's pretty much a no brainer.

Right know I have a 2012 Crestliner 1650 fish hawk. I have never owned a bass boat my boat before this was a 17 foot Glastron so I guess my biggest questions are what boat will handle waves better and say if I want to head to red lake for the weekend walleye fishing would I be able to in either boat and not worry about it if the are 2 foot rollers 

If you want to consistently fish true 2'ers no bass boat in the under 21' range will do the job comfortably. They just are not  built for that, the crestliner would be worse than the 2 glass boats, it is lower to the water and not built for that. If you are looking at aluminum look at the new Rangers, they are also cheaper than the Crestliner

Thanks no I don't want to fish 2 foot waves alot just wondering if it came up how would any of them handle it. Biggest reason is I like to take a walleye trip once or twice a year and I have never been in a bass boat to know how it would handle waves. Kind of wish someone made a in between bass and deep v like the Lund predator was with a big front deck 

If you want to consistently fish true 2'ers no bass boat in the under 21' range will do the job comfortably. They just are not  built for that, the crestliner would be worse than the 2 glass boats, it is lower to the water and not built for that. If you are looking at aluminum look at the new Rangers, they are also cheaper than the Crestliner

I have to disagree. I've fished out of an 18' glass boat (Both Triton and Ranger) in very rough conditions, and it was fine.  My boat, a Bass Cat Puma, is a bit under 21' and has had to handle bigger waves than 2' in tourneys.

The only time I have been really uncomfortable in a Bass Boat was a few years back when the NABC event on Leech was in a borderline hurricane...I was in a 21' Champion, and thought I was going to die.

Are you looking for brand new or would you consider used? 

If you are going for used I would look into a 19-21ft Ranger, Basscat, Skeeter, and Triton. People will say Ranger and Cat are your better boats but I love my Triton. for 30k you can probably find a great deal on 2008-2010 20-21fter.

If you are looking at a new boat you probably will have to stay around that 18ft mark. For 30k you can probably get a Triton, Stratos, Nitro, Skeeter. 

You can still probably find a nice used one only a year or 2 old that has nice electronics or some bells in whistles on it. Thats the beauty of going with a used boat...you save some money and you can spend that money on nice electronics or Talons-Powerpoles. New is definitely a nice feeling though! Check out bass boat central dot com or classic bass dot com. Some really good deals on there. 

bassfshin24

Thanks for the info I will end up doing a lot of shopping around before I buy. That does look like a nice boat its tough trying to find people in MN that do much bass fishing or even has a bass boat at all. Walleye is king up here and it shows not hard to find reviews or find people that have deep v boats.