• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just wondering how the woods're looking for others.  I was up in Canada on a canoe trip last week, and I saw multiple species and genera of boletes (mostly leccinum), oysters, and even a few russulas out and about.  Given the variety up there, I was hoping to find a few of the summer varieties out in my local woods, but two days and twenty miles later, I don't have much to show for it: a few old oysters and dank, chalky chickens, that's it.  There were a few LBM's out and about. My yard is full of fairy rings, and I even saw a big white 'shroom growing from the local disc golf course--probably a pinkie or a chlorophyllum.  Other than that, the woods were bare.  

I sure hope some of y'all have been doing better than I have.  It shouldn't be long now here in central Minnesota, but I've only got a few bags of morels left. I'm saving all my oysters for the soon-to-be in-laws. :) 

Appreciate reading your reports Stick in the Mud.  I'm more of a reader than poster myself.  But, yeah - this forum went dead after they changed things up.  I really enjoyed reading all the reports some of you guys put out and seeing pics.  I learned a lot and started shrooming a bit myself.  So far this year, I harvested some morels and pheasant backs back in May.  That's it.  I'm assuming Puffballs will be showing up soon.  I've never tried oysters (still not confident in identifying them).  Same with Chants.  In fact - question for you on Chants.  Do they grow all over the state?  Or just up North?  I live in SE Metro and mostly hunt on my parents old farm which is South of Lakeville.

My favorite shroom by far is the Hen of the Woods.  Pretty fail proof to ID.  Easy to find (just look for Oaks) and get to since the bugs/ticks die down by late summer/early fall.  And of course if you find one - it's worth it since they are so big.  What's a guy supposed to do with one morel?  HA!

I don't know if it's the changeover with the forums that's caused the quiet around here.  Most people are probably spending more time outside and less time typing at their computers.  Plus, there usually seems to be a gap between when the spring mushrooms fruit (morels and oysters, primarily) and when the summer varieties show up.  Around here, that's usually June...now that July is upon us, it should only get better from here on out.  

The only part of the state I *haven't* found chant is in the prairies of the southwest part.  Southeast MN is fantastic for them; in fact, the only place I do better for them is up in or near the BWCA, where they're incredibly easy to see as they stick out above the pine duff or moss.  They also like oaks--especially white ones, it seems--but I often find them in grassy areas where they aren't quite as easy to see.  

Hens should be popping up here in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see reports of some in southern Minnesota already. 

Ahh...good to know.  I've never put much effort into looking for Chants.  I'm going to actually try this year.  I've also read they prefer slopes towards water.  I've never found a hen before October where I look.  But then again, I've never looked before late September/October either.  Maybe I have some late woods.  Or maybe I just need to spend more time looking.  I just find later is much more enjoyable for looking due to better conditions (cooler, less foliage, bugs, ticks etc.).

As far as this Forum, I saw a huge drop in activity after the switch - at least in the specific ones I follow.  I think most people these days are able to spend time at the jobs or hobbies and still stay plugged in.  But I hope you are right!  Anyway - keep posting and I love when you guys post pics.  Maybe that will bring some guys out of the woods and back to the forum.

I have been finding a few shrooms the last couple days. Grabbed my first chanterelles of the season and a few chickens. I have been guilty of no posts myself.... Busy with summer and the new forum is a little goofy to get used to as well. It's close to boom time now! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice finds, jerk.   I like the cincninnatus...I didn't find one last year that wasn't already too old. :(     The chants should be picking up around here, but my "typical" spots seem to be boom or bust for them.  Last year was a boom; hopefully this year is a repeat. 

Headed to the woods this weekend, hopefully I will have a good report for you guys. Chants are one I would like to focus on, but am fairly new to all this. I have read that if you cut the state in half, in the southern parts of the state look for white oaks, and in the northern part, because of the lack of white oaks, look in the pines, so I will have to look in the pines where we are at. Will let you know if I'm successful!!

Now that the "lull" for us is coming to an end, things should start picking up in the woods as well as in this forum.  I have a couple of chant spots that I know would produce right now, but I'm resisting the temptation to go pick them.  Instead, I'm going to wait until they have a chance to grow.  Next week should be pretty prime and I'll probably spend a fair amount of time wandering around foraging starting then.  This rain should make for some good picking!

I'm heading to Canada for the last week in July and can't wait to see what I find up there!  The last few years (since I started picking summer shrooms) we've gone up there early in the summer.  This will be the first year I'm up there during prime time and really know what to look for!

I'll be up in Canada on a canoe trip in a few days, and I can't wait to see what's popping up there.  It's SO easy picking in piney and/or mossy woods....chants and lobsters are incredibly easy to see. Lots of delicious varieties of russulas, too (the yellows and the green ones especially).   I'll usually cast out a crankbait, paddle around the edge of the lake, reel in fish, and then pull up on shore whenever I see anything colorful growing out of the ground.  

