• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scale Advice Needed.

Juan Grande

Looking at buying a digital scale and need some advice.  The Berkley Lip Grip with digital scale is on sale at the big C.  Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the scale? Any other recommendations on scales under or around $50.  I'm not really partial to the lip grip, just thought it would be less likely to injure the fish than the gill hook ones. 

Thanks!

I use the Rapala digital scale with the hook. It is the one listed for $36.99 at Cabelas. I thought the same thing about the hook, but actually it has been fine. I'm just careful of the gills when I weigh them. The only problem I have is sometimes I think the fish should be heavier than the scale says! Then again, I guess I don't complain when its weighs heavier than I thought it was. I did weigh some bananas once and it was the same as what the grocery store scale weighed them at. I think their pretty accurate. I got the 15lb version.

Edited by RuddyDuck

Rapala culling scale. Its quite accurate and comes with a clamp which I prefer more than the hook like traditional scales. Also, you can save up to 8 fish (or maybe its 10?) in memory, which could be cool even if you're not fishing tournaments. It comes with numbered tags if you are fishing in tournaments. The tags do have a tendency to come off if/when the fish get feisty in the livewell which is quite annoying.

I second the Rapala Culling Scale.  I have the 50lb version and love it, I have modified the fish clips so they don't come off when they get fiesty but otherwise it is very accurate.