• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surfacing Bait

PurpleCatMan

I've bee seeing a lot of schools of sunnies surfacing near the outside of weed edges (lake I was on this was 15-17ft).  Occasionally I'll see a game fish chase them all the way out of the water.  Assuming these game fish are bass, what do you all like to target them with?  I've always fished t-rigs and jig worms on the outside like that but I got to thinking maybe I should be trying something higher in the water column.

Squarebills actually work pretty well in that situation. When the bait is up, sometimes easy to fish under them and not catch much even though fish are there. If I'm fishing a jig and start getting hit on the drop a lot that's a sign they're up high. Can still fish a jig just bulk up the trailer or use a lighter jig to slow the fall. A Beaver on a mushroom head jig, or a jigworm also works really well. 

While fishing this morning I noticed a small school of sunnies dimpling the surface. I casted my DT10 bluegill pattern right through the center of them ad caught a 3 pounder. A few minutes later I noticed a sunny busting on the surface. Pitched a wacky worm to that spot, fish onnnn. Another 3 pounder. Only fish I caught all morning, rough day! But I can definitely say they were relating to sunnies.