Lake trout, grilled over coals, with russalas, chants, and lobsters?  YUM.  :) 

I have yet to venture into the world of edible russulas, but you can bet my lake trout wrapped in foil this summer will contain sliced up chanterelles and lobsters!!  You can not find a better shore lunch than that.  I'll take it over walleye any day of the week.  I can't wait!

Do you know of any good reference material for identifying the edible russulas?  I know I'm walking past good ones, but just haven't taken the time to learn them.  Maybe this should be my year.

Nice to know I'm not the only one plying the Canadian depths for lake trout...and the Canadian wilds for edibles.  :) 

Russulas, in my opinion, are actually pretty easy to identify--if not directly to species (which, as far as I can tell, is nearly impossible), than certainly to genus and also to those kinds that are edible and those that are not.  The poisonous ones come in three varieties: 1) the ones that bruise/blush dark when cut, 2) the ones that smell....grossly rottenly sweet.  It's hard to describe, but it's like rotten fruit with some sweetness.  These are usually brownish yellow ones, and when you smell it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, and 3) red-capped russulas.  These are everywhere, and they're easy to avoid.

Edible varieties are the ones that don't fit these three categories.  I'd not experiment for the first time in the piney woods, but feel free to try them.  If you get sick, don't blame me!! ;) 

My favorites are: 

1) Russula claroflava: Yellow cap, white stem.  This one does blush/turn grayish, but none of the other poisonous "blushers" have yellow caps (that I know of).  When in doubt, feed these to other members of the party.  This one's closest to the poisonous ones, so I'd blame Deitz, pushbutton, jerkin'm, or jpz if something goes wrong. 

2) Russula virescens: This one is easy to spot 'cuz it's got a patchy, cracked green cap.  Don't believe me, though...check other sources to verify. 

3) Russula flavida: This one is very yellow, both stem and cap.  Check online resources/ID books for more info.  

That's all I got. I really like all these...they're usually plentiful in mid-summer, and they taste good, at least to me. If you do try them, let me know what you think. 

Thanks Stick,

I've got a very trusting fishing partner.  Over the years I've tricked him into thinking I know much more than I actually do when it comes to this kind of stuff.  It makes him the perfect candidate for testing these new shrooms on.  "Hey, why don't you eat the foil packet on the left, I'll eat the one on the right."  It's going to be a good year!

Do you know of any good reference material for identifying the edible russulas?  I know I'm walking past good ones, but just haven't taken the time to learn them.  Maybe this should be my year.

I have the book 100 edible mushrooms by Micheal Kuo. He goes into great detail in this book, and he covers the edible russulas. If you haven't read it, I would recommend it. I ended up ordering it online from  book depository dot com. Free shipping, and had it within a week. I also ordered his book on morels, but haven't started it yet.

I have the book 100 edible mushrooms by Micheal Kuo. He goes into great detail in this book, and he covers the edible russulas. If you haven't read it, I would recommend it. I ended up ordering it online from  book depository dot com. Free shipping, and had it within a week. I also ordered his book on morels, but haven't started it yet.

​I have the same book and love it!  I don't remember seeing the edible russulas in it, but I'm definitely going to pull it out tonight and do some reading.  It's my favorite mushroom book and I've paged through it so many times I can't believe I don't remember seeing them.  It is going to have to make the trip with me this year so I have some reference material while I'm up there.  Thanks!

I think the lull here is because I'm not finding anything in the woods yet.  In Brainerd here I keep trying, but it's just a bit early.

Thanks Stick.............I've never tried Russulas so don't blame me!

​I have the same book and love it!  I don't remember seeing the edible russulas in it, but I'm definitely going to pull it out tonight and do some reading.  It's my favorite mushroom book and I've paged through it so many times I can't believe I don't remember seeing them.  It is going to have to make the trip with me this year so I have some reference material while I'm up there.  Thanks!

​If I remember right they are in the difficult to id section of the book towards the back. Which is also where he categorizes lobsters, which I found a little odd. I know there are poisonous varieties that he goes over in the poisonous section well. That is why, being a newbie to this addiction, I will have to pass on these till I feel more comfortable with the id process. Good look, and be sure of what you are eating. Would hate to see you wind up with "HFS" while on a camping trip!! A little Micheal Kuo humor for you!!  

Don't worry about me.  My fishing buddy would be the one dealing with HFS while I'm catching walleyes and trout!!  More fish for me!  I'll throw a couple extra rolls of TP into the boat for him, since I'm a nice guy.

Edited by NoWiser