• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's been a while since I've been active in fishing forums.  Social media had taken over but I feel that there is more opportunity to help people and share valuable information.

Hopefully I will be able to do that.

That being said it's time to get down to business!  I went out fishing yesterday with Brooke and Cole in search of anything that would bite.  I was hoping for Crappies and to be honest we had to work at it.  The first lake we hit was a bust.  Bluegills were crazy everywhere we looked and they would constantly attack our baits.  We decided to move lakes rather than wait 5 hours for the evening bite to hopefully take place.  We hit the water on Lake #2 and noticed that there was a lack of good weeds so we searched for anything we could find.  Surprisingly we found the fish in 2-4' of water in and around any weeds we could find.  We started popping Crappies pretty well on Gulp! Alive! 1" Minnows and the Berkley Atomic Pulse tubes (which are being discontinued :(  ).  At times we had 3 fish on at once!  We used floats with some success as well.  It seems a bit strange for me to use them this time of year but it got us a few more bites.  

Hopefully everyone is having a good start to the Summer and finding some fish as well.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Been finding the crappies in the thick cabbage, mostly mid-lake. 8-12' of water has been perfect. Been pitching Flu-Flu's with a minnow under a float into the pockets, or trolling Salmo Hornets around them.

IMG_20150613_200917712_HDR.jpg

Edited by Matt Breuer

Very nicely done Matty B!!!  My recent activity for Crappies has been fishing shallow weedlines adjacent to docks and lifts.  No big surprise there but we don't have a lot of deep cabbage down here.  Every time I get up north I have to re learn how to target fish in the weeds.  That wish might come true later this summer when we bring my daughter back up to College.  

This weekend is shaping up to be a good one and I hope to have a good report soon!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

This past weekend was an interesting one for me.  A lot of the usual weedy areas had disappeared and so did the fish.  They seemed to gravitate to the docks that offered the most shade/cover along with some deep water nearby.  Once I found the good areas it was game on!!!  It amazes me how many fish will pack in these high percentage spots!  Baits didn't really seem to matter as long as they wee brighter colored.  I used some of the new Johnson tubes along with the Gulp! Stuff.  The tubes worked a bit better as I was able to catch more fish per bait with them.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

caught crappies and big gills in 5 - 12 feet last night. Some of them were on the edge of the lily pads and bullrushes, some were out deeper on the edge of the cabbage. Checked out deep, too, but didn't graph anything. High winds made boat control tough, so we couldn't catch more than 1 or 2 from any single spot. Just one or two here and there, had to keep moving. Tried to anchor on one spot that put out two quick fish, but once we got the boat locked in position the school seemed to move on.

Best bait was 1/16 oz jig with white plastic. Twister tails and 2" Gulp minnows both worked about the same. Tried crappie minnows for a bit but that didn't produce any better than the plastics. Also caught one on an Ultra Light Rippin Rap that I had been wanting to try in open water. Also tried pitching and trolling beetle spins but that didn't produce.

This was on a 200-acre lake that gets about 30' deep and has about 6' clarity. Water temp about 76F.

I have been fishing mid lake humps (10-15' down) humps come up to 3-5'... I like to use Swedish pimples tipped with plastics but I sometimes find this too big a rig... But the 1/32 or 1/64 jigs are too slow to drop in deeper water. do you guys use a split shot? I will try the drop shot rig MJ mentioned but I would still like some info on using split shots above light jigs? 

I am not a fan of using a split shot, because if there is a up bite you will not feel it. I have to play around with the drop shot method more, because I believe this could be a game changer. 

Sometimes you have to use a split shot, but look for other options first. Such as Tungsten Jigs there is some biggers ones on the market and that might help. 

I went back to Mono for the slower drop reason a year ago... it just seemed to work better but the little jigs seem to drop almost too slow. The impulse prerigged ones take like way too long to get to 15' it seems. Weedlines are still also something I am keying on. Hoping for some bites this weekend! May have to try tubes...

I have been finding some fish in some shallow wood very early in the day. Once in a while it will be a fish or 2 on a bobber & jig or a bobber/jig & minnow but most often it's been it's a plain bobber/hook/minnow set up working best.

I fish a large lake that has algae stained water.    We found nice sunnies (8 to 8 1/2 inches) in two types of places.

There is an area that is a large bar with mud bottom.   There we found them in 11 - 14 foot of water.     We were also able able to find some in the sparser reeds.   It was a bit hit or miss there are there are miles of reeds on the lake.   In those cases the fish were in 6 or 7 foot of water.

The fish were caught vertical jigging with our ice fishing rods either waxies or gulp minnows.    The waxies provided more action,  the gulp had a better average size and provided a few bonus crappies.   There were 4 of us fishing and only one was not using an ice fishing rod and he only caught one over 8 inches compared to those using the ice fishing rods catching 12 - 25.  

The larger bluegill bites were very subtle and they were relating very close to the bottom.  My buddies were having some luck leaving their bait on the bottom for a few seconds and it appeared the fish either picked it up off of the bottom or immediately after it came off of the bottom.

Reading the other posts, I think I need to add a dropshot rig for this type of fishing.    Also in hindsight I would have pounded the bottom with my jig like I do ice fishing.

Found some good fish on the mid lake humps and Pimples with gulp triggered plenty of action. Don't lock yourself into shorelines and weed points... plenty of mid lake structure is holding fish also.  

We also tried the drop shot method but that I think I need to spend some time practicing as the bites were harder for me to tell... so much to learn and so little free weekends to do it...

Still finding the larger gills and slabs near deeper cabbage.  I dont transition to deeper water until fall or if I can not find them I'll look for tiny variances regarding the depth.  Main lake flats with 1-2' "holes".  If you dont have a trolling motor that will anchor it'll be a long day in the boat trying to hold that spot with a little wind.  Which is why I rarely leave the cabbage.  Clear lakes, that cabbage will grow in 10-12', set that slip to 8-9' and you should find some action.  Put on those polarized glasses and look for open areas between the cabbage or just off the end of the cabbage.  I agree with Moose on the split shot deal, hate using them but not so much for the feel but for the line weakening on hook sets.  Ive broken countless setups on 4lb test right at the sinker.  Nothing ruins a great bite more than having to re-tie, get blown off the spot, re-bait, ugh the frustration.  

I would love to have a post of what is working.   But last weekend I pretty found out what was not working   Spent two days heavily targeting pannies.   Man we tried, humps,  we tried in the reeds and the edges of the reeds,  we worked weedy drop-offs from deep to shallow.   We tried, waxies, plastics, gulp, panfish leeches.   I even tried drop shotting after reading about it here. 

in the end we had about 5 fish we could have kept.   We did catch some smaller ones but not even that many of them.    The electronics thought we were on fish often.  Our rods not so much.  :)  

Oh well, I guess I just have to admit the fish won this round.   

Sorry it's been a while since I posted last.our family has been busy with camping, outdoor camps, family reunion, birthday parties, etc...

I plan on fishing on Friday but am nervous because the cooler weather and rainfall may have the fish scattered.  I hope to find something so I'll let you know how it goes.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

image.jpg