• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kenmore microwave wont heat

rundrave

i have a kenmore 401.80089700 microwave that no longer heats up food. I bought it new 5 years ago from sears and it is an above range unit.

everything else works, key pad, lights etc, it just doesnt heat up anything. I unplugged it for a while, made sure power level was adjusted to 100 etc and nothing changed.

I googled the model number but all i see is parts etc and troubleshooting transformers, magnetrons, and rectifiers which I dont want to mess with. Anyone else have any ideas? I hate to call an appliance place to pay for a service call and parts by the time thats done Im probably almost half way into the cost of a new one.

also my wife likes to slice up zucchini really thin and microwave them on these special trays for extended periods of time to make chips. if this is done repeatedly can it be hard on the microwave? it actually stopped while she was doing this exact thing, her 2nd batch of the evening.

The magnetron is a tube that makes the actual microwave radiation.   It is powered by a high voltage power supply of several thousand volts. 

Running a microwave with very little load, like a few dried zucchini slices can be hard on the magnetron and power supply.  You might see if there are any fuses in the unit, but be careful of the high voltage. 

Microwaves these days are practically disposable.

Running a 'wave for extended periods is VERY hard on the unit, just like del said. If it was done numerous times, I'd say there's a very good chance your magnetron is fried. Is it worth fixing? That's a toss up, but from what you've said, I think I'd be browsing for a new one...and get your wife a dehydrator at the same time.

thanks for the replies....I will probably just look for a 4th of july sale this weekend and get another one. I was afraid of that but going a few days without a microwave is taking its toll on the family lol.

probably have to buy a dehydrator as well

401 model numbers are Samsung built microwaves.  At our store, we feel average life of an over the range microwave is 5-6 years.  WE don't really recommend consumers digging into a microwave unless you have your favorite songs picked out for your service due to the high voltage transformer.  One poke in the wrong place with a screwdriver and you'll be the last thing it cooks.  Given its age, a fuse could be worth doing, but a mag tube with labor might be more than most folks would spend.

Given its age, a fuse could be worth doing, but a mag tube with labor might be more than most folks would spend.

​we bought a new one last week and I haven't turned a screw on the old one.

The question remains, what do I do with the old one? Is it worth anything to anyone, will any repair shops take it. I hate to just throw it out. If I cant find someone to take it off my hands it will get dropped off at the Year-Round Electronic Recycling Drop off at our household hazardous waste facility